U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Single transplant, considering relocation to Las Vegas, city for professional singles, outdoor activities, nightlife and parties, places to meet friends and date women

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2008, 06:07 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,757 posts, read 19,960,118 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVegas View Post
Davey, my fellow Long Islander where abouts do you live on this lovely island? I am in Rockville Centre pinching pennies since I just got laid off since the economy is bad here....I am a just out of college and thinking about moving to Vegas also, though I know it'd be a huge culture shock....I have a side business I can do from work to make some $$ but whats the job market like in banking/finance and construction management? I'll pretty much do anything but I don't know where to start....Want to live in either Summerlin or GreenValley or South Strip, but does anyone reccomend that other area olecap has mentioned (like 89143 corridor maybe? on west side where hes said younger hotel workers live) sorry for the thread hijack.......I would very much welcome cheaper cost of living, sunnier skies, new people, more freedom, etc though just have to accept nothing is like new york in terms of people, sophistication, food, variety, culture, but that's fine, can always come back, I just don't want to go to Vegas without a plan....Thx in advance
Cheap jobs are easy. Good jobs have to be pursued, wooed and then ...well you know what come next.

Starting positions are mostly filled entirely by locals except the MBA or some years of applicable experience...who are recruited normally.

You will enjoy it. Good place to be young. And you will end up with tales to tell your teenage grandchildren (One never tells those tales to ones own children)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 PM
Status: "PHX bound!" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: NYC---->PHX
479 posts, read 1,033,144 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVegas View Post
Davey, my fellow Long Islander where abouts do you live on this lovely island? I am in Rockville Centre pinching pennies since I just got laid off since the economy is bad here....I am a just out of college and thinking about moving to Vegas also, though I know it'd be a huge culture shock....I have a side business I can do from work to make some $$ but whats the job market like in banking/finance and construction management? I'll pretty much do anything but I don't know where to start....Want to live in either Summerlin or GreenValley or South Strip, but does anyone reccomend that other area olecap has mentioned (like 89143 corridor maybe? on west side where hes said younger hotel workers live) sorry for the thread hijack.......I would very much welcome cheaper cost of living, sunnier skies, new people, more freedom, etc though just have to accept nothing is like new york in terms of people, sophistication, food, variety, culture, but that's fine, can always come back, I just don't want to go to Vegas without a plan....Thx in advance
Well hello there fellow Islander (and I assure you there are quite a few more of us out there than you realize) I actually live in Wantagh, so I am not that far from you (and can totally understand the reasoning for wanting to leave the south shore of this sandbar from hell and find greener, or in this case, sandstone pastures out west!) I'm not too sure on the market for banking and finance.. I'm assuming it is a fairly good market out there, but A few others on this board would be better suited to tell you that or not. Definitely check the classifieds in the local papers, the Las Vegas Review Journal (ReviewJournal.com - www.reviewjournal.com) and the Las Vegas sun (I think it's http:///lasvegassun.com (broken link)). I do know that there are several career fairs going on in the next few months, so my suggestion to you would be to check those out if you happen to be in town during them. Unfortunately, you probably will not have much luck finding a job until you actually live out there (pretty much every occupation is pretty strict on hiring locals, as Vegas can be a bit transient - they really don't want to waste their time unless you are committed to actually being a resident).

As for where to live - I am partial to the southwest side of town (zip codes 89148, 89147, and 89113) but that is where I am most familiar with. 89143 is a good area, but it is the north area of town, which is not bad at all, but it's just a bit of a distance from everything that may interest you (the strip, nightclubs, etc.) Green Valley and the south strip areas are also nice, with several new and like-new areas. Pretty much everything is within a 20-35 minute drive from anywheres else in the Valley (except of course during rush hour). But it also depends on how you drive, etc.

If I may ask, have you at least been to Vegas a few times before? If you haven't I STRONGLY recommend that you go a few times before deciding to pack up and move there for good. As anyone here will tell you, a "fact-finding" mission is definitely first and foremost - the city is not for everyone, and you definitely have to see what exists outside of all the glitz and glamour. I myself have been visiting vegas for over 10 years now (since I'm a teenager), I have a lot of close friends out there, so it definitely made my decision a lot easier.

Listen, for sure it's not going to be like New York. New York has it's own charm about it that is either endearing, or aggravating. I find it to be the latter, hence why I am heading west. Definitely make the decision for yourself - I hope I was able to give you some decent information here. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

-DJ

Last edited by daveyjones978; 02-28-2008 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 AM
 
37 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Cheap jobs are easy. Good jobs have to be pursued, wooed and then ...well you know what come next.

Starting positions are mostly filled entirely by locals except the MBA or some years of applicable experience...who are recruited normally.

You will enjoy it. Good place to be young. And you will end up with tales to tell your teenage grandchildren (One never tells those tales to ones own children)
Thanks cap....Yeah, I've been reading these boards religiously and I know jobs mostly filled by locals....I am a pretty solid poker player so I am thinking I can "grind" doing that, and rely on my savings, until I find a job.....The hard part, is convincing parents and other people here (not that I "owe" an explanation, but you understand) that moving to Vegas w/o a plan is smart, since they know it is known for gambling and vices....But, I know I can exist in that environment and there is more to the city.....
I guess my only concerns aside from 'adjusting' to the city and its mentality, is establishing a normal life out there....I don't know anyone from atom out there, and I know it's kind of a west coast mentalty, and leaving ALL my friend here in new york and the east coast, I'd like to meet some young cute girls and some guys to be friends with just like a normal life, w/o necessarily going to clubs all the time....And, it bothers me a little how hot the summer is, thats the ONLY time I'm really going to miss it here since summer in long island with barbecues, beers, mets/yankees, beaches, etc is just unmatched....but san diego is a few hours away thank god.....I guess I just need to take the plunge and move out If I want to, and look vigorously for a job once I get there and hopefully find a decent one..I did go to college, so I don't want to clean dishes or be a laborer (nothing against those positions)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 07:28 AM
 
37 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyjones978 View Post
Well hello there fellow Islander (and I assure you there are quite a few more of us out there than you realize) I actually live in Wantagh, so I am not that far from you (and can totally understand the reasoning for wanting to leave the south shore of this sandbar from hell and find greener, or in this case, sandstone pastures out west!) I'm not too sure on the market for banking and finance.. I'm assuming it is a fairly good market out there, but A few others on this board would be better suited to tell you that or not. Definitely check the classifieds in the local papers, the Las Vegas Review Journal (ReviewJournal.com - www.reviewjournal.com) and the Las Vegas sun (I think it's http:///lasvegassun.com (broken link)). I do know that there are several career fairs going on in the next few months, so my suggestion to you would be to check those out if you happen to be in town during them. Unfortunately, you probably will not have much luck finding a job until you actually live out there (pretty much every occupation is pretty strict on hiring locals, as Vegas can be a bit transient - they really don't want to waste their time unless you are committed to actually being a resident).

As for where to live - I am partial to the southwest side of town (zip codes 89148, 89147, and 89113) but that is where I am most familiar with. 89143 is a good area, but it is the north area of town, which is not bad at all, but it's just a bit of a distance from everything that may interest you (the strip, nightclubs, etc.) Green Valley and the south strip areas are also nice, with several new and like-new areas. Pretty much everything is within a 20-35 minute drive from anywheres else in the Valley (except of course during rush hour). But it also depends on how you drive, etc.

If I may ask, have you at least been to Vegas a few times before? If you haven't I STRONGLY recommend that you go a few times before deciding to pack up and move there for good. As anyone here will tell you, a "fact-finding" mission is definitely first and foremost - the city is not for everyone, and you definitely have to see what exists outside of all the glitz and glamour. I myself have been visiting vegas for over 10 years now (since I'm a teenager), I have a lot of close friends out there, so it definitely made my decision a lot easier.

Listen, for sure it's not going to be like New York. New York has it's own charm about it that is either endearing, or aggravating. I find it to be the latter, hence why I am heading west. Definitely make the decision for yourself - I hope I was able to give you some decent information here. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

-DJ

Davey, going to drop you a PM if you don't mind, don't want to hijack this thread.......
Wantagh, right near my neck of the woods and only a few LIRR stops away, I always laugh at the conductor when he says (rockville centa, baldwin, freeport, merrick, bell-moa, wantagh, seaford, massapquea, massapequa-pahk, amitvyville, copigaue, lindenhurst and babylon).....but Im weird like that....Wantagh is a pretty nice town though, similar to RVC which is just a great place, but I'm just ready for a change........
Southwest sounds good, I've done research and was thinking either Green Valley/Henderson, or the southwest where supposedly younger people live, not gonna bother w/summerlin too expensive.....I don't love that you have to drive everywhere in vegas (since I like to have a bunch of drinks on occasion) so I'm not sure how to sort that issue out.....
I have been to vegas a few times and know a california transplant who lives out there....And, I lived in sw florida a few yrs ago so I'm sure this cant be more of an adjustment, I'm one of those people who can adjust to anywhere, just the summers out there would make me lonely and hot for reasons I posted to Cap, but I can always come back to ny for a week or two I hope.........What is causing you to move out there If I may ask? good job oppty, general tiring of NY (which I can see your point, but nothing is like it as you said, the food/people/uniqueness/bars/culture cant be matched but the cost of living and rudeness and traffic gets to you)....December is around my time frame also, coincidentally....Are you driving the whole way? That would be pretty cool......But as I said earlier, I probably need to go out, find a place, drive around more and get an address to put down for jobs......It's not about 'getting used to it' as I said I can adjust to almost anywhere, but I want to line up places to meet people, girls, and live somewhat normal as I don't want to be a recluse vagabound out there like many are I'll drop you a PM over the weekend Davey, thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 09:15 AM
 
9,125 posts, read 22,942,012 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVegas View Post
Thanks cap....Yeah, I've been reading these boards religiously and I know jobs mostly filled by locals....I am a pretty solid poker player so I am thinking I can "grind" doing that, and rely on my savings, until I find a job.....The hard part, is convincing parents and other people here (not that I "owe" an explanation, but you understand) that moving to Vegas w/o a plan is smart, since they know it is known for gambling and vices....But, I know I can exist in that environment and there is more to the city.....
I guess my only concerns aside from 'adjusting' to the city and its mentality, is establishing a normal life out there....I don't know anyone from atom out there, and I know it's kind of a west coast mentalty, and leaving ALL my friend here in new york and the east coast, I'd like to meet some young cute girls and some guys to be friends with just like a normal life, w/o necessarily going to clubs all the time....And, it bothers me a little how hot the summer is, thats the ONLY time I'm really going to miss it here since summer in long island with barbecues, beers, mets/yankees, beaches, etc is just unmatched....but san diego is a few hours away thank god.....I guess I just need to take the plunge and move out If I want to, and look vigorously for a job once I get there and hopefully find a decent one..I did go to college, so I don't want to clean dishes or be a laborer (nothing against those positions)
I'd have to say I agree with them- I'd bet that 9 out of 10 folks who think they're "pretty solid poker players" and move to Vegas planning to live off their winnings end up either packing up and heading home, or working as a dishwasher. You really should consider having at least some sort of plan outside of surviving off poker for a while, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 AM
 
37 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'd have to say I agree with them- I'd bet that 9 out of 10 folks who think they're "pretty solid poker players" and move to Vegas planning to live off their winnings end up either packing up and heading home, or working as a dishwasher. You really should consider having at least some sort of plan outside of surviving off poker for a while, IMO.
Yes, Bob.....That wasnt the main point of my post, at all though.....It just came out weird.....I just meant that I could play poker and do some computer work in the INTERIM while doing extensive job seraching, since job searching out there seems difficult (for a decent job) and lengthy.........You're right though, I'm sure most that do that full-time end up going home or in trouble, but it's much better than trying to win at blackjack/craps which are UNWINNABLE.....but it's the outdoor stuff, and the meeting new people, and the growth and freedom and weather that is pulling me to go Vegas....you're from new jersey, no? How did you find the culture shock/adjustment and the people when you moved out there? Also, obviously no diners, but any good local deli's/pizza/bagel places or hard to come by or local mom and pop places? Just is very interesting to ponder, been on east coast whole life and ready for a change and new challenges, but your point is well taken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 AM
 
9,125 posts, read 22,942,012 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVegas View Post
you're from new jersey, no? How did you find the culture shock/adjustment and the people when you moved out there? Also, obviously no diners, but any good local deli's/pizza/bagel places or hard to come by or local mom and pop places?
I'm not one to go into withdrawls if I can't find a good bagel or slice of pizza, so the lack of both really didn't bother me that much. You'll definitely find neither in LV, nor will you find the corner deli with buttered rolls and bacon, egg and cheese on a hard roll (they don't even know what a hard roll is....lol). If the lack of such things is going to be a problem for you, you may need to think long and hard about heading out there.

In general, the people weren't as outgoing/friendly as in NJ, and it took a while to even see your neighbors, yet alone become really friendly with them. I made a number of "acquaintances" there, but only two people I'd really consider "friends".

The area is a bit more laid back than NJ, which took a bit of getting used to, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't say it was really a "culture shock", but it's just a different sort of lifestyle out West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 12:05 PM
 
37 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm not one to go into withdrawls if I can't find a good bagel or slice of pizza, so the lack of both really didn't bother me that much. You'll definitely find neither in LV, nor will you find the corner deli with buttered rolls and bacon, egg and cheese on a hard roll (they don't even know what a hard roll is....lol). If the lack of such things is going to be a problem for you, you may need to think long and hard about heading out there.

In general, the people weren't as outgoing/friendly as in NJ, and it took a while to even see your neighbors, yet alone become really friendly with them. I made a number of "acquaintances" there, but only two people I'd really consider "friends".

The area is a bit more laid back than NJ, which took a bit of getting used to, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wouldn't say it was really a "culture shock", but it's just a different sort of lifestyle out West.

Good points.....LOL yeah, you cant find corner stores for buttered rolls, bacon/egg/cheese or ham and swiss in rye with mayo ANYWHERE, I'm not born yesterday in a bubble, I lived in southwest florida for a few years so I know.....A lack of those things is expected, and not a big deal to me, you can't base where you live in food LOL,........I'm surprised people arent as outgoing as NJ/NY, actually people here keep to themselves and I thought it was the opposite out west, I guess it all depends, but yeah you make a good point in general that out there I'd be less willing to "trust" people on a true friend level, unlike here.....Laid back is different, of course, you can't get mad when you're waiitng on line and people talk and bs and slow things up or arent in a hurry, all things to adjust to...
Main things for me = weather, cost of living, new beginnings, entertainment, freedom, outdoor activities, young people, obviously needing to find good employment too which might be difficult.....all the other food nonsense isnt a factor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 12:23 PM
 
9,125 posts, read 22,942,012 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoVegas View Post
Good points.....LOL yeah, you cant find corner stores for buttered rolls, bacon/egg/cheese or ham and swiss in rye with mayo ANYWHERE, I'm not born yesterday in a bubble, I lived in southwest florida for a few years so I know.....A lack of those things is expected, and not a big deal to me, you can't base where you live in food LOL,........I'm surprised people arent as outgoing as NJ/NY, actually people here keep to themselves and I thought it was the opposite out west, I guess it all depends, but yeah you make a good point in general that out there I'd be less willing to "trust" people on a true friend level, unlike here.....Laid back is different, of course, you can't get mad when you're waiitng on line and people talk and bs and slow things up or arent in a hurry, all things to adjust to...
You wouldn't think so, but it's almost laughable how many people on the NJ forum base their entire reason for not leaving that crooked, over-priced state on "there's no way I could move to the South- you can't get a good pizza or bagels down there".....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2008, 12:44 PM
 
37 posts, read 50,381 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You wouldn't think so, but it's almost laughable how many people on the NJ forum base their entire reason for not leaving that crooked, over-priced state on "there's no way I could move to the South- you can't get a good pizza or bagels down there".....lol
Hey, I'm not saying I wouldnt miss my sunday morning bagels and lox, and great deli sandwiches, I WILL, but every place is a tradeoff......I do find liquor problems in the south (ie some states like virginia have abc stores w/limited hours to buy booze) lol but luckily in Vegas it's even more liberal than NY in that regard.....most important things as I said, finding a good job, cost of living, and meeting nice people and eventually a girlfriend/wife, everything else can be adapted to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top