Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,324,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Metro doesn't handle gaming cards anymore..there is no longer a Sheriff's card for gaming employees.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/workcards.html - broken link)

Effective January 1, 2004, gaming work cards are no longer issued by LVMPD. Gaming employees must be registered with the Gaming Control Board. Registration packets may be obtained from Human Resource offices at place of employment.
So, it looks like resort employees, as housekeeping, servers, and bartenders, etc no longer need a sheriff's card? No criminal background check? I couldn't find anything about these on NV Gaming Control's site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 05:18 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,454,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
So, it looks like resort employees, as housekeeping, servers, and bartenders, etc no longer need a sheriff's card? No criminal background check? I couldn't find anything about these on NV Gaming Control's site.

Jeez, I don't know about those...it only says "gaming positions". I guess you're going to have to look up the Nevada Statutes to see what is the defination of a "gaming position"...

employed in a gaming position, as defined in Nevada Revised Statute 463.0157

Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Jeez, I don't know about those positions...it only says "gaming postions"
I checked both NV Gaming Control, and LVMPD, and neither shows these workers as mandatory applicants. I did a 6 month stint in corporate security, and will testify, that "work cards" prior to this change were a formality, as the resorts' asset protection were almost guaranteed prior to the hiring of any worker.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Jeez, I don't know about those...it only says "gaming positions". I guess you're going to have to look up the Nevada Statutes to see what is the defination of a "gaming position"...

employed in a gaming position, as defined in Nevada Revised Statute 463.0157
Basically, what we all consider gaming employees. NRS: CHAPTER 463 - LICENSING AND CONTROL OF GAMING

Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,454,160 times
There ya go, that's it. Looks like those positions you mentioned are not on there.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 AM

Quote:
There ya go, that's it. Looks like those positions you mentioned are not on there.
Maybe, Dynovegas will inform us as to what non-gaming employees are bound by.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:04 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,032,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Maybe, Dynovegas will inform us as to what non-gaming employees are bound by.
non gaming employees [non food service types] are required to show up and work or get fired lol...... food service tyes have to have a TAM card....taint like the olden days.....

Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 AM

572 posts, read 1,680,835 times
Quote:
Davey, you'll need a TAM card, I think it's called AAM card now..Alcohol Awareness Card...you can take that course online or at several of the state approved locations, you don't have to be a resident of Nevada to get one. Online courses ARE available, but you need to make sure they are State of Nevada approved.

TAM of Nevada - TAMcards - TAMcard Official Site - Alcohol Awareness Training

For a Health Card...you need photo ID...and a New York State issued driver's license is acceptable...you'll have to attend the class, watch the movie and get a Hep A shot...I don't remember if they test you for TB anymore...You don't have to be a resident of Nevada to get one
Health Card Instructions - Southern Nevada Health District

The work card (Sheriff's Card) formerly issued by Las Vegas Metropolitan is no longer being used for gaming occupations. If you're going to be employed around gaming, you'll need to be registered with the Nevada Gaming Control Board, run by the State of Nevada. You'll need to provide proof of ID, residency, get fingerprinted, etc. and you have to be referred by your future employer to obtain this work card..

FAQ's About Gaming Devices (http://gaming.nv.gov/ger_faqs.htm - broken link)

Usually, if you don't have any of these cards, and you are hired, the employer requests any of these cards and gives you the info on where to obtain them. I believe with the TAM card, if your employer requests it...it is free if you're going to be working at least 30 hours a week.

Hope that helps!
Wow, thanks Mom!! This is great. The links I had must've been outdated, 'cause it did not have all this info! I will definitely look into this for when I'm out there... if not this month, then sometime soon before year end.
'
'thanks again!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 21,991 times
Default tam is 35$

I was just got bith my TAM and Health card today. Dont be fooled, the tam card is 35$ ot 20$ and the health card is 50$. if you have been gone a while and your health card had expired you pay 65$( like I just did) becuase I was living in cal and dint get it renewed. your looking at 100$ bucks just for the cards. I paid 65$ today to watch a 45 min movie on how to wash my hands...................... welcome to vegas!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 21,991 times
Default tam card

Davey, I just brought my Cali ID and a social security card and you get a big old HEP A shot. peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas