U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:02 AM

243 posts, read 158,183 times

Advertisements

As a COX customer since 2005, several years ago I cut the TV portion and returned the four cable boxes back to COX. Had a small "Yaggi" antenna installed on my roof pointing to Black Mountain. Installed a cell booster and dropped COX phone service. I now use COX for just internet service, stream from various services which in fact cost more than cable TV but more closely meet my commercial free TV viewing interests. It may or may not work for you. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 03:49 PM

1,824 posts, read 4,560,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
As a COX customer since 2005, several years ago I cut the TV portion and returned the four cable boxes back to COX. Had a small "Yaggi" antenna installed on my roof pointing to Black Mountain. Installed a cell booster and dropped COX phone service. I now use COX for just internet service, stream from various services which in fact cost more than cable TV but more closely meet my commercial free TV viewing interests. It may or may not work for you. It works for me.
Basically the same for me. $40 directional antenna in the attic. I use Google Fi for cell which makes call/text over wifi. Cox internet only. I had SlingTV for over a year, but cancelled in favor of commercial free options. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and saved movies on Network Attached Storage are my go to.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:39 PM

262 posts, read 245,779 times
Unfortunately the Area I am in does not allow reception of Network Broadcast Channels with the exception of CBS (Ch 8) and ABC (Ch 13). Cannot receive Fox or NBC and Public TV. I have Sling for the past 3 months and use Cox Internet and Phone.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 PM

654 posts, read 1,136,795 times
Before I get into my question, a heads up for the forum:

According to the Cox rep with whom I spoke today, rate increases are scheduled for Feb. 7. He was talking mostly about TV, but my guess is it will apply to internet/etc as well. Keep this in mind if you have an expiring rate and/or agreement, or if you're thinking about doing business with Cox.

Feb. 7 is significant for me since anything I'd like to nail down anything I do with Cox before then to lock in current rates. Has anyone had luck with recent negotiation strategies with Cox? (I've done this song & dance with them many times before, just wondering if the increase in other options like streaming/etc has spooked them & changed things.) I'd like to keep cable if it's affordable, but Cox seems oblivious that their business is changing & OTA mixed with streaming is a very viable option for me. I'd miss sports channels & not much else.

SlingTV/PSVue/etc not currently an option as I'm a big time-shifter & record tons of stuff on my Tivos. Love the in-home flexibility of watching what I want when I want without being slave to a cloud DVR and/or streaming service ads (one reason I can't stand Hulu). I can watch stuff 25% faster with Quickplay & bypass many commercials with one button thanks to Tivo. Love that freedom.

I may do Netflix and/or Amazon Prime as I've recently added a 4K TV with built-in HDR 4K streaming. Not really in any rush. What I want to avoid is being locked into a 2-year agreement without significant incentives from Cox.

I guess my biggest question is: Anyone had recent luck getting an affordable bundle from Cox, preferably without a contract? I use 2 cablecards for my Tivos, otherwise no Cox equipment. I'm fine with a simple array of channels as long as I can get HD. I could care less about my phone line, but know most of their bundles are cheaper with phone - bare phone line is fine. Currently I have 50 Mbit Internet service but frankly 15 Mbit would likely be fine. Open to suggestions.

If they don't budge, I may just cut the cord & install a big OTA antenna.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:56 PM

1,826 posts, read 3,216,914 times
FYI, they always put rate increases on the bill. Typical Cox liars. Here is actual increase coming (from this month's bill):

Effective February 7, 2017 the rates for the WiFi Internet
and Telephone Modem rental will change from $6.99 to $7.99.

That's it.

I only have internet so I don't know what kind of crazy TV bundles they can whip up. I am not on Price Lock, but I have called in two years in a row and asked them to switch me to their cheapest 5mb down service ($39.99/month). They always "see if they have any promotions available". I currently I have the 50mb down ($77.99/month retail). Last year they offered a $10/month discount for 12 months (no contract) if I kept the 50mb down service, which I did. I called recently since the 12 month discount was expiring. Same thing, I want to drop to 5mb down. They offer to bump me to the 150mb down tier for 24 months contracted at $69.99/month or extend the $10/month discount on the 50mb plan (brings it down to $67.99/month) for 12 more months.

I've heard if you're married or cohabiting you could sign up for the promo price for 12 or 24 months, then cancel service and restart under wife/partner's name with new promo price for 12 or 24 months, rinse, repeat. Haven't tried this myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
Before I get into my question, a heads up for the forum:

According to the Cox rep with whom I spoke today, rate increases are scheduled for Feb. 7. He was talking mostly about TV, but my guess is it will apply to internet/etc as well. Keep this in mind if you have an expiring rate and/or agreement, or if you're thinking about doing business with Cox.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 AM

70 posts, read 362,966 times
I've had COX internet (no TV or phone) for a little over a year. They started me with their introductory $55 for 12 months of their 50mb option. When the year expired, my monthly bill up increased by something like $20, so I called just to see if they could help me out. I wasn't on the phone long and was able to snag the 150mb option (their fastest) for $70 with no contracts. I'm waiting to see how long that rate lasts before they start jacking it up.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:44 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,463,702 times
Unfortunately, Cox is a private company -- if they were public, I'd invest in them.

So I invested in Comcast as a proxy and as a hedge. Yes, cable costs have gone up, but on the whole, I've done OK.

Old 02-06-2017, 04:06 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,583,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Unfortunately, Cox is a private company -- if they were public, I'd invest in them.

So I invested in Comcast as a proxy and as a hedge. Yes, cable costs have gone up, but on the whole, I've done OK.
I invested in pork belly futures to cover the cost of my cable bill. I've done great. and I get to feed the family bacon every day now

Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 AM

9,966 posts, read 22,199,092 times
I hated the Cox contour box. Always problems, lagging out, pixelation, rebooting while I was watching movies. We cut that cord. Over the air antenna does not give you much, but we get the local stations, abc, cbs, fox, nbc, cw. An antenna booster will really help in some area's of the valley. When it's windy, abc and cbs goes in and out. But at least it is free.

We went with DirectTVnow. We signed up at a special promo for $35 a month back in December with a free apple box to connect with. It works great. No lag yet, no cutting out. Nothing like the contour box from hell, err, cox. We are grandfathered in at that price for the life of it or until an asteroid wipes out earth, whichever comes first.

We did keep the cox mini modem for one year at a special promo for $6 a month, because the cox rep insisted we could not get the internet price without at least that. It works with my tv upstairs, because the downstairs tv is a dinosaur, no high definition, not the greatest, and it did not work with it. Too old.

The only thing I miss about the basic expanded cable channel lineup is having access to more channels on the old TV. So now I just read more.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:37 AM

10,302 posts, read 6,241,642 times
I saw my bill went up more than $5 Feb, so I called and got a $5 discount (for the next year) and my bill is now what it once was.

Did notice a new line on my Essential internet section of my Jan and Feb bill...

1TB(1,024 GB)Monthly Data Plan

...so I got on cox chat and sure enough, this is something new. She looked up my last bill's usage and it wasn't a big percentage of the limit - so even with streaming movies every day, it seems I won't get close to my limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or