Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 04:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times

Advertisements

My favorite was showing a home a block off Camino al Norte. We were in the back yard when a pair of A10s went off at no more thqn 500 feet. Have no idea what they were doing there. And I have not seen anything like that in 21 years here.

We do get some noise from the military particularly when they are doing the war games. Only time we get any real noise it is a long approach into NLV airport. But those are raw and we are not on the actual approach heading.

Once saw an A10 flying in formation with a couple of F16 - Weird looking. That was out north on 95 a ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I didn't realize at first that I started this thread in Feb. 2017. LOL. We've been in our place west of the 515 and south of Horizon for almost 6 months now and I rarely hear or see any airplane traffic. Other than a little freeway noise during rush hour it's really pretty quiet down here.
I live near you. I enjoy watching the line up on the E-W approach to McCarran at night from my rooftop deck. Rarely hear aircraft. I am a block South of 215 and can barely hear that traffic. However, the modified exhausts on the little Fast and Furious cars on the surface streets are very loud, albeit infrequent.

Before we contracted on our townhome in 2015, I gathered tons of information off the LV forum (a multi-year lurking experiment ) including how to find the official McCarran noise maps and made sure we were well out of way.

I used to live 0.5 miles off IH-10 in TX and the highway noise was far worse than anything we experience at our current home.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:51 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Thanks to all that helped me make up my mind with regard to a move out West. Wife and I are getting on in years , we own a 65acre mountainside homestead, in Western NC, as time marches on, the workload has been more and more challenging, she has been pushing me to sell and relocate to Henderson where her siblings live, they talk regularly, have mentioned how hot the Summers are, but never mentioned air traffic noise, one lives on Angel Falls Dr., he wears hearing aids, no wonder it's not an issue.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
Thanks to all that helped me make up my mind with regard to a move out West. Wife and I are getting on in years , we own a 65acre mountainside homestead, in Western NC, as time marches on, the workload has been more and more challenging, she has been pushing me to sell and relocate to Henderson where her siblings live, they talk regularly, have mentioned how hot the Summers are, but never mentioned air traffic noise, one lives on Angel Falls Dr., he wears hearing aids, no wonder it's not an issue.
The noise zones from the airports are actually obvious. These are not cities with complex approaches. Mostly straight in under normal conditions.

Had a bid deal when the west bound departures from McCarran made a right turn over Summerlin after the standard west departure. Has since vanished. The planes are high enough by Summerlin the noise is not an issue.

There are some places around Nellis where the military can be a problem. But they are all pretty much close in and there are lots of other reasons for not living there.

We live in the NW and can hear the military particularly when they are in war games mode. But it is not remotely serious...they are too high to be a big problem and there are not a lot of them.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 3,749 times
You speak of what you know nothing about. I don’t really care what your job is because I did my research like thousands of others. Then McCarran changes flight paths. Henderson Executive airport is on the edge of the dessert and could just as easily fly over the dessert as over residential neighborhoods but chooses the latter because it’s more convenient. McCarran now swarms the airspace over the entire city instead of flying a path in and out of the city over the dessert. Make all th excuses you want but we all know it’s simply because of corporate greed and not so smart desicions that are already causing a drop in home values and marketability because of air traffic noise. You know it too or you wouldn’t have gotten so defensive over an honest answer to a genuine question from someone trying to avoid the plague known as McCarran.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTinNV View Post
You speak of what you know nothing about. I don’t really care what your job is because I did my research like thousands of others. Then McCarran changes flight paths. Henderson Executive airport is on the edge of the dessert and could just as easily fly over the dessert as over residential neighborhoods but chooses the latter because it’s more convenient. McCarran now swarms the airspace over the entire city instead of flying a path in and out of the city over the dessert. Make all th excuses you want but we all know it’s simply because of corporate greed and not so smart desicions that are already causing a drop in home values and marketability because of air traffic noise. You know it too or you wouldn’t have gotten so defensive over an honest answer to a genuine question from someone trying to avoid the plague known as McCarran.
You are of course welcome to your own opinion. But factually the only real control locals have over airplane routing is to locate or relocate the airport. The rest is run by the FAA where noise is only one of many factors.

Aircraft noise is seldom an issue in Las Vegas. A few areas at the ends of the various runways but that is about it. Anywhere in the valley could have a singular incident but mostly not.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:31 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
McCarran now swarms the airspace over the entire city instead of flying a path in and out of the city over the dessert (sic).

Look at McCarran on a map and identify this desert. Enterprise, Seven Hills, Henderson?

Old 01-04-2019, 08:42 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Since McCarran is soon to be at capacity anyways, the county ought to be looking at starting Ivanpah and maybe building a new passenger terminal away from the populated area somewhere like out by the solar farm, or down 15 towards Primm somewhere closer in than Ivanpah.

I think McCarran has had it's day in the sun and ought to be redeveloped into something else more suitable to it's location like parking for the new stadium(s) and a ground transportation hub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: