U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-27-2008, 12:49 PM

39 posts, read 138,129 times
Smile Any construction safety managers out there?

I'm thinking of changing careers and with the huge construction industry here - I wanted to go into construction. I've tried applying as construction admin assistant (because I have admin experience, just not in the construction field); however, they want someone with construction knowledge.

So, I've decided that I may take a course to become a safety manager, since you don't have to have a college degree to make good money. It also sounds interesting.

Anyone out there currently working as a construction safety manager that can let me know what the real job is REALLY like? Sure, I've read online, but as everyone knows, it's not like it is when it comes straight from people who live and breathe it every day.

Would appreciate any insight into this profession and what daily life is like for a construction safety manager.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-27-2008, 05:00 PM

9,125 posts, read 21,509,478 times
The life of a safety manager can be pretty miserable, to be perfectly honest. You're the guy (or gal) who gets to spend his/her day finding people doing things wrong, making them correct their actions, and writing them up or fining them when they don't comply- you're not exactly the most popular person on the jobsite, if you know what I mean. I guess the "interesting" part kinda depends on what you consider "interesting"- to me, it was probably the most boring job on the site, but some people seem to really get off on the little power-trip that you can get from being a ballbuster.

The only people I've ever seen who manage to get any respect from the workers as safety guys go are guys who worked as tradespeople or supers, and the guys can "relate" to them- they can talk to the tradespeople with an "I know it's a pain to cut studs with your safety glasses on- one time I ......." type of demeanor, whereas you're going to be seen more as the "look who's coming- it's the safety PITA" person since you don't have that experience.

Before signing up for the course, you also may want to do some independent research on what the position actually pays vs what the school is telling you you'll make. For many companies, the safety guy is really a nuisance position that they have to fill to satisfy OSHA and the requirements of the GC or CM, so it's not exactly a high-paying job. Other companies, though, take safety seriously and may pay better. In either case, I wouldn't expect to make much more than what you're probably used to making as an admin.

Unread 02-28-2008, 11:22 AM

39 posts, read 138,129 times
Thanks so much for the insight, Bob. I'm just finding it impossible to find decent work and decent pay here! I want to break into the construction field, because it's a booming industry and the pay is good - but not sure (without a college degree) how I'm going to be able to do it!

I appreciate your input and will definitely reconsider all of the options prior to plunking down a few thousand to learn this job.

Unread 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM

9,125 posts, read 21,509,478 times
Wanna know how I got into the construction industry out there? I had a BS degree in construction management, and it was still a "who you know" and "call me when you get some local experience" kinda place even with the degree (it's not so much that way now, but it was in the mid 90's). I went to work as a superintendent for Sylvan Pools, and was building pools in backyards of homes that were under construction, and I would walk through the houses, check out plans, get familiar with the local techniques/materials, and meet people in the business. Over time, I met the VP of a small home building company, and became the super in one of his tracts.

Sylvan (now Anthony-Sylvan) is always looking for supers and schedulers, it seems, and some of their best employees were people who came into the business with no construction experience. It was a pretty fun job, and I learned alot. If you send me a DM I'll tell you who to call, and you can tell him I sent you.

Unread 02-28-2008, 10:17 PM

122 posts, read 226,624 times
I'd have no problem with people thinking I was a "ballbuster" or not liking me as long as I knew in my heart that I was doing it to make people safer. I wouldn't do that job for a power trip, but there is probably a lot of stress involved if you think you might miss something and someone gets hurt. I agree with Bob, it takes a certain type of person to be able to do this job and you need to be very thick-skinned or it will never work out.

Unread 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 9,569 times
Default Construction Safety

Most important skill is how you deal with people-- 99% of gig is handling different personalities-- also, be strong in keeping the people safe, and be humble in your ego.

Lots of work here in NYC-- but the catch 22 is ya gotta have experience-- so how to get there? Me, I started in the SeaBees--great for me, ya might wanna take a looksee.
Good luck!

Unread 01-11-2009, 11:57 AM

33 posts, read 59,822 times
You should get your 30hr osha certification card, this might help ya. I got one! The next class is [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]
2/23-2/27/09 it's free thru scats
State of Nevada -
The instructors are very nice and it was a long week but well worth it. The also have other classes you might enjoy such as scaffolds, etc.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Unread 01-23-2009, 08:55 PM

osha 30 is the bare minimum-- most sites also expect a 500 card, and in certain localities, u may need to be licensed-- the more certs, the better your chances-- the 40 hr HAZWOPER is always a plus--on the rare occasion where I'm hiring a novice, I look at overall life experience-- one of my better mentorees is a former State Trooper-- no previous exp in const safety-- but his ability to handle the people factors of the gig more than compensated for the training he had to get.

Unread 10-04-2009, 12:28 PM

follow up to the above-- good starting points would include first aid/cpr instructor-- teaches you how to handle groups, express a standard, and is a good lead in to safety. Eons ago when I was starting out, I was given the advice to seek out a state OSH plan compliance officer position-- never tried it, but friends who did recommend it, as a base point. Money isn't great but a year or so there will get the doors open for you.

Unread 08-08-2010, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
Default I need a few good men -- in Afghanistan

Need a job? I've got 3 position that I need to fill.

I'm a business development MGR working for a private construction firm in Afghanistan. My company needs 3 American citizens with extensive backgrounds in Construction Management. The project is in Afghanistan but the jobsite will be relatively safe (inside the wire) and secure. I'm looking for the following personnel to satisfy an 18-month to 2-year contract: Site Super, QC MGR and a Safety MGR. If you can fit the bill send me your resume immediately. Experienced personnel who have worked in Afghanistan are preferred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas