Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:07 AM

66 posts, read 65,003 times

Advertisements

Welcome soon to the Valley! You are right behind OP who should be arriving these days.

There are great deals on Craigslist, Offer Up, Facebook groups, but coming from NY we were scared of bed bugs too, so went with new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:20 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,875 times
High End Yard Sale

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old 09-20-2016, 05:35 PM

621 posts, read 538,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
In the same boat. My husband and I are leaving NJ and arriving in Vegas on Thursday. We'll be renting in Summerlin while we scope out the area. We might not stay long-term anyway - we can both work from home for our jobs in software, but if one of us gets laid off or needs to make change then we likely wouldn't find jobs that pay as much in Vegas. For now, we're taking advantage of the flexibility our jobs offer and we can kiss our $9k a year property tax bill on our former townhouse and NJ's state income tax goodbye.

We lucked out and the buyers of our home in NJ wanted most of our (crappy) furniture, so we'll also be searching for some new items. I'm fine with used, but nervous about bed bugs. They are a big problem in the NY metro area and it sounds as if the problem is throughout the country. I'm also open to additional furniture suggestions.

Good luck with the moved to Henderson - the only reason we chose Summerlin over Henderson is access to Red Rock Canyon, which will be my playground.
I'm relocating next Monday and I'm leaning towards Summerlin for the same reason. I love Red Rock Canyon.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:11 AM

341 posts, read 708,552 times
I'm so jealous! Best of luck on your move. The road trip will be great also, so soak it up. I'm sure it was a tough decision to leave your two kids and one grandchild behind. But you gotta do what you desire and what best for you and your husband. Besides everyone loves to visit Las Vegas. Lots of New Yorkers living in the Vegas area so you two will have an easier time adjusting as opposed to relocating to Phoenix, for example, which is mostly Midwest (i.e. Chicago) transplants. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:44 AM

414 posts, read 359,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2lv View Post
There are great deals on Craigslist, Offer Up, Facebook groups, but coming from NY we were scared of bed bugs too, so went with new.
Good to know I'm not the only person out there totally paranoid about bed bugs

I don't want to spend too much on furniture since we might only be in LV for a few years and won't want to deal with moving it again - probably get a lot of IKEA stuff. Any recommendations out there for services that put flat pack furniture together? Husband and I are not terribly handy.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:17 PM

452 posts, read 336,478 times
welcome to hendertucky

Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM

238 posts, read 548,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
In the same boat. My husband and I are leaving NJ and arriving in Vegas on Thursday. We'll be renting in Summerlin while we scope out the area. We might not stay long-term anyway - we can both work from home for our jobs in software, but if one of us gets laid off or needs to make change then we likely wouldn't find jobs that pay as much in Vegas. For now, we're taking advantage of the flexibility our jobs offer and we can kiss our $9k a year property tax bill on our former townhouse and NJ's state income tax goodbye.

We lucked out and the buyers of our home in NJ wanted most of our (crappy) furniture, so we'll also be searching for some new items. I'm fine with used, but nervous about bed bugs. They are a big problem in the NY metro area and it sounds as if the problem is throughout the country. I'm also open to additional furniture suggestions.

Good luck with the moved to Henderson - the only reason we chose Summerlin over Henderson is access to Red Rock Canyon, which will be my playground.
Congrats on getting out of NJ. We're hoping to make the move early next year. Our property taxes in NJ are over $14K a year and our house in LV, which is twice the size, is only $2,500. It blows my mind.

Red Rock Canyon is my favorite place to run.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:46 AM

414 posts, read 359,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamDeleted View Post
Congrats on getting out of NJ. We're hoping to make the move early next year. Our property taxes in NJ are over $14K a year and our house in LV, which is twice the size, is only $2,500. It blows my mind.

Red Rock Canyon is my favorite place to run.
Just out of curiosity, how long have you owned a place in LV and how often were you able to spend time there? Do you ever rent it or Airbnb it? Just thinking ahead in case we buy but eventually have to go back east for jobs or family.

NJ is a good place to raise a family, but we don't have kids so we weren't getting much value even though I am all for a well educated society. Also the police throughout suburban NJ are handsomely paid and that certainly has an impact on the propert taxes. I'd gladly pay a bit more in taxes if it went towards things I would have benefitted from such as better transit into NYC, but such improvements are not happening any time soon. Maybe in 25 years there will be a new tunnel into NYC AFTER one fails...

The result was NJ lost my husband and I who are the type of residents NJ needs (taxpaying with good jobs, law abiding, etc), but we're gone now. We do have a small beach house in NJ we're keeping to escape the Vegas heat in the summer, though. Property taxes aren't too bad on that place, though ($3k - a real bargain &#128580. With all that said, I consider myself pretty far from an anti-government, anti-tax type. Property taxes are getting unreasonable, though. However, there are high taxes to register vehicles in NV that we don't pay in NJ, so they get you somewhere.

So far our arrival to NV has been incredibly smooth - seems like we're being welcomed with open arms. It did take three hours to get new licenses at the DMV, but part of that time we were able to leave and track our spot in line via an automated text system. The DMV workers were actually nice which was shocking - not used to that in NJ. That's been the worst of it. OTOH, we had a nightmare of a time dealing with our town in NJ before closing as we had a few things done without permits and the building department became vindictive and started seeking out minor things done to our house without permits. Cost us an extra $1k at the 11th hour. It was NJ's final FU to us.

Good luck with your move out here.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:15 AM

31 posts, read 98,637 times
Congratulation on your move!
I intend to move to Henderson but first I want to rent and later build a new house in a good location.
What are your thoughts on the city, climate, grocery stores, crime, and others?
Thanks,

Akexius

Old 12-12-2016, 06:20 AM

31 posts, read 98,637 times
Smile A Wise decision!

Hi,
We are moving there to after going crazy with searching New Mexico, Arizona and even west of Texas.
I think is very wise that you rent first and after you know the area, you may buy or build a house.
What are your thoughts about Boulder City which much smaller and probably quiet but not too far from shopping, hospitals and churches.

However the living is higher than other places but I think is worth it because of the nice climate summer/winter.

I wish you good luck,

Alexius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas