Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM

424 posts, read 953,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
how is it the stimulus money? that money has been paid back!

Troubled Asset Relief Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What, stimulus money has been paid back? The newspapers, magazines I read and news I watch indicate the exact opposite. I doubt it will EVER get paid back but somehow a "new" accounting method and the folks up in Washington will try and convince us it was paid back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy View Post
What, stimulus money has been paid back? The newspapers, magazines I read and news I watch indicate the exact opposite. I doubt it will EVER get paid back but somehow a "new" accounting method and the folks up in Washington will try and convince us it was paid back!

"Stimulus" funding would be that mney spent by various entities funded by the feds to provide jobs. The pay back would be facilities. Fixed roads, new roads, new buildings etc. "stimulus" per se is never paid back in dollars.

TARP and such is the money provied to the banks and AIG and the car companines to avoid their failure. Much of that will be repaid. In fact much has been repaid. Iwould also be skeptical that it will all be recovered though much will be by selling ownership positions in the various entitities involved.

I would expect that much of the AIG money will in fact be recovered as well as virtually all the funds given to the banks.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I would expect that much of the AIG money will in fact be recovered as well as virtually all the funds given to the banks.
Well, whaddya know? Those big, evil banks are going to pay back their debts while all those underwater homeowners walk away from their mortgages without doing the same. There are plenty of bailout funds available so don't forget the key money!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Well, whaddya know? Those big, evil banks are going to pay back their debts while all those underwater homeowners walk away from their mortgages without doing the same. There are plenty of bailout funds available so don't forget the key money!
Your point?

The losers in the crash were seldom the banks who ended up owning little. They grab their money as the deals went past. The argument is really who eats the losses created by the lenders...most of whom no longer exist. Ohh it won't be the banks.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Your point?

The losers in the crash were seldom the banks who ended up owning little. They grab their money as the deals went past. The argument is really who eats the losses created by the lenders...most of whom no longer exist. Ohh it won't be the banks.
Oh yeah, I forgot it was the lenders that manipulate the housing market and created the losses.[/tinfoil hat]

Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Ohhh you suggest Countrywide was simply a back woods bank taken advantage of by nefarious and skilled borrowers?

Then again you are sometimes a little slow...

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Ohhh you suggest Countrywide was simply a back woods bank taken advantage of by nefarious and skilled borrowers?

Then again you are sometimes a little slow...
Countrywide paid for their mistakes by being acquired at a substantial discount by another entity. They were not bailed out. Is that the extent of your explanation on how lenders manipulate the housing market?[/tinfoil hat]

Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Countrywide paid for their mistakes by being acquired at a substantial discount by another entity. They were not bailed out. Is that the extent of your explanation on how lenders manipulate the housing market?[/tinfoil hat]

Ow... and the people who ran CW and all the minions who profited from their actions were stripped of their gains and properly punished?

Cite a source.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Ow... and the people who ran CW and all the minions who profited from their actions were stripped of their gains and properly punished?

Cite a source.
Those minions would include the realtors that profited by selling wildly overpriced homes to gullible buyers, yes? Certainly they too should be stripped of their profits and punished for their participation in this debacle. I'm sure you've returned the commissions you've collected from anyone that's underwater or been foreclosed on. Seems only fair.

...but lets hear more on how the lenders manipulate the housing market and created all these losses.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Those minions would include the realtors that profited by selling wildly overpriced homes to gullible buyers, yes? Certainly they too should be stripped of their profits and punished for their participation in this debacle. I'm sure you've returned the commissions you've collected from anyone that's underwater or been foreclosed on. Seems only fair.

...but lets hear more on how the lenders manipulate the housing market and created all these losses.

Nope. No Realtors I know of worked for or contracted with CW. Stop trying to change the subject.

Let us hear your version of how the fraud and crooked dealings of CW were set right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas