Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times

Advertisements

The DMV issue isn't a Nevada only thing, it's a Real ID thing. (I had a similar issue in AZ)

This was just discussed here:

DMV and Real ID is a real PITA for divorced/remarried woman

Old 09-27-2016, 11:23 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Welcome! It take a while but you will get settled again!

Wait till you watch the local weather this winter. They cover all the awful storms so we can gloat a little!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 05:15 PM

104 posts, read 254,936 times
Welcome, new neighbors! Hope you have many years of happiness here!

Old 09-27-2016, 06:22 PM

621 posts, read 538,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyzs View Post
Well we made it to Henderson last Tuesday. The trip took 3 1/2 days driving from PA. The ride was not as bad as I expected it to be. Our dog slept the entire trip, the weather was great for most of the way until we hit Arizona. Our first stop was in Nashville and there was a bar right across the street from the hotel that was pet friendly so we got to eat and have a couple beers on the patio which was really nice after driving for 13 hrs. We got to see a drug bust in a rest stop in Oklahoma...we had to stop and use the restroom so we pulled in and low and behold, there were about 7 cop cars and two guys cuffed to the bench while the cops went through their belongings. I just walked on pass them and headed to the ladies room LOL. When you gotta go, you gotta go!

While going from Oklahoma into Texas we got to see a dust storm which was pretty cool to see! A little scary but cool! And bugs...lots of bugs in Oklahoma. It looked like it was raining bugs! We hit Arizona and the skies opened up and we hit torrential rain through the entire state. We took a detour off I40 to see the Grand Canyon which was a mistake. It was about an hour off of I40, it was cold and pouring rain, paid $30 to get in to see a big bowl filled with clouds, took a few pictures and left within 10 minutes. I did get some really cool pictures that you normally don't see at the Grand Canyon but regret stopping.

Made it to Henderson, unloaded the ABF Cube and have since been running all over town trying to get settled. Today we spent over 3 hours at the DMV only to find out that besides my license from PA and my social security card, I need my marriage license from my first marriage. I was beyond mad.

Other than that, we are very happy to be here and look forward to learning my way around town and settling in. I still can't believe we're here!
Congrats on the successful move! I am en route myself right now. I left Buffalo yesterday morning and stopped for the night in St. Louis. Today I went to Kansas City for some delicious BBQ and now I'm holed up for the night in Tulsa. I'm slow rolling my trip and probably won't arrive until Sunday.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:27 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
My sister lives in Henderson and loves it. When I visit, I love it too! So, on behalf of my sister, Welcome to Henderson.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Welcome to the valley! There's a ton of information in the pinned thread at the top.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:12 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
Thanks everyone

It has been so nice here! Every single place we have been, from Walmart, to Ross, to Office Max and a bunch of other stores I can't remember, we have been treated with the most pleasant of attitudes!

Our apartment complex is very nice and has everything we need. We bought a sofa and chair from the World Market at Colleens and a large dresser at Ashley's. We still have an Amazon box as a coffee table but it will come together in time :P

I ordered the copy of my marriage license from the County Court House in PA so hopefully I will get my license soon. My husband got his today. He made an appointment before he went. Much better!

God luck with your move, Grumpypotpie! It is absolutely beautiful here! You will not miss Buffalo! It's probably going to snow there next week!

And yes, I can't wait to gloat to my East Coast friends about the weather!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyzs View Post
Thanks everyone

It has been so nice here! Every single place we have been, from Walmart, to Ross, to Office Max and a bunch of other stores I can't remember, we have been treated with the most pleasant of attitudes!

Our apartment complex is very nice and has everything we need. We bought a sofa and chair from the World Market at Colleens and a large dresser at Ashley's. We still have an Amazon box as a coffee table but it will come together in time :P

I ordered the copy of my marriage license from the County Court House in PA so hopefully I will get my license soon. My husband got his today. He made an appointment before he went. Much better!

God luck with your move, Grumpypotpie! It is absolutely beautiful here! You will not miss Buffalo! It's probably going to snow there next week!

And yes, I can't wait to gloat to my East Coast friends about the weather!

Hopefully that marriage license you ordered is certified. Just a courthouse "copy" isn't enough, unfortunately.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:50 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Hopefully that marriage license you ordered is certified. Just a courthouse "copy" isn't enough, unfortunately.
That might be lots of fun for me, come December. Thank the Good Dude that I didn't change my name the second time around.

What I don't understand is that the requirements for this are stricter than when I got my passport. Maybe I should just renew my passport. If I'm going to shell out for the stupid certified copy of something that happened 26 years ago......

At least the Vegas DMV experience itself is much improved because of the dash pass program.

I'm glad the OP has had a good experience with the valley so far. Most people here are pretty decent if you don't associate with the wrong people. I think that goes for most cities.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That might be lots of fun for me, come December. Thank the Good Dude that I didn't change my name the second time around.

What I don't understand is that the requirements for this are stricter than when I got my passport. Maybe I should just renew my passport. If I'm going to shell out for the stupid certified copy of something that happened 26 years ago......

At least the Vegas DMV experience itself is much improved because of the dash pass program.

I'm glad the OP has had a good experience with the valley so far. Most people here are pretty decent if you don't associate with the wrong people. I think that goes for most cities.
You can order certified marriage licenses and birth certificates here:

https://www.vitalchek.com/marriage-records

Depending on how long ago you got your passport, the rules have likely changed. It has to do with the Real ID act which was passed in 2005, but the rules didn't start implementation until 2013. I know that when I got my passport in 2014 they were very specific about my photograph. No smiling, hair back from face, no glasses or hats. This is all to make it easier for facial recognition software to function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas