Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 07:59 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercar View Post
And be specific. And ethics - what are you even talking about?
You are asking a drivelling poster to address a DIRECT question. Won't happen. I would also like to know what ethics your posts lack. VERY scary that some of the posters on this site can decieve ANY of the visitors to this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
You can't seem to grasp selective context and allusion. The guy said prices had only gone down once in 40 years. What he didn't mention was that prices had never risen as quickly in those 40 years or that income and rent ratios had never approached those levels in those 40 years. Nope, he just says prices have only gone down once in 40 years. A floating statement with no context or meaning other than the meaning he intends to misrepresent in the mind of the listener. Then he talks nonsense about inventory and supply and demand, neither of which had any relevance to the housing and credit bubble.

NAR isn't stupid. They're just like any other self-serving propaganda organization. I gotta hand it to them though; any organization that can get blatantly monopolistic policies passed as the law of the land has their act (or should I say PAC) together.
Is it just me, or does it seem the NAR spends far more than the $80mil/yr they collect from "dues"???

Old 05-09-2008, 09:59 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
And be specific. And ethics - what are you even talking about?
Dude 66...

"
Because it's a lesson well worth remembering --

Never trust a realtor. ("Home prices never go down!")
"

A position you have enlisted to support...see above...

Supporting a lie is quite as unethical as making it. Particularly when addressed at a large group.

I am about as hard on Realtors as a group as anyone...particularly on practices designed to enhance revenue rather than provide correct service.

But the quote is an outright lie...and those who support outright lies are called?....

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Dude 66...

"

"

Supporting a lie is quite as unethical as making it. Particularly when addressed at a large group.

I am about as hard on Realtors as a group as anyone...particularly on practices designed to enhance revenue rather than provide correct service.

But the quote is an outright lie...and those who support outright lies are called?....
Wow! Who has no ethics---------Dude66, or Bumpercar?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:18 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:

I KNOW I KNOW.....PICK ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Outright Liars????????

Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM

289 posts, read 1,039,826 times
Quote:
Dude 66...

"

"

I know for a fact realtors have misled potential buyers into thinking home prices never go down. I have friends who were told that exact thing back in 2005 when they were looking. So no, I don't have NAR saying that directly, but the fact is a LOT of unethical realtors out there did everything they could to prey upon naive first-time home buyers and twist statistics anyway they could.

I just had a realtor ring my doorbell yesterday here in Las Vegas. Aside from the the fact that it tells you a lot about how bad business is going -- a door to door realtor? -- he gave me the hard sell about how inventory in Las Vegas is "vanishing" and that if I didn't jump into the market now, I'll lose out on the opportunity of a lifetime(!)

Is he on crack? Buying into a market that just lost 20% of its value in a year? Do realtors think we're incapable of reading the news ourselves? Damned if I didn't want to throw the assh*le off my porch.

I'm sorry Olecapt, but I have diminishing respect for your profession.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 AM

149 posts, read 346,930 times
Default Supporting a lie?

So anytime someone responds to someone else's posting without rejecting it completely, that means the responder supports the original poster's contention 100%? Get real olecapt. I never claimed NAR said prices never go down. I said the quote from the NAR representative is close to saying prices never go down. NAR said prices have only gone down once in a 40 year period. You think that's not close to saying they never going down? How about if he said once in 100 years? Once in 1000 years?

You're so caught up rejecting the OP's claim you're throwing all reason to the wind. By misstating what I said and calling me a liar you're doing exactly what you accuse the original poster of.

Quote:
Dude 66...

"

"

Old 05-09-2008, 11:47 AM

289 posts, read 1,039,826 times
More proof of the real estate charlatans at work:

Scenes From The Las Vegas Housing Meltdown

"Doug French, an executive vice president of a Nevada bank, spent Derby day at a housing auction in Las Vegas and what he saw wasn't pretty.... 'It seemed like a real auction. But it was only real like professional wrestling is real.'"

More: Scenes From The Las Vegas Housing Meltdown (http://dealbreaker.com/2008/05/scenes_from_the_las_vegas_hous.php - broken link)

I also saw this. Is it true?

Home Equity Lines of Credit Taken Away From Almost All Las Vegas Home Owners

May 8, 2008

"In yet another sign of the grim economic crisis, Countrywide Financial Corp. has suspended the home equity credit lines of almost all its Las Vegas customers. This action is not only limited to Countrywide or Las Vegas for that matter."

article: Home Equity Lines of Credit Taken Away From Almost All Las Vegas Home Owners (http://www.gambling911.com/Home-Equity-Lines-Las-Vegas-050908.html - broken link)

Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 PM

151 posts, read 246,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post

"Doug French, an executive vice president of a Nevada bank, spent Derby day at a housing auction in Las Vegas and what he saw wasn't pretty.... 'It seemed like a real auction. But it was only real like professional wrestling is real.'"

More: Scenes From The Las Vegas Housing Meltdown (http://dealbreaker.com/2008/05/scenes_from_the_las_vegas_hous.php - broken link)

May 8, 2008

"In yet another sign of the grim economic crisis, Countrywide Financial Corp. has suspended the home equity credit lines of almost all its Las Vegas customers. This action is not only limited to Countrywide or Las Vegas for that matter."

article: Home Equity Lines of Credit Taken Away From Almost All Las Vegas Home Owners (http://www.gambling911.com/Home-Equity-Lines-Las-Vegas-050908.html - broken link)
Now this is the kind of due diligence any individual should make prior to acting as a buyer or seller. This is the kind of information readily and immediately available on the internet. I ask If any of us Vegas folks have ever had a Real estate Agent or broker give us the above information?? Does anyone really think they ever will?? Yeaaaahhhh Rigggghhhht. I wish more home buyers and sellers would be informed by their Agents of actual, non industry propaganda, statements and facts as presented above. Talk about lack of disclosure by agents but again that is not their fault as the agents job is to make money for themselves. It is up to each of us to make sure we are not falling for a con job. Thus the need for any buyer to do his or her own research especially in times such as these.

Agents can get us the latest comps as long as they input the correct data and keep the area's for comping true reflections of what we are buying or selling. An agent is just a tool for US to use in evaluating our purchase or sale. The quality of the agent (Tool) is again our responsibility to determine their worth to us. Do we want a Makita, Craftsman or top of the line tool. We need to figure out which is which and how much of that data is good information from which WE will make our decisions.
FOD

Last edited by fishordie; 05-09-2008 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post

May 8, 2008

It is true, but it is selective reporting. Almost every market in the nation is experiencing the same with regard to HELOC's being withdrawn from what I have heard from other lending professionals. True, they do disclaim it with that second sentence, but isn't your original issue with misguiding headlines and whatnot anyway? What's good for the goose is good for the gander, and if you are going to chastise the NAR for misleading (although not necessarily intentional) quotes and headlines I don't think you should quote opposing points of view that use the same tactic.

Also, there are bad apples in every profession. I'm not excusing anyone that misled their clients in the name of revenue, but to label an entire industry because of the misdeeds of a minority is a little irresponsible in my opinion. Of course, I am a loan officer and I will likely feel the brunt of your criticism next, but the fact is that I am not a salesman which is probably why I am not more succesful. I have never sold an option ARM or an interest only loan. The majority of my business is FTHB programs, such as FHA and MyCommunity, and refinancing people from ARM's into fixed FHA loans. I make damn sure that my clients will not be put in a hardship situation through any of my doing. Draw whatever conclusions that you will from that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas