Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM

643 posts, read 506,689 times

Advertisements

I understand what you mean I suppose it's the same wherever you move to. After awhile you get use to it so the excitement kind of goes away. Thanks for sharing Do you have car insurance? Or health and life insurance? I know adding those things would make a difference. Depending on the vehicle and type of insurance it can be at least $200 per month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorner View Post
That's pretty much how I felt before I loved out here. I loved everything about Las Vegas - the scenery, the nightlife, and the overall relaxed feeling I would get being here. I thought that if I moved here, I could feel like that more often. I lived in California, so I'd come out here 1-2 times a year, and always loved being here. I didn't matter if it was the strip or just in the city. I planned this move out for YEARS before it happened.

This is what happened when I moved out here - I got used to it within a few months and everything that I loved about it became normal. It is NOT the same living here versus vacationing here. But I still like living here.

As others have said, you could find a one bedroom apartment for $600ish. I've seen them, and there's a reason I didn't rent from them. They're not in very nice areas. If you could handle seedy areas, then that would work for you. If you want nicer, cleaner areas - I would say you should expect to pay $800-$1000 per month for rent alone.

Here is roughly my monthly cost of living:

1. Rent for a 1-bedroom apartment (in Henderson) - $900
2. Electricity $70
3. Water, Sewage, Trash - $40
4. Internet service $50
5. Gas $2.50/gallon
6. Food for myself $150
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:10 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
What about car insurance, payments (uniess you have a paid for car), monthly cost of gas (dependent on mileage and MPG), various medical costs, cable (if you have it.) And you manage to live on $5/day for food?

Quote:
That's pretty much how I felt before I loved out here. I loved everything about Las Vegas - the scenery, the nightlife, and the overall relaxed feeling I would get being here. I thought that if I moved here, I could feel like that more often. I lived in California, so I'd come out here 1-2 times a year, and always loved being here. I didn't matter if it was the strip or just in the city. I planned this move out for YEARS before it happened.

This is what happened when I moved out here - I got used to it within a few months and everything that I loved about it became normal. It is NOT the same living here versus vacationing here. But I still like living here.

As others have said, you could find a one bedroom apartment for $600ish. I've seen them, and there's a reason I didn't rent from them. They're not in very nice areas. If you could handle seedy areas, then that would work for you. If you want nicer, cleaner areas - I would say you should expect to pay $800-$1000 per month for rent alone.

Here is roughly my monthly cost of living:

1. Rent for a 1-bedroom apartment (in Henderson) - $900
2. Electricity $70
3. Water, Sewage, Trash - $40
4. Internet service $50
5. Gas $2.50/gallon
6. Food for myself $150

Old 04-06-2017, 04:25 PM

12 posts, read 10,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
What about car insurance, payments (uniess you have a paid for car), monthly cost of gas (dependent on mileage and MPG), various medical costs, cable (if you have it.) And you manage to live on $5/day for food?
I already paid off my car, and my dad takes care of the insurance. I didn't put my monthly gas expense because it really just depends on how much I drive, which will vary from how much the OP drives. I just put how much he should expect to spend per gallon.

I'm disabled and I get Medicaid.

I pay $50/month for 50Mpbs internet, and pay $35/month for Direct TV NOW (a streaming service).

And yes, I do manage to live off of $5/day on food for myself. I'm 5'5 and weigh about 105 pounds, so I don't require much food to maintain my weight. It does take some work to make this work though. I buy food that is on sale and take advantage of coupons. I buy chicken breasts in bulk when they go on sale for ~$1.50/pound, and those side of frozen vegetables for $1.00.
When I eat out, I almost always use coupons and could eat a fast food meal for $2-3. There's always a way to eat cheap, and it doesn't always have to be unhealthy.

I'm really not the best example of how much the average person spends here, I just thought I'd give the OP some figures so that he could have an idea of how much some things cost here.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:25 PM

110 posts, read 104,526 times
Easier to make it in Vegas than CA. The pay for jobs is about the same, but housing, gas, and taxes are all lower. While many places are even cheaper than vegas, very few of them pay well. I like Boise, but the jobs pay about 1/3 to 1/2 what they do in Vegas or CA.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I already paid off my car, and my dad takes care of the insurance. I didn't put my monthly gas expense because it really just depends on how much I drive, which will vary from how much the OP drives. I just put how much he should expect to spend per gallon.

I'm disabled and I get Medicaid.

I pay $50/month for 50Mpbs internet, and pay $35/month for Direct TV NOW (a streaming service).

And yes, I do manage to live off of $5/day on food for myself. I'm 5'5 and weigh about 105 pounds, so I don't require much food to maintain my weight. It does take some work to make this work though. I buy food that is on sale and take advantage of coupons. I buy chicken breasts in bulk when they go on sale for ~$1.50/pound, and those side of frozen vegetables for $1.00.
When I eat out, I almost always use coupons and could eat a fast food meal for $2-3. There's always a way to eat cheap, and it doesn't always have to be unhealthy.

I'm really not the best example of how much the average person spends here, I just thought I'd give the OP some figures so that he could have an idea of how much some things cost here.

I'm not disabled but I do get Medicaid as well I would have to pay car insurance though. I'm not sure if it would be that expensive. Here in Michigan depending on what kind of coverage you have It's between $149 to $246 per month.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeographyNerd View Post
Easier to make it in Vegas than CA. The pay for jobs is about the same, but housing, gas, and taxes are all lower. While many places are even cheaper than vegas, very few of them pay well. I like Boise, but the jobs pay about 1/3 to 1/2 what they do in Vegas or CA.

It does seem to be a lot cheaper and I would like to move there. But I have to be sure that I'll be able to survive financially before doing so. I've decided to take up Massage Therapy instead of Dental Assisting. As I feel it is a better fit for me personally. There does seem to be a lot of job listings for Massage Therapist on indeed but I know I would probably need a roommate.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:56 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Default Meh

Well $25K a year isn't anything to gun for that's for sure, but honestly if you can't afford to live in Vegas I'm not sure where you could afford to live, some podunk town somewhere? I mean it doesn't get much cheaper. I'm not sure if people actually living in Vegas just haven't looked around much or are just giving you a tough time, but let's be honest it's CHEAP. Living in Portland, I could live about twice as large in Vegas on the same amount of money. My $600,000 house in Beaverton, not even actually Portland, would be considered a nice but unremarkable Vegas house and everyone would be shocked by the terrible lot size, no pool, no hot tub, no outdoor space whatsoever actually, and overlooking a fairly busy 40 mph road. That's what $600K gets you in this area. In Vegas I'd be lounging by a pool in a mini-mansion paying 1/3 of the property taxes, no state income taxes, and my solar panels would actually cover about 100% of my electric bill compared to 37% presently. I'd probably just go off grid entirely and put battery backups into the house for night.

Before Portland I lived in Los Angeles for a bit and I could barely live even a decent lifestyle on $5,500/month. And I don't mean that's what I made, I mean that's what it cost to live. It was enough to have a 900 square foot condo I could call my own, I ate at Subway, maybe a few times per month I would go out to a bar or club with friends, get one or two drinks because at those prices it's not like you can afford more than that. My condo mortgage plus HOA dues plus property taxes plus home owner's insurance already pushed over $3,000. The other $2,200 or so went pretty fast to gas, car insurance, food, cable Internet, cell phone, electric bill, any clothing costs, etc. I could afford it, but it wasn't what I would call a great life. I didn't go to concerts, sports events, travel exotically, or buy luxury items, or whatever else.

Just the fact you can live well in a city like Vegas on $4,000/month means it's pretty inexpensive.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 PM

621 posts, read 538,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Well $25K a year isn't anything to gun for that's for sure, but honestly if you can't afford to live in Vegas I'm not sure where you could afford to live, some podunk town somewhere? I mean it doesn't get much cheaper. I'm not sure if people actually living in Vegas just haven't looked around much or are just giving you a tough time, but let's be honest it's CHEAP. Living in Portland, I could live about twice as large in Vegas on the same amount of money. My $600,000 house in Beaverton, not even actually Portland, would be considered a nice but unremarkable Vegas house and everyone would be shocked by the terrible lot size, no pool, no hot tub, no outdoor space whatsoever actually, and overlooking a fairly busy 40 mph road. That's what $600K gets you in this area. In Vegas I'd be lounging by a pool in a mini-mansion paying 1/3 of the property taxes, no state income taxes, and my solar panels would actually cover about 100% of my electric bill compared to 37% presently. I'd probably just go off grid entirely and put battery backups into the house for night.

Before Portland I lived in Los Angeles for a bit and I could barely live even a decent lifestyle on $5,500/month. And I don't mean that's what I made, I mean that's what it cost to live. It was enough to have a 900 square foot condo I could call my own, I ate at Subway, maybe a few times per month I would go out to a bar or club with friends, get one or two drinks because at those prices it's not like you can afford more than that. My condo mortgage plus HOA dues plus property taxes plus home owner's insurance already pushed over $3,000. The other $2,200 or so went pretty fast to gas, car insurance, food, cable Internet, cell phone, electric bill, any clothing costs, etc. I could afford it, but it wasn't what I would call a great life. I didn't go to concerts, sports events, travel exotically, or buy luxury items, or whatever else.

Just the fact you can live well in a city like Vegas on $4,000/month means it's pretty inexpensive.
Most anywhere is cheaper to live than Portland and Los Angeles. That doesn't make Las Vegas cheap. Virtually anywhere in the southeast would be cheaper.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Actually the cost of living in Las Vegas has been roughly the US average for years. It is US par and SW off the coast par. There are substantially less costly places but generally in less desirable locations.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:28 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Obviously if you include every rural little place, then every city is "very expensive" compared to that. I don't know anyone who would call your real estate prices anything but cheap, though. Yeah you can get a house for $90,000 in rural Oklahoma, alright, that's true. But you can get a nice house in Vegas for $250,000. That is CHEAP. You couldn't even get a decent townhouse here for that lol.

Basically every single person in any city in the West Coast would consider Vegas a really cheap place to live, especially because of the low property taxes and non-existent income taxes. The sales tax is comparable to CA, so they're used to that anyway, and it's less than WA, so again, they're used to that. We have none in OR, so maybe that's "a shock" to some people but I'd take no income taxes any day. Sales taxes simply don't add up that much. Even if I spent $30,000 on taxable items at 10%, it's $3,000 per year in taxes. That's nothing compared to 10% income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: