Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 12:36 PM

23 posts, read 40,503 times

Advertisements

If money and citizenship issues were no object, I'd likely make the trek to Geneva. Talk about beautiful surroundings, and very friendly people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 01:28 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,289,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Southeast. Close to the Atlantic, but far enough in that hurricanes aren't a major concern. The other contender for our retirement was Sun City Hilton Head. If I could breathe in high humidity that's where we would be now instead of here.

Oh, and green, and rain, and flowers, and the smell of mown grass, and...
That puts you right back in Las Vegas.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:35 PM

455 posts, read 648,248 times
Quote:
Southeast. Close to the Atlantic, but far enough in that hurricanes aren't a major concern. The other contender for our retirement was Sun City Hilton Head. If I could breathe in high humidity that's where we would be now instead of here.

Oh, and green, and rain, and flowers, and the smell of mown grass, and...

You have described Augusta, GA. 3 hours from the coast, 3 hours from the mountains. Medium-sized city that is growing. Stable economy and favorable cost of living. That humidity though...

Old 11-15-2016, 02:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Being from Iowa I laughed at humidity in the south - until my body decided that breathing in high humidity was optional. We used to laugh when we traveled to the southeast and everyone was complaining about the humidity. It was almost always higher in Iowa.

And LOL at Buzz.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,289,134 times
Quote:
Being from Iowa I laughed at humidity in the south - until my body decided that breathing in high humidity was optional. We used to laugh when we traveled to the southeast and everyone was complaining about the humidity. It was almost always higher in Iowa.

And LOL at Buzz.
The humidity in West Virginia is about the same as the rest of the northeast, but bad enough that I sweated ( 'scuse me: perspired) constantly, and had sinus headaches everyday. We didn't know it would be diferent in the southwest when we came here, and the first month I was here was monsoon season with rain everyday. I did realize I had just stepped into hades when the temps were over 110º though, but was wondering why it didn't look like Florida.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:42 PM

455 posts, read 648,248 times
Quote:

And those of us from the South laugh at those who try and say their humidity is worse...

Average Summer Relative Humidity:

Des Moines, Iowa - 80 (morning), 52 (afternoon)
Macon, Georgia - 91 (morning), 54 (Afternoon)
Birmingham, Alabama - 88 (morning), 56 (afternoon)
Tampa, Florida - 89 (morning), 63 (afternoon)
Jackson, Mississippi - 93 (morning), 55 (afternoon)
Greensboro, North Carolina - 90 (morning), 57 (afternoon)
Columbia, South Carolina - 91 (morning), 54 (afternoon)
Nashville, Tennessee - 89 (morning, 54 (afternoon)

source: [URL]https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/humidity-by-state-in-summer.php[/URL]

Old 11-15-2016, 04:03 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,507,523 times
Lived in Des Moines for years. Now way are those humidity numbers right.

I'm here the rest of my life. I LOVE it! I travel a lot, been to about 50 countries. If I was younger, maybe I'd move to Rome or St Moritz. My skiing days are behind me, I could see Geneva too.

If it wasn't so far maybe buy a game reserves in South Africa.

Think it depends on your life style & the type of people one runs with is the reason people stay or leave Vegas.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:19 PM

6,377 posts, read 11,843,753 times
I thought I would just move back to Denver, but got an opportunity to move to Toronto and took it and haven't regretted it at all. Cost of living definitely is a hit on take home pay, but I was saving up all kinds of money in Vegas and just cursing how I didn't see anything worth spending money on.

Probably will still go back to Denver eventually, but no way would I go to Vegas. COL when you make a decent wage is just a distraction. If your pay is low or you have a big family that is hard to afford then I get it, Vegas is a good place to stretch the budget. If you don't have such issues I'd just bite the bullet and go where you want to be and not worry about how much it costs.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:25 PM

553 posts, read 1,206,231 times
Finding a place better than LV would be difficult when all things are considered -- COL, amenities, location, climate, etc. But if I had to move (and money are no object and family were not a concern...ok this really is fantasy land now), I'd move to Positano Italy. The driving sucks, but otherwise, it's probably the most spectacular place I have ever seen.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:22 AM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
I've always dreamt of living somewhere, where there was no need to ever use the A/C in summer or heater in winter, and the fewest terrorists (insects).

My research has pointed to such places as Cali/Medellin, Colombia, Tegucgalpa, Honduras and Guatemala City (altitude 5000 feet) where this dream could materialize.

San Diego? Way too cool in parts of winter, which is why fireplaces are so common down there! Baja? Sheesh! You can suffer from some cool nights as far south as Cabo San Lucas in winter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas