Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 12:59 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
I hate to see this happen to someone.

Something similar happened in our family, but they made sure they were co-signers to protect their rights to the property. Still family ended up burning family by not making regular payments and then eventually not paying.

They got the help of other family members and went and picked up the vehicle. Lost a lot of money on it because the other family member had trashed it as well. Then they sold it and took the hit.

Could have put a lien on the other family for the rest of the back money that was owed and garnished their wages, but it was getting more expensive than it was worth. So they took it as a lesson learned.

It tore my immediate family apart and now some of my siblings will never talk to each other ever again. It's been years and they're dead to each other.

I would call the free Legal Aid services in Southern Nevada to see what your options are. See if the texts, verbal agreement and check would work in court, ect.

http://www.lacsn.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 04:18 AM

589 posts, read 390,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylorny View Post
Last year, a family friend I've known for 8 years asked for a car loan of $6,000. Their credit is terrible and they could not qualify for a loan. Being the pushover I am, I agreed, and I also never put myself on the title as a lienholder. We never signed a written agreement, just texting back and forth the terms. I gave them $6,000 cash and they bought the used car and have the title. They were suppose to pay $300/month until paid off. They made 1 payment of $300 and never paid again. I've been asking them for the $ and keep getting the run around. I also gave them the option of just signing the title to me and I'll sell the car and try to recoup the money. But they refuse to sign the title to me. They still use the car daily and it's parked in front of their house.

Here is the best part...I drove by their house yesterday and noticed the side of the car damaged and the other side saturated in yellowish gooope. I called and they told me they came home drunk last week and side swiped their garage wall. As far as the yellowish stuff, my friend told me he and his buddy were using the car as a target for paintball practice! To top it off my friend's father called me and told me, very threatening, they assumed the car was a gift and are not obligated to pay me. Apparently I just go around buying people cars!

Would anyone here recommend going to small claims court? My friend works for the LV muni gov't and makes approx $35-$40k/year. In NV we can garnish wages to 25% of gross pay with a judgment. So I guess if I win the judgment they city will send me 25% of their paycheck every friday. I also have their bank acct # from the check they made the payment with.

It's unreal how people, even one you know, just think it's your obligation to buy them expensive things.
Dave Ramsey calls it the STOOPIT tax.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:50 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,552 times
Unfortunately you will need to sue to get your money back. There is a fair amount of legwork involved but you need to do it. They are not going to pay you voluntarily.

Here is a good site to start with. Filing Your Small Claims Case - Civil Law Self-Help Center

Follow the instructions exactly. You actually have a chance collecting something since they have a job. Don't let any grass grow under your feet begin the process this week.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:52 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Life lesson learned!

Old 11-07-2016, 06:59 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
You paid for the car, its not in your name. Whether you paid for it or not, it doesnt matter how they treat it. Its not yours. Do you complain like that if you buy someone a sweater?

Yes they should pay you back( something, even if its not the $300/mnth but at least make an effort!). THAT you should be mad about.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 AM

Actually it is good that you are not on the title. You can bet that they are driving without insurance. If you were on the tiitle you could be liable if they got into an accident.

Last edited by Packrat1; 11-07-2016 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 11-07-2016, 08:36 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
How did you pay them...? Check in their name? Cash - you're screwed. They will just lie in court... Oh the 300 check I gave them was not a payment for a car.. I owed them on a bet... You will have to prove your case and it's as weak as hell.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:17 AM

472 posts, read 378,362 times
Break your friends wrist and you see he either pays or signs the title over. Just break the other wrist he signs with.

PS: If you didn't guess, your friendship is already over.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:40 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylorny View Post
Last year, a family friend I've known for 8 years asked for a car loan of $6,000. Their credit is terrible
It's unreal how people, even one you know, just think it's your obligation to buy them expensive things.
What's unreal is you deflecting this off on your friend, instead of taking personal responsibility for your actions. You gave him the money, knowing he had crap credit. That puts it all on you. He's not doing anything different; he wasn't paying anybody else, either.

You will never see that money, even if you spend the extra cash taking him to court. Why would he care? His credit is already in the can.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:06 AM

That's why you garnish his wages. I have done this in another state where I won in small claims and then was paid via his bank account via judgement.

There is nothing sweeter than making them pay when they don't want to.

If you win don't cut him any slack take the full amount allowed by law every week until paid.

Last edited by Packrat1; 11-07-2016 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: