Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 04:41 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,325,766 times

Advertisements

Interesting, PMI will pull the plug on all low-document loan insurance as of June 1st in LV. ReviewJournal.com - Business - Yes, the news on housing worsens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,931,486 times
are these in aliante? they are either bank owned or short sales

Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 PM

289 posts, read 1,038,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
The Europeans are paying between $8 and $10 a gallon now.
The Europeans don't have SUVs, Hummers, or vast stretches of suburbia and interstate highways -- all requiring gobs of oil and gas to traverse. The Europeans have workable public transport. The Europeans are willing to use mopeds or bicycles to get to work, and many of them can do it because their cities were built around the idea of living where you work. Not so in America, where it's six-lane highways and people living in "exurbs" stranded 40 miles outside of cities.

Nobody here "gets" it, but that's okay. You will soon enough.

Solar, nuclear, hydro-electric, all these wonderful technologies that will supposedly save us -- they're a drop in the bucket compared to our oil consumption. How exactly will nuclear power provide the oil needed for asphalt to pave roads? Or make fertilizer? Or power all the cargo ships that import damned near everything we need in America? You need OIL for that.

Understand, you need energy to get energy. You need OIL to drive the tractors to mine all that shale in Canada, refine, and it bring it to market. You need OIL to grow the corn for biofuels. So as oil gets more expensive, so does the cost of extracting it (or alternatives). Soon, you reach a point where you're actually LOSING more energy than you gain.

Not to mention, in order to truly re-tool America around some new energy source, you're looking at 10-20 years of of an intense, massive, and costly effort nationwide, none of which we can probably can afford. And that has to start happening right now... but it's not.

So it's okay. If you want to think this will somehow all work it itself out in the end, and the "market" or government will save us, keep thinking that -- but anybody who seriously studies the situation can see there are no good options. It's Harsh Reality knocking on the door, but I imagine we'll avoid answering it for a few more years... and then WHAM!

Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 58,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude66 View Post
The Europeans don't have SUVs, Hummers, or vast stretches of suburbia and interstate highways -- all requiring gobs of oil and gas to traverse. The Europeans have workable public transport. The Europeans are willing to use mopeds or bicycles to get to work, and many of them can do it because their cities were built around the idea of living where you work. Not so in America, where it's six-lane highways and people living in "exurbs" stranded 40 miles outside of cities.

Nobody here "gets" it, but that's okay. You will soon enough.

Solar, nuclear, hydro-electric, all these wonderful technologies that will supposedly save us -- they're a drop in the bucket compared to our oil consumption. How exactly will nuclear power provide the oil needed for asphalt to pave roads? Or make fertilizer? Or power all the cargo ships that import damned near everything we need in America? You need OIL for that.

Understand, you need energy to get energy. You need OIL to drive the tractors to mine all that shale in Canada, refine, and it bring it to market. You need OIL to grow the corn for biofuels. So as oil gets more expensive, so does the cost of extracting it (or alternatives). Soon, you reach a point where you're actually LOSING more energy than you gain.

Not to mention, in order to truly re-tool America around some new energy source, you're looking at 10-20 years of of an intense, massive, and costly effort nationwide, none of which we can probably can afford. And that has to start happening right now... but it's not.

So it's okay. If you want to think this will somehow all work it itself out in the end, and the "market" or government will save us, keep thinking that -- but anybody who seriously studies the situation can see there are no good options. It's Harsh Reality knocking on the door, but I imagine we'll avoid answering it for a few more years... and then WHAM!
I agree with you 100%

I was born and raised in England and return quite frequently. We usually only use a car for a trip not everyday use (not all people but majority). Also transportation is very good and cheap and very frequent. You can get a all day pass for underground, trains and buses for around 4.50 pounds, it is also very fast. you are correct that most cars are very fuel economical and the distance they drive is a great deal smaller than what we drive, Europe is very compact. Gas is about 4.50 gallon which is equivalent $9 in exchange rate only. A pound buys the same amount as a Dollar. Also the UK uses an imperial gallon which is larger than a US gallon. So we will be paying more than them very shortly, with not many other transport options.

It is like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 PM

11 posts, read 58,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
are these in aliante? they are either bank owned or short sales
They are all in Aliante, and are all foreclosures / short sales. In fact my neighborhood goes down nearly everyday. Price dropped yesterday $177,500 as they could not sell it at $185,000 .

Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Default Goal Line Stand

Here is one for the peanut gallery...

All Aliante above 2500.pdf

This is a graph of the last sale of every home above 2500 SF in Aliante..

Notice that there have not been any? These guys are pretty much holding to their price. There appear to be a break or two coming but none yet...and I don't know that the break will come. Have a client chasing a short under $80 per SF...not holding my breath.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:26 PM

149 posts, read 346,598 times
Default Las Vegas Sun article about Inspirada

No neighbors, no neighborhood - Las Vegas Sun

Old 05-23-2008, 03:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpercar View Post
Yup - I am warning people off Inspirada and Providence for that reason...and I have doubts about parts of Mountains Edge. Ardiente in NLV may also be infected.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:40 PM

713 posts, read 2,713,123 times
I don't live in Vegas but I don't understand why ppl get upset that they have no neighbors. I have 80 lots behind where I live and only about 10 homes got built. The rest of the lots sit empty and I love it. No barking dogs, no screaming kids, no traffic.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,047,430 times
that would be great Bec.....but this place apparantly has tons of lots with homes sitting vacant......not as nice as open land......

would be kinda like the 60 minutes report on Chernobyl......they just need to pipe in Russian Classical Music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas