Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 03:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb3 View Post
Do you think new home prices will drop anymore?
Las Vegas has very low standing inventory of new homes and very few underway. Those are pretty much all being built to in hand contracts.

I would think we have seen most all of the decline in new build homes. I don't think they are going up any time soon either. So anytime between now and spring is probably all the same. And it may contine past spring.

The CEO of Freddie Mac does not bother to think about the price of new built homes in Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 04:05 PM

24 posts, read 66,934 times
Default Income Gain Exclusions – The Scoop on Code Sec. 121.

Income Gain Exclusions – The Scoop on Code Sec. 121. (http://www.trustmakers.com/newsletter/New_email_templates/John/income-gain-exclusions-aug-12-08-print.html - broken link)

What a relief, I found solid info on how the Exclusion is going to work.

The link has a simple explanation on the new tax exclusion when one sells their personal residence.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri B View Post
Income Gain Exclusions – The Scoop on Code Sec. 121. (http://www.trustmakers.com/newsletter/New_email_templates/John/income-gain-exclusions-aug-12-08-print.html - broken link)

What a relief, I found solid info on how the Exclusion is going to work.

The link has a simple explanation on the new tax exclusion when one sells their personal residence.
For most people it is the same old law. The difference is you can't pull the rental conversin shtick any more.

Under some circumstances though it might still be posslibe to protect some gains under the new law. Just less and more complex.

The interesting question will be how it computes on 1031 cascades...

Old 08-15-2008, 03:40 PM

24 posts, read 66,934 times
Default Tax Exemption on Personal Residence

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
For most people it is the same old law. The difference is you can't pull the rental conversin shtick any more.

Under some circumstances though it might still be posslibe to protect some gains under the new law. Just less and more complex.

The interesting question will be how it computes on 1031 cascades...

Since I went from personal residence to rental, I am still covered on the tax exemption. At least that is what the real estate accountants are saying, will know for sure around the end of this year once the IRS clarifies code 121. Do not want to do any kind of 1031 with this property.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri B View Post
Since I went from personal residence to rental, I am still covered on the tax exemption. At least that is what the real estate accountants are saying, will know for sure around the end of this year once the IRS clarifies code 121. Do not want to do any kind of 1031 with this property.
Perhaps at the moment but I would bet not as an ongoing thing. Once you go rental the proportional thing sets in. Probably makes little difference in the early period but rent for a few years and watch the exemption go away.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 AM

375 posts, read 609,248 times
Default I should have taken that money

04-29-2008, 09:09 PM lvlover wrote;
about 4 months on your prediction -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlover View Post
I do love it. Hey benbhmark the date. We are all coming back to see how it came out.

More than 52% are REO by the way. So What? Gaming revenue will likely fall some more. So what?

The new win joint and City Center are moving along to come on line. You think that will be bad?

At presnt the pending guarantee a couple more good months. The vector they indicate says it will continue going up...but who knows. The recession hits hard and LV has to survive at 75% occupancy. What probability do you give that scenario?

But we got you down. Six months out it will still be deteriorating.

Now you wanna put a little money that you will do better than me or Dude66. I will put up a $100 and we let MomMom hold the money. We can let anyone else who wants to play join. Could get interesting.
I saw this interesting video in housing doom.com
An interview on KLAS with Linda Reinberger, former GLVAR president.
Some quotes from the clip -
Las Vegas- “Chances of selling your own home in this market are slim.” | Housing Doom

Old 08-18-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
04-29-2008, 09:09 PM lvlover wrote;
about 4 months on your prediction -
Uhhh who is winning? If it is volume related lvlover wins hands down...volume is still going up. If it is Average price I suspect lvlover is going to win as well. If it is median price you may have a prayer. Median is still going down a bit though REPOs are not.

Quote:
I saw this interesting video in housing doom.com
An interview on KLAS with Linda Reinberger, former GLVAR president.
Some quotes from the clip -
Las Vegas- “Chances of selling your own home in this market are slim.” | Housing Doom
Note that the foreclosures were a little over 1200 per month. We are however sellling roughly 1800 a month. Guess where that leads to?

Fascinating market. I too though would advise clients to rent if they did not absolutely have to sell. If you wait out the foreclosures I suspect you will pick up 15% or more in less than 6 months.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:33 PM

375 posts, read 609,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Uhhh who is winning? If it is volume related lvlover wins hands down...volume is still going up. If it is Average price I suspect lvlover is going to win as well. If it is median price you may have a prayer. Median is still going down a bit though REPOs are not. .......
I was just poking a little fun. I think his/her intent was that the market was going to recover. I don't think it's anywhere near it. Interesting video clip though.

--... ...--/ --- .-.. . -.-. .- .--. - / .... ..

Old 08-18-2008, 03:26 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,783,561 times
"Las Vegas home prices at 2003 level: From the Las Vegas Sun"

Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Zillow does not know very much.

SFR median pricing in February of 2004 was $220,000. July 2008 SFR median was $220,000. Similar for condos was mid 2004.

See it yourself...

http://www.lasvegasrealtor.com/stats/Statindex.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas