Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 PM

1,408 posts, read 3,303,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Success does not equate insightful, being open minded, or having any class.

The whole diatribe about over weight women walking the strip...... Those are 98% tourists.

Hey if people found out about all the local area parks with trails, close by national parks etc. Everyone would want to move here. How about that new dino national monument (park), how cool is that!

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
I totally agree with you. But, this is a city I love and I'm just realizing, there are many, many people in this country who think of las Vegas as "sleasy and sinful." That why I hate that stupid motto they came up with about what happens here, stays here. When someone says "Vegas," its as if slang is sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 02:14 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
No he did not get it right, but it just goes to show you that people with more money than sense do the wrong things constantly. It should be LAS Vegas. It's as bad as calling San Antonio "San Antone", or San Francisco "Frisco". He also didn't get it right when he called them the Golden Knights either, but that may have been a problem with the league. I never understood what was going on there. Las Vegas Nights would make more sense as far as PR and advertising. Some think Silver Knights would be better as this is the Silver State.

I'm reminded of a lot of failed projects that started off on the wrong foot. Main Street Station with his sky writing for advertising showing off that he's a pilot and could do it comes to mind.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:35 AM

243 posts, read 236,177 times
Lets say you live in San Francisco, CA, a beautiful city in so many ways. "Frisco" is such a VULGAR term that anyone in Las Vegas except a drunk tourist would say "VEGAS BABY!!!!!!!". I think that I shall stick with the term Las Vegas even though I live in unincorporated Clark County in Summerlin South 89135.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:12 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,144,349 times
"They look down their noses at this city and think of it as low class and sleazy. It hurts my feeling and I resent it to the max."

I would be more upset that I had raised judgemental people that would look down their nose at anyone.
I would certainly not let their opinions bother me knowing such.

Of course maybe that is the connection, worrying about what others think causes you to feel better than others? They learned it somewhere.

Love your city and your decisions and let your kids think what they want.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,494,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
No he did not get it right, but it just goes to show you that people with more money than sense do the wrong things constantly. It should be LAS Vegas. It's as bad as calling San Antonio "San Antone", or San Francisco "Frisco". He also didn't get it right when he called them the Golden Knights either, but that may have been a problem with the league. I never understood what was going on there. Las Vegas Nights would make more sense as far as PR and advertising. Some think Silver Knights would be better as this is the Silver State.

I'm reminded of a lot of failed projects that started off on the wrong foot. Main Street Station with his sky writing for advertising showing off that he's a pilot and could do it comes to mind.
Right on right on right on!

That is the stupidest name. Agree with you should of been Las Vegas Knights - period. That is enough. Its like no long term thought went into this.

Actually I like the 'Vegas MOB' but am probably alone in that one. That is the cities past. Embrace it. The MOB museum and a team named that could of played off each other.

When I'm traveling overseas and you say Las Vegas, they ALWAYS answer some form of Vegas baby. ha-ha

About 9 years ago I was still getting asked what hotel we live in. This was in Paris and it was someone from Boston. haha

Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM

9,478 posts, read 12,214,762 times
Wow, a lot of hard feelings over the use/not use of THREE WORDS. Come on, people, it's not that big of a deal. It is the word "the"!

I don't live there full time (I'm there enough to think I am a part timer), but I use both Vegas and Las Vegas. There is no rhyme or reason to when I use either. It's more about laziness. Sometimes Vegas is just easier to say, like shortening the name Robert to Bob. This is especially true when typing. Vegas is much easier/faster. It's like using Xmas instead of Christmas (but let's not start that debate, please). It's almost the same as a contraction, if you think about it. Why type out "does not" when you can type out "doesn't". It's just faster.

It's a common nickname that has become even more common thanks to the marketing for the city. What Happens in Vegas Stays in Vegas just flows better than What Happens in LAS Vegas Stays in LAS Vegas. A major website for tourism is vegas.com, etc. Just let it go

Last edited by ElleTea; 12-01-2016 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 AM

50,057 posts, read 46,562,994 times
Been going there forever and it's always be Vegas. It's LA not Los Angeles but LV sounds dumb

Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 AM

661 posts, read 625,860 times
" I'm going to Vegas!"

Old 12-01-2016, 10:19 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,073,596 times
I say san Antone, and Vegas. I would probably say Frisco if I ever had plans to go there. Fite me in reel lyfe.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,483,973 times
Ho hum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: