Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 AM

50 posts, read 35,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I was pulled over in Utah for speeding. The Utah cop also had a device that measured the tint on my side windows and he said they exceeded NEVADA law as I have NV plates. And he gave me a tint ticket.

The tint had already been put on the car by the dealership when I bought the car new.

That is un****ing believable. I've lived in Chicago, San Francisco and Austin over the last 20 years and they all have strict window tint laws. But not even money hungry California cops would write a ticket for an out of state tint. Did you just get unlucky enough to get the one cop that knows the laws of all 50 states? Or did he roadside google search Nevada tint law? That really sucks because he knows you're not going to drive back to Utah to dispute it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 12:34 AM

452 posts, read 336,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingpinLasVegas View Post
That is un****ing believable. I've lived in Chicago, San Francisco and Austin over the last 20 years and they all have strict window tint laws. But not even money hungry California cops would write a ticket for an out of state tint. Did you just get unlucky enough to get the one cop that knows the laws of all 50 states? Or did he roadside google search Nevada tint law? That really sucks because he knows you're not going to drive back to Utah to dispute it.
Ive heard utah cops are not very friendly

Old 08-17-2016, 03:12 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:

I've had Cali cops write me for no front plates, which at the time was not required in this state. I worry about driving to Cali with 5% on the sides and back and aftermarket exhaust.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:13 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post

I would consider those temp differences negligible. I did not say nonexistent.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:52 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Along with the device that measured the tint, he had a print-out of the legal limit for all 50 states.

This was on Interstate 15 in Fillmore, Utah -- population 2,253 according to Wikipedia. Fillmore is the county seat for Millard County. Millard and Fillmore are of course named for US President Millard Fillmore, the 13th US President.

Of course, I-15 is the major artery from Las Vegas up to Salt Lake City, and the cop was a local county law enforcement officer -- not Utah Highway Patrol. He was semi-hidden. I think his main job is generating revenue for this little one-stop-light town.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,241 times
Not saying that SportyandMisty didn't get a ticket to fill the cop's quota but there are other reasons.

The main reason for the traffic laws against excessively dark tint is officer safety. Most really dark tints to driver and passenger windows make it impossible for the approaching officer to see inside the vehicle. The officer can't see if the driver or passenger is either reaching for or pointing a gun or trying to hide one. This certainly has become more of an issue lately.

From a driver safety standpoint having limo tint on all your windows makes it like driving a tank peeping through the front windshield only. Changing lanes at night on a busy freeway like I-15 North trying to exit onto Flamingo Easbound on a Friday night comes to mind.

Too bad they can't make a electric tint that you can turn on and off like the frosted windows in the showers at fancy hotels.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Not saying that SportyandMisty didn't get a ticket to fill the cop's quota but there are other reasons.
I was most certainly pulled over for speeding - and rightly so. I was in a conversation with my wife, going downhill, and I wasn't paying attention to my speed. When I noticed the flashing lights, I immediately glanced at my speedometer, and was 15 over the limit. I absolutely deserved the speeding ticket. The tint, IMHO, was a bit mickey-mouse. I don't have limo tint. In fact, he read on his sheet and told me if my plates were in XX then my tint would be legal and he wouldn't cite me. I don't recall which state (XX) he mentioned, but he was reading from his sheet.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
From a driver safety standpoint having limo tint on all your windows makes it like driving a tank peeping through the front windshield only. Changing lanes at night on a busy freeway like I-15 North trying to exit onto Flamingo Easbound on a Friday night comes to mind.
I've talked to people that have said that a dark after-market tint can make night driving difficult. My Camaro came from the factory with a sufficiently dark tint and while I haven't tested it in the desert yet, I doubt I would do anything darker. I don't have the greatest night vision to begin with and with the Camaro's smaller windows a darker tint could be scary.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I've talked to people that have said that a dark after-market tint can make night driving difficult. My Camaro came from the factory with a sufficiently dark tint and while I haven't tested it in the desert yet, I doubt I would do anything darker. I don't have the greatest night vision to begin with and with the Camaro's smaller windows a darker tint could be scary.

Me too. At night I sometimes need to roll down the drivers side window to get better visibility if I'm making a left or bearing to the left.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:46 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Be careful with the tint, especially if you travel out of state. Two states that come to mind are Utah and Texas, as they have "tint" laws. Many places in Vegas will push the limo tint....it looks great...however can be real hard to see out of at night....as previously suggested, there are certain brands out now that cut the UV quite well and are still legal....
You mean IR, not UV. All tint films block UV quite well, and that's on top of the UV blocking already in the car glass. IR radiation is what makes the car get hot when it's parked in the sun, and is what you want the film to block, without blocking too much of the visible portion of the spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: