Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM

102 posts, read 114,636 times

Advertisements

We're really moving to Vegas and need to find a house. Problem is, which neighborhood?
I get that RE agents aren't allowed to talk about safety, crime, school rating. Where/how should an out-of-towner find out which neighborhood to choose?
This is our first purchase and we never really had to "look for" a neighborhood.

Here's my observation so far:

Summerlin: more expensive, not sure if it's necessarily safer (don't compare it with the Strip or North Las Vegas). Masterplan fee.
Southwest: seems like it covers a lot of areas. Which Southwest area?
Spring Valley: looks fine, more expensive compared to Mountains Edge. Stay west of Rainbow.
Rhodes Ranch: looks fine, and less crime (crimemapping.com) but I heard HOA is very strict. Is it too far out from McCarran? Masterplan fee.
Mountains Edge: cheapest $/sq ft. Avoid the square betwen Buffalo, Warm Springs, Jones, and Windmill (lots of crime nearby Rainbow). Masterplan fee.
Southern Highland: it's okay. A bit far to grocery shopping in either Spring Valley or Sprouts. Masterplan fee.

Is this somewhat close?
We don't have kids but would prefer to be able to rent out easily if we need to.
Should we stay north of Blue Diamond Rd? Is south of Blue Diamond good area?
What are the street references to the area we wanna look for or the areas we should avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 03:29 PM

848 posts, read 647,978 times
Have you checked out Green Valley Ranch, Anthem, or Seven Hills in Henderson? These are all excellent communities. Zip codes to check would be 89052, 89012, and 89074.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:45 PM

529 posts, read 512,207 times
Not having kids opens up more areas. You can buy in the Lakes where the schools don't rate as well but is still nice, which is about 2/3 the price of comparable homes in Summerlin. The problem with the Southwest is the lack of road improvements. Many or maybe even most of the north-south roads that connect the Beltway to Blue Diamond are still two-land roads. Blue Diamond isn't exactly fun during peak hours.

Have you looked in Silverado Ranch? ND_Irish has some other good suggestions.

As far as crime, I'm inclined to believe a good amount of it involves people that know each other or those that forgot to lock cars/doors. There is random crime, and places like Summerlin and the newer points of Henderson will have less of that, but living somewhere in the middle and being careful will drastically reduce the random thefts IMO. I think nearly all neighborhoods have criminals that are looking for unlocked cars from time to time.

If you're using Crimemapping, make sure to go back a while and not rely on only a couple weeks.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Have you checked out Green Valley Ranch, Anthem, or Seven Hills in Henderson? These are all excellent communities. Zip codes to check would be 89052, 89012, and 89074.
I will check the zip codes you mentioned. Thank you!
Anthem is a bit down there and I think the price in Henderson is more expensive as well? We are looking for 2005 and newer building (neither of us are handy with fixing things) but I saw some built in the late 90s. $/sq ft is higher but lots are bigger. Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
Not having kids opens up more areas. You can buy in the Lakes where the schools don't rate as well but is still nice, which is about 2/3 the price of comparable homes in Summerlin. The problem with the Southwest is the lack of road improvements. Many or maybe even most of the north-south roads that connect the Beltway to Blue Diamond are still two-land roads. Blue Diamond isn't exactly fun during peak hours.

Have you looked in Silverado Ranch? ND_Irish has some other good suggestions.

As far as crime, I'm inclined to believe a good amount of it involves people that know each other or those that forgot to lock cars/doors. There is random crime, and places like Summerlin and the newer points of Henderson will have less of that, but living somewhere in the middle and being careful will drastically reduce the random thefts IMO. I think nearly all neighborhoods have criminals that are looking for unlocked cars from time to time.

If you're using Crimemapping, make sure to go back a while and not rely on only a couple weeks.
You mean Lake Las Vegas? Isn't it pretty far? (I don't think we've been there).
Is Silverado Ranch safe? It looks very colorful on crimemapping
We both work from home and car will most likely be in the garage when home. The concern is burglary when we're actually at home/robbery. I think I'm a bit nervous since I've never lived at a house with just the two of us (usually with roomates when I was younger, then apartment with shared wall with neighbors).

Also, is the crime map for Henderson? Crimemapping.com doesn't work on Henderson.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:49 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTee_ View Post
I will check the zip codes you mentioned. Thank you!
Anthem is a bit down there and I think the price in Henderson is more expensive as well? We are looking for 2005 and newer building (neither of us are handy with fixing things) but I saw some built in the late 90s. $/sq ft is higher but lots are bigger. Hmm....

Is Silverado Ranch safe? It looks very colorful on crimemapping
We both work from home and car will most likely be in the garage when home. The concern is burglary when we're actually at home/robbery. I think I'm a bit nervous since I've never lived at a house with just the two of us (usually with roomates when I was younger, then apartment with shared wall with neighbors).

Also, is the crime map for Henderson? Crimemapping.com doesn't work on Henderson.
As a general rule simply stay outside or within a couple of miles of the 215 and you will find safety and nice neighborhoods.

Silverado is south strip. Reasonably safe but less than the outlying communities.

If you go for new build you will find yourself confined to south Henderson, the outer southwest, west and southwest Summerlin and the Northwest and Aliante.

However a whole lot of the nicer neighborhoods were built in the 80s and 90s. Green Valley Ranch, Pecole Ranch, The Lakes (not Lake Las Vegas), Desert Shores, Painted Desert and a couple of dozen others.

There are also a local peculiarity sometimes called horse properties or the half acres. These are areas zoned for half acres or bigger lots often without sidewalks or street lights. Section 10, Lone Mountan and areas in the SE and SW are examples. Generally start at $400K and go up.

If you say a little more about your budget you can probably get a much narrower view of your options.

Note that home invasions and such in nice Vegas is very rare. Burglary of non occupied homes is however much more common and is best dealt with by a good security system or a dog wherever you live.

There are three different crime maps of the Valley. The big one is Metro which you appear to have. The others are The City of Henderson and the City of North Las Vegas. Google the municipality and crime map and you will find them .

Old 10-19-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
No, The Lakes. It is bordered by Durango, Sahara, Desert Inn and Hualapai on the west side. It is just east of Summerlin. The schools aren't so great except for the far west end of it that is zoned with Summerlin but you mentioned you don't have kids.

The value is great there. The property crime is below average but not as great as the best LV neighborhoods because its surrounding area is a bit more urban and less suburban due to its age. You will pay $100k less for a comparable house there than in Summerlin. The lots are normally a tad larger, too.

You may also want to consider Peccole Ranch. It is across Sahara from The Lakes. Its schools are better but the property value reflects that. If you're into libraries there is an awesome one in that neighborhood that would also be convenient for some of The Lakes.

FWIW, I don't live in either. They just seem like good deals for those that don't have kids. I'm sure there are plenty of other neighborhoods similar to that around the valley.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
As a general rule simply stay outside or within a couple of miles of the 215 and you will find safety and nice neighborhoods.
Thank you, detail like this really helps us.

Quote:
Silverado is south strip. Reasonably safe but less than the outlying communities.

If you go for new build you will find yourself confined to south Henderson, the outer southwest, west and southwest Summerlin and the Northwest and Aliante.

However a whole lot of the nicer neighborhoods were built in the 80s and 90s. Green Valley Ranch, Pecole Ranch, The Lakes (not Lake Las Vegas), Desert Shores, Painted Desert and a couple of dozen others.
The reason we chose to go with newer built was because we think the house would be less maintenance and more energy efficient (and in turn, we won't have to pay $$$ for electricity bill monthly). Is this not true? (again... never owned before so I'd appreciate your input).

Quote:
There are also a local peculiarity sometimes called horse properties or the half acres. These are areas zoned for half acres or bigger lots often without sidewalks or street lights. Section 10, Lone Mountan and areas in the SE and SW are examples. Generally start at $400K and go up.

If you say a little more about your budget you can probably get a much narrower view of your options.

Note that home invasions and such in nice Vegas is very rare. Burglary of non occupied homes is however much more common and is best dealt with by a good security system or a dog wherever you live.

There are three different crime maps of the Valley. The big one is Metro which you appear to have. The others are The City of Henderson and the City of North Las Vegas. Google the municipality and crime map and you will find them .
Right, budget! We're looking to spend up to $250k for a 3/2 house with HOA less than $75/mo (the less the better!). We'll take smaller backyard for newer and open kitchen. Community pool is a bonus when family come to visit so they'll have something to do but not a requirement. I was searching for built between 2005-2015. Is this a reasonable budget?

Speaking of good security system, how much should we budget for it monthly?

Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
No, The Lakes. It is bordered by Durango, Sahara, Desert Inn and Hualapai on the west side. It is just east of Summerlin. The schools aren't so great except for the far west end of it that is zoned with Summerlin but you mentioned you don't have kids.

The value is great there. The property crime is below average but not as great as the best LV neighborhoods because its surrounding area is a bit more urban and less suburban due to its age. You will pay $100k less for a comparable house there than in Summerlin. The lots are normally a tad larger, too.

You may also want to consider Peccole Ranch. It is across Sahara from The Lakes. Its schools are better but the property value reflects that. If you're into libraries there is an awesome one in that neighborhood that would also be convenient for some of The Lakes.

FWIW, I don't live in either. They just seem like good deals for those that don't have kids. I'm sure there are plenty of other neighborhoods similar to that around the valley.
Maybe our budget is too low. I only see 2 properties in the Lakes. There's a couple in Peccole Ranch but the HOA is $100+/mo

Old 10-19-2016, 07:57 PM

You should be able to find a 3/2 for $250k is some parts of Summerlin. I found three quite easily. One is on April Rose Ct, another on Clarion River Dr and one on Pine Run Rd. All are 89135 just east of Downtown Summerlin. These are all on the small side. If you went up to $275k search you'll really open up the options, especially in The Lakes.

HOA is $47/mo for the last two. I'm not sure about the third. The last two are within an easy walking distance of one of the Summerlin pools although that one is aimed more at children.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 PM

1,935 posts, read 821,640 times
Lone Mountain, Majestic Park in my opinion is a nice area. Hualapai and Alexander. Owned there once, would by there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas