U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:13 AM

5,023 posts, read 12,188,287 times

Advertisements

Yes...YOU were at fault....you are entitled to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 11:10 AM

2,494 posts, read 3,617,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
When you applied for the job did you mark the box stating that you have a medical condition that can prohibit you from doing your job? Did the employer know that you have a medical condition?
That's the million dollar question and in my mind what would solely decide his fate one way or another.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:07 PM
EA

5,184 posts, read 4,295,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
When i showed them the MVR of the guy who had 3 DUIs in 10 years and said "What if HE had been the one who killed the woman?" that changed their mind.

The worst part of this is a person with 3 duis has a license. 3 duis should be a lengthy prison sentence.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM

6 posts, read 3,237 times
Default Thanks Labonte18

Yes, diabetics like me can still work because we are on oral medication. I had just been to my doctors appt. 3 weeks before this accident. After the accident I went back to her and in her office my blood sugar dropped to 30, and she immediately had me cut the dosage she gave me in half. The company said I was driving unprofessional because I didn't slow down or stop. Mind you I have been a perfect driver for 3 years with this company and even got awards. They totally disregarded what the hospital said and said they reviewed the video and I was awake and didn't stop. They couldn't understand why I never saw the vehicle in front or remember it. Just said the cop cited you therefore it was your fault. I am just devastated by this!! I will fight this and hope unemployment takes this all in to account. My eyes might have been open to the company but I was not coherent. Thanks for understanding and your help!!

Old 07-16-2016, 07:00 PM

8,867 posts, read 15,798,766 times
If you could get a letter from your doctor stating what you've just written here, I think you'd have a very good case. Without it, or without a doctor testifying for you, I'd guess you've got a pretty slim chance.

Try to get a statement from your doc. She doesn't have to say (and probably won't, for liability concerns) that the med change caused the accident, but if she stated that she changed your meds, then adjusted them, that would be a start. If she further stated that the med change could have resulted in the accident, you should be home free.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
27,086 posts, read 47,372,554 times
I really don't think anything else, including the medical condition matters. When the police issued a citation, and assign fault for the accident, it's clearly solid grounds for dismissal for cause, and not likely that UI would be granted even on appeal.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:50 PM

12,201 posts, read 8,765,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I really don't think anything else, including the medical condition matters. When the police issued a citation, and assign fault for the accident, it's clearly solid grounds for dismissal for cause, and not likely that UI would be granted even on appeal.
So the unemployment insurance premiums that your various employers have paid into the system are essentially useless, unless you were a perfect employee, and never made a mistake? I've never collected UI, so I'm just asking.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:08 PM

7,226 posts, read 5,203,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisala39 View Post
Yes, diabetics like me can still work because we are on oral medication. I had just been to my doctors appt. 3 weeks before this accident. After the accident I went back to her and in her office my blood sugar dropped to 30, and she immediately had me cut the dosage she gave me in half. The company said I was driving unprofessional because I didn't slow down or stop. Mind you I have been a perfect driver for 3 years with this company and even got awards. They totally disregarded what the hospital said and said they reviewed the video and I was awake and didn't stop. They couldn't understand why I never saw the vehicle in front or remember it. Just said the cop cited you therefore it was your fault. I am just devastated by this!! I will fight this and hope unemployment takes this all in to account. My eyes might have been open to the company but I was not coherent. Thanks for understanding and your help!!
Again, you need to ask in the Unemployment section. There's people far smarter than I about how it works. I think you have a chance.. But, what I think doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
So the unemployment insurance premiums that your various employers have paid into the system are essentially useless, unless you were a perfect employee, and never made a mistake? I've never collected UI, so I'm just asking.
Yes.. That's one of the intents of the program. It is not for people who quit for no good reason, people who are fired for cause. The only way you are pretty much guaranteed to collect is if you are laid off.

I've been unemployed for about 3 days in my life. Been good, and been lucky. Got laid off in '09, picked up another job the next day. It was a miserable job.. I lasted about 6 months there before walking out. Had already lined up to go full time/contractor with a company I had been part time with for 5 years.. We mutually ended that contract in '13 and I was terrified, because there was no net there for me. Self employed it's hard to get UI. But, that day, there was a good fit job posting.. Interviewed the next day, started the day after that. Been there since.

The company that laid me off in '09, I had been with them 10 years. They gave a nice severance, but of course, had to sign the 'no disparagement' thing.. They wouldn't fight UI, I wouldn't bad mouth them.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
That's the million dollar question and in my mind what would solely decide his fate one way or another.
Yes they knew I was diabetic on oral medications and was required to do a CDL physical every year

Old 07-17-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The Unemployment premiums that other jobs and this job paid into is useless. I was a perfect employee for 3 years and even got awards, but this one incident caused me to get fired, which I do understand, but not able to claim unemployment makes no sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or