Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support public financing to build a stadium for the Raiders
Yes 33 27.05%
No 89 72.95%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:32 PM

452 posts, read 335,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
Super Bowls are money losers. UNLV can still build their stadium and no boxing match is going to be held in a venue that size.
Vegas won't lose money on a Super Bowl, and boxing matches are already being held in venues that size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 05:45 PM

799 posts, read 706,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
They also said that when a city gets a team that it's huge for a city and that it does generate revenue and revitalizes an area. New businesses come in and build up around the stadium and that creates a new tax base generating revenue which benefits the general population. These teams draw business. However, my take from it was that it really generates revenue for big investors because these are the groups that will be building around the stadiums. Not local Mom and Pop shops but chain stores you see all across the USA.
If you're ever in L.A., go drive around the Coliseum (This is where the raiders played when they were there) It is a feces hole, and was when the raiders played there. I went to games, and parked on peoples front lawns (for a fee). I guess you could call it drawing business and revitalizing the area, but that's probably not what the picture you see when you read/hear those flowery words.

And it really really comes down to plain old common sense. If pro football stadiums are such great investments, why aren't the billionaires who own the teams paying for them so they can reap those awesome rewards? Answer: the billionaires are smart enough to know that they are extremely poor investments for losers, which is why they try to fool the taxpayers into paying for them.

I've been a football fan since I was a kid playing tackle out in the street. (yes we did that back before helicopter parents, and <gasp> survived!) If the raiders want to move here, great, just as long as it's done without the obligation of the taxpayer. The taxpayers should not be considered as an ATM.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:31 PM

9,826 posts, read 7,125,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Having the stadium will lead to Las Vegas eventually getting a soccer team and hosting international soccer games. You talk about putting Las Vegas on the map even more so globally, thats one way.
An MLS team will probably require building another stadium just for them as playing in a 70K seat stadium in front of 20K fans isn't what MLS wants - most teams are planning soccer specific stadiums for that reason.

The drawbacks to a soccer team in Vegas is the playing surface - most teams have grass and we all know how difficult it is to maintain grass in the desert during the summer - and the fact that it's still pretty hot on the evening when the teams play. Are fans going to be willing to pay to sit outside on a hot Saturday night?

Don't get me wrong - it would be great for MLS to be able to expand. But a unless the MLS team is owned by the stadium owner, it's not financially viable for MLS to play in NFL stadiums.

I could see a new NFL stadium being used for hosting international games just as long as the promoter is willing to pay the cost of bringing in natural turf. I went to a Portugal v. Brazil friendly at Gillette Stadium before the World Cup and they required a grass field be installed over the artificial turf as did Copa America when it was played here last month. Robert Kraft is willing to pay that cost every time the opportunity for an international match comes up.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:55 AM

621 posts, read 537,505 times
As I don't yet live in Las Vegas, please one of you locals correct me if my post is misguided here. Where I live, near Buffalo, NY, there is a lot of talk right now about a new downtown stadium being built for the Buffalo Bills. When the stadium is discussed many people automatically say 'I'm for it as long as the taxpayers don't have to foot a substantial part of the bill.' I see a lot of people in this forum saying the same about a potential stadium in LV. The difference seems to be that here we actually have our taxes increased for projects of this nature and there you raise taxes on hotel stays and essentially get tourists to foot the bill. Your taxpayers would appear to have zero liability.

I understand that there is only so high room taxes can be raised before people may choose to go somewhere else on vacation and that would hurt the local economy to some degree, but I think a lot of folks that aren't big sports fans don't realize what having professional sports in your town does to a community. Buffalo would be even more depressing than it is currently if the Bills and/or Sabres ever left town. A state of the art stadium in LV would have so many other potential uses as well. I would be inclined to agree that $750 million is an unreasonable price tag for "public" funding, but it sounds like many wouldn't agree to it even if it were $250 million, which is what the proposed cost was going to be to replace Sam Boyd if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Private enterprise using taxpayer money to build their sporting empires seems like a scam to me, if you want to build stadiums and arenas use your money not mine.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:53 AM

15,801 posts, read 14,414,927 times
One problem with this concept is the team in question. Has any other team moved more than the Raiders? Even if they move to Vegas, are they going to leave ASAP if it doesn't prove as lucrative as they expect? And, I know the old man is dead, but in the ranks of scurrilous sports team owners, the Davises rank pretty high.

Unless this is a fully private development, Clark County/LVCAVA should walk away from this deal.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:21 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,019,906 times
Quote:
If you're ever in L.A., go drive around the Coliseum (This is where the raiders played when they were there) It is a feces hole, and was when the raiders played there.
Surely the new stadium will be more modern than one built in 1923.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,019,906 times
Quote:
If pro football stadiums are such great investments, why aren't the billionaires who own the teams paying for them so they can reap those awesome rewards?
Better answer: The increased economic activity in the community is a greater benefit to the community than it is to the team owner, who can only reap a fraction of 'those awesome rewards'.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Surely the new stadium will be more modern than one built in 1923.
Yes, but the quote was that a pro football team "revitalizes" an area. The raiders most certainly did nothing of the sort for the L.A. area. It sounds good in a press release, but reality shows that's not exactly true.

If they said 'it could", it wouldn't be as much of an exaggeration. Trying to sell a bad deal to the less intelligent is all that is.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Better answer: The increased economic activity in the community is a greater benefit to the community than it is to the team owner, who can only reap a fraction of 'those awesome rewards'.
That argument doesn't really work either. If the billionaire football team owner owned the stadium, he or she could rent it out for whatever event at whatever price they wanted, same as the local community could. So, yes, they could reap the same rewards as whoever owned the stadium.

And if you're trying to put some value on the "pride" of living in a city that happens to be someplace where a billionaire decided to conduct their football business, I can't see a benefit large enough to spend/be responsible for $700 million bucks to feel good about the job someone else (the football players) does. It's fun and all to root for a team, but you've got a screw loose if your life is somehow impacted by their success or failure.

And don't get me wrong, I love football, and if there was a team, I might even go to a game now and then. But I oppose spending/obligating public money for a place for billionaires to conduct business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas