Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

I am sorry to hear this. And sort of surprised as well. I have always thought Las Vegas was the least racist place I have ever lived. Not because we are more advanced here. But because it's all economic discrimination. We don't care at all if you are different, as long as you have money. Just don't be poor and you are good to go.

I live on the East side, no HOA. And it's those garage in front houses. But in my little dead end street we have Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, and Asians plus working and retired people. An older couple from Germany too. We have a 2 mommy family about 100 yards away. Everyone is friendly and we all get along. We know who belongs in the hood and we watch out for each other. The neighborhood is working class, nothing fancy. I think it is average Las Vegas. And no way would you or your SO be treated poorly here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 12:53 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
My buddy is gay and says that many of his neighbors are as well. He lives on Franklin street.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:17 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We have a couple of gay clients and do not find it much of a problem. I think you simply got unlucky in your Desert Shores place. And it can happen any where. No way to certify a block and even if good when you get in it can go to heck as it turns over. I would think you can do fine in the NW...simply north of Summerlin. There are places in 89129 and 89149 that will work and are in your price range. You can also get up a little further north into Centennial Hills and Providence though you will only be able to deal with the small houses in Providence. Note though those districts will virtually all have HOAs. Best chance to avoid an HOA in that are is the southern side of 89129...basically south of Cheyenne from 95. We know a Lesbian couple in that area but they are in the high rent district. Their house is someplace between $750K and a million. They like the area though again they are far up the scale.

You are pretty much locked out of Summerlin by cost and HOA. There are some possibilities further south to the east of Summerlin but you are going to have to pick through the litter.
This.

The OP got stuck with asshat neighbors...a possibility anywhetr. My cul de sac has two lesbian households and a gay/ trans household...zero issues. Two blocks away in the SAME subdivision another lesbian couple were harassed for over two years via the HOA by a neighbor guy who wanted a threesome which they had refused. Finally when the market crashed the douchebag and his wife were forced to move but he made those womens lives as much of a nightmare as he possibly could up until then. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid an HOA (unless you are willing to be on the board) opens up the possibility of endless problems if someone decides to target your household for whatever reason.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:03 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I predict Gay bars, Gay ghetto's will largely disappear over time. They were needed at one time, but no longer.

I would recommend Huntridge, no cookie cutters in that area, or any of the older neighborhoods of East Central or West Central/Scotch 80's. Can't imagine why any Gay person would want to live in the most conservative areas of the Valley: Summerlin/Henderson.

I'm over in the so-called "townhouse district" of East Central, and I frequent a bar over near Sandhill/DI, and there's a Gay couple that come to this Straight bar, and openly kiss each other and there's no issue with the Straight clientele.

I'm Gay, and haven't been to a cliquish Las Vegas Gay bar in over 15 years (always hated the Gay bars in this city), and I feel most comfortable going to any of the so-called Straight bars in my neighborhood, all 5 of them!

And today if you want to meet people, turn to the Internet, lots of options there like Meetup.com

Last edited by tijlover; 02-07-2017 at 04:19 AM..

Old 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
If you have the money, why not try for better privacy, such as a more rural home, where your back yard is not the size of a walk-in closet and you have a little land between and the next house, not like the 3 feet of separation, like some home tracts have. This is just an idea. You may like living close to other neighbors. I don't ....and prefer some space. Not sure if that would be desirable to be on a bigger piece of land a little further out.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:20 PM

23 posts, read 40,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
We have a couple of gay clients and do not find it much of a problem. I think you simply got unlucky in your Desert Shores place. And it can happen any where. No way to certify a block and even if good when you get in it can go to heck as it turns over. I would think you can do fine in the NW...simply north of Summerlin. There are places in 89129 and 89149 that will work and are in your price range. You can also get up a little further north into Centennial Hills and Providence though you will only be able to deal with the small houses in Providence. Note though those districts will virtually all have HOAs. Best chance to avoid an HOA in that are is the southern side of 89129...basically south of Cheyenne from 95. We know a Lesbian couple in that area but they are in the high rent district. Their house is someplace between $750K and a million. They like the area though again they are far up the scale.

You are pretty much locked out of Summerlin by cost and HOA. There are some possibilities further south to the east of Summerlin but you are going to have to pick through the litter.
Thanks for the overview! Yeah, there are areas around (not necessarily in) Lone Mountain that have fit the bill, kinda. Sorta. Found quite a few promising places south of Summerlin Parkway east and west of Rainbow that fit the bill. Also we find Westleigh and Rancho Charleston charming: edges of neighborhoods seem a little rough, but charming and doable. Prices seem a little bit out of reach. Just wondering how much [insert religious affiliation/low SES] static we're gonna have to deal with. The hunt continues...

Old 02-07-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I am sorry to hear this. And sort of surprised as well. I have always thought Las Vegas was the least racist place I have ever lived. Not because we are more advanced here. But because it's all economic discrimination. We don't care at all if you are different, as long as you have money. Just don't be poor and you are good to go.

I live on the East side, no HOA. And it's those garage in front houses. But in my little dead end street we have Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, and Asians plus working and retired people. An older couple from Germany too. We have a 2 mommy family about 100 yards away. Everyone is friendly and we all get along. We know who belongs in the hood and we watch out for each other. The neighborhood is working class, nothing fancy. I think it is average Las Vegas. And no way would you or your SO be treated poorly here.
I really would like to consider the East side, but commuting to jobs on the West side of the Valley (and beyond) kinda take it off the list. Yeah, this low-level harassment is a bummer, and I am really unpleasantly surprised by it as well

Old 02-07-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
My buddy is gay and says that many of his neighbors are as well. He lives on Franklin street.
Thanks! I will look into it

Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If you have the money, why not try for better privacy, such as a more rural home, where your back yard is not the size of a walk-in closet and you have a little land between and the next house, not like the 3 feet of separation, like some home tracts have. This is just an idea. You may like living close to other neighbors. I don't ....and prefer some space. Not sure if that would be desirable to be on a bigger piece of land a little further out.
Rural things that we've seen (like Mount Charleston) are waaay too expensive... and commute times are a big deal. We actually grew up in rural areas and do not like them for one reason or another. (Don't want to start a holy war over Rural vs Urban, just saying we don't want to live in the country or far flung suburbs) Also, we have small pets and I would literally fall apart if a coyote ran off with one of them. And it's not outside the realm of possibility--saw one loping across Rampart the other night on the way home

Old 02-07-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I predict Gay bars, Gay ghetto's will largely disappear over time. They were needed at one time, but no longer.

I would recommend Huntridge, no cookie cutters in that area, or any of the older neighborhoods of East Central or West Central/Scotch 80's. Can't imagine why any Gay person would want to live in the most conservative areas of the Valley: Summerlin/Henderson.

I'm over in the so-called "townhouse district" of East Central, and I frequent a bar over near Sandhill/DI, and there's a Gay couple that come to this Straight bar, and openly kiss each other and there's no issue with the Straight clientele.

I'm Gay, and haven't been to a cliquish Las Vegas Gay bar in over 15 years (always hated the Gay bars in this city), and I feel most comfortable going to any of the so-called Straight bars in my neighborhood, all 5 of them!

And today if you want to meet people, turn to the Internet, lots of options there like Meetup.com

I agree, and it makes me a little sad. Maybe in the long run, it is for the best. I would like to do some Meetups, but with weird work hours it just never seems to happen.

One of the greatest joys in my younger life was living on a street with a lot of gay neighbors and just dropping in for coffee or hot tub time back in the day. I know LV doesn't have that kind of neighbor thing going for it, but it would be nice for the possibility to be around folks you don't have to drive to visit with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas