Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 03:15 PM

6,750 posts, read 3,365,850 times

Advertisements

The Kings are already in L.A. and there is a minor league team in AZ called the Outlaws. Finding a name that hasn't been used or one that can be used is difficult. Many of the good ones are taken.

I was looking at animal names that are indigenous to the area. There really aren't many that would make a good hockey team name. Nobody would want to play for the Bighorns or the Burros. Not the Jackrabbits or Iguanas, either.

I'm curious as to what they finally come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 03:41 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
I read on here recently someone mentioned desert tortoises. Not for a hockey name but they're indigenous. I had no idea!

I don't think the Bighorns or the Cotton tails would be bad. I mean Idaho's is a fish. Plus they're more family friendly than scorpions or black widows.

What about a jackalope? The mythical creature of north america. It wasn't until I moved here I started seeing restaurants and various places have their heads mounted on plaques here. I'd completely forgotten about them since I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVWlt4I7yS4

Old 08-08-2016, 03:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 3,365,850 times
Bighorns MIGHT be okay, but no self-respecting hockey player would want to play for the Cotton Tails. LOL!

Old 08-08-2016, 03:49 PM

452 posts, read 336,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I read on here recently someone mentioned desert tortoises. Not for a hockey name but they're indigenous. I had no idea!

I don't think the Bighorns or the Cotton tails would be bad. I mean Idaho's is a fish. Plus they're more family friendly than scorpions or black widows.

What about a jackalope? The mythical creature of north america. It wasn't until I moved here I started seeing restaurants and various places have their heads mounted on plaques here. I'd completely forgotten about them since I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVWlt4I7yS4
No one has ever heard of the Idaho steelheads that you keep taking about. This is professional sports and needs a professional name.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:49 PM

Here comes Peter Cottontail hopping down the bunny trail. Hippity, Hoppity, hippity, hoppity...

Old 08-08-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
No one has ever heard of the Idaho steelheads that you keep taking about. This is professional sports and needs a professional name.
What!? History - Idaho Steelheads

Old 08-08-2016, 04:06 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
Well you've got teams called Blue Jays (name chosen by Labatt's - the team owners at the time - to tie in with Labatt's Blue, their feature product) and Pelicans.

The poster with the passion for the Steelheads doth protest too much. Steelheads is fine for a minor league team but not for the major leagues IMHO. And sorry, but until they were mentioned, I had never heard of them.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:01 PM

621 posts, read 538,302 times
Quote:
I think his point is that the Idaho Steelheads are minor league team and you only get on chance to brand this team.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:17 PM

50 posts, read 35,408 times
Quote:
What about a jackalope? ]
Jackalope! I couldn't even imagine the amount of crap they would get if they were called the Jackalopes. The fans in Chicago, Detroit or any NY, NJ team would have a field day with that name.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:21 PM

50 posts, read 35,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Bighorns MIGHT be okay, but no self-respecting hockey player would want to play for the Cotton Tails. LOL!
If they were named the Cotton Tails I'm pretty sure that Sharpton, Jackson and BLM would immediately call the name racist and demand reparations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas