Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,448,565 times

Advertisements

There's not much to suggest that the Vegas housing market will finish 2010 strongly. The local employment rate is unlikely to materially improve. Many of the leading macro-economic indicators have begun to roll over (if they haven't already done so). The tax credit will be gone. Some portion of future demand was pulled forward simply because of the tax credit. Interest rates are already at decade's lows. I would consider it a moral victory if median prices finished on par with their current level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 06:46 PM

139 posts, read 458,576 times
I feel a certain inflation whenever when Meredith Whitney talks economics...But it would be be better if she were doing the show in a Hooters outfit. The Kenyan should have hired her instead of Geithner. Her used underwear has more brains than Paul Krugman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
This is something that we have to take into consideration, whether you agree with it or not.

[SIZE=4]Housing Double-Dip to Slow US Economy's Recovery: Whitney - CNBC[/SIZE]
Jun 21, 2010 ... The US economy faces a perilous second half as a new set of problems hits real estate and thwarts any chance for a strong recovery, ...
www.cnbc.com/.../Housing_Double_Dip_to_Slow_Economic_Recovery_Whitney

Old 07-07-2010, 07:49 PM

100 posts, read 180,593 times
Default Re:

There's increased sales activity in townhouses/condos though (4587 1st half 2010 compared to last yr's 3867).

SFR median prices are ~1.4% below last yr whilst twh/cnd are on par with last yr. Consider that 2009 prices was 2/3rd that of 2008 and under 50% of 2006, its a sign of a bottom (assuming no double dip).

The higher twh/cnd activity can be explained by prices which are 33% of 2006 prices and 50% of 2008.

More importantly, I see the end of the tax subsidy as effect a $6.5k/8k price increase already. This should have a bigger impact in NV due to the lower price base than national sales numbers.

Judging by listing prices and actual sales price to list, I suspect we might see a very slight increase in prices by yr end even if sales numbers drop off from July.

Olecapt's REO inventory chart is relevant. There's an increase in REO inventory from May which imho is still not in sufficient numbers to affect overall prices. However if the trend continues, this may have an adverse impact on prices.

I've been tracking my zip for REO risk and owners at high risk of foreclosure have dipped from ~20% at its peak to ~6% (due to the crazy levels of foreclosures) so that at least is a bright spark for me. Not too many more to come.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim10 View Post
There's increased sales activity in townhouses/condos though (4587 1st half 2010 compared to last yr's 3867).

SFR median prices are ~1.4% below last yr whilst twh/cnd are on par with last yr. Consider that 2009 prices was 2/3rd that of 2008 and under 50% of 2006, its a sign of a bottom (assuming no double dip).

The higher twh/cnd activity can be explained by prices which are 33% of 2006 prices and 50% of 2008.

More importantly, I see the end of the tax subsidy as effect a $6.5k/8k price increase already. This should have a bigger impact in NV due to the lower price base than national sales numbers.

Judging by listing prices and actual sales price to list, I suspect we might see a very slight increase in prices by yr end even if sales numbers drop off from July.

Olecapt's REO inventory chart is relevant. There's an increase in REO inventory from May which imho is still not in sufficient numbers to affect overall prices. However if the trend continues, this may have an adverse impact on prices.

I've been tracking my zip for REO risk and owners at high risk of foreclosure have dipped from ~20% at its peak to ~6% (due to the crazy levels of foreclosures) so that at least is a bright spark for me. Not too many more to come.

So, what's the bottom line? Las Vegas is still in the dumps?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Looks like it is going to stay in the same place. Quick look at July says pricing is about the same. Average is way up but that is a single expensive house.

Split is still changing. Classics and REOs continue to drop and shorts are now the number 1 sales category...

REO inventory appears to be stabilizing.

Overall it looks like the doldrums.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
More importantly, I see the end of the tax subsidy as effect a $6.5k/8k price increase already.
Huh?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Huh?
No homebuyers tax credit = higher cost of housing = indirectly higher price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
As per olecapt, don't expect much change this year but prices will likely go up in the medium term.

My recommendation for investors is to buy townhouses/condos with low maintenance/HOAs. There's more upside than SFRs.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 AM

270 posts, read 838,380 times
Quote:
My recommendation for investors is to buy townhouses/condos with low maintenance/HOAs. There's more upside than SFRs.

That's interesting and it goes against what I've learned of SFRs having better appreciation potential than attached homes. Why do you think those have more potential? Are HOAs really that burdensome to the majority of buyers?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
No homebuyers tax credit = higher cost of housing = indirectly higher price.
Except the market has not cleared the pipeline of homes still subject to the tax credit. That was the intent of extending the tax credit for an additional 90 days - to give the buyers under contract by the April deadline additional time to close and still get the credit. There is a pipeline of properties under contract that were not going to close by the June 30th deadline.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 AM

Default Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
Except the market has not cleared the pipeline of homes still subject to the tax credit. That was the intent of extending the tax credit for an additional 90 days - to give the buyers under contract by the April deadline additional time to close and still get the credit. There is a pipeline of properties under contract that were not going to close by the June 30th deadline.
Agreed. Just that the credit no longer applies to contracts signed/entered after May 1st i.e. its pricier now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
That's interesting and it goes against what I've learned of SFRs having better appreciation potential than attached homes. Why do you think those have more potential? Are HOAs really that burdensome to the majority of buyers?
TWH/CND median prices are at $70k with the previous peak @ $206k which means its 34% of peak. SFR prices are at $140k with a peak of $315k i.e. 45% of peak. That's a potential price differential of 10% which be a factor of people selling due to high, unaffordable HOA maintenance.

In layman's language, TWH/CND price psf is lower than SFR i.e. you get a bigger house. And if prices of all types of housing go back to peaks, one would earn more from townhouses/condos vs SFRs $ for $.

One indication. yr-on-yr, TWH/CND medians have gone up 6% whilst SFR prices are still as they were. Sales have gone up 17.3% in the 1st half for TWH/CNDs as compared to -2% for SFRs.

And as usual, I would qualify to say that I don't think prices will go back to peak but doesn't change the recommendation.

Last edited by Slim10; 07-09-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas