Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:12 PM

53 posts, read 73,395 times

Advertisements

That is the city limits of Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 04:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectras View Post
I know this is old topic, but I have one question regarding North West LV:

does anybody know why NW area is grayed out in all maps (i.e. example map below)?
Is there something..? I know it is underdeveloped area, why that?

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/N...Vegas/Overview
It is not in Las Vegas. It is unincorporated Clark County. It has a Las Vegas mailing address as does much though not all of unincorporated Clark County. In general the original intent was that the whole area would be in the City of Las Vegas...but the locals objected and successfully blocked the city from annexing the area. In fact fire protection in the area and the sewers are provided by the city.. It is an ongoing situations with numerous border skirmishes. For instance the City managed to annex a big set of properties in the area owned by the BLM. A recent attempt to annex a large set of properties failed when the property owners voted it down. The city of LV considers it a fairness issue and is motivated by a large number of expensive properties...more tax revenue. The locals resist because the general view is that the taxes are higher and the city is much more difficult to deal with then the county.

Old 03-21-2018, 04:49 PM

96 posts, read 80,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is not in Las Vegas. It is unincorporated Clark County. It has a Las Vegas mailing address as does much though not all of unincorporated Clark County. In general the original intent was that the whole area would be in the City of Las Vegas...but the locals objected and successfully blocked the city from annexing the area. In fact fire protection in the area and the sewers are provided by the city.. It is an ongoing situations with numerous border skirmishes. For instance the City managed to annex a big set of properties in the area owned by the BLM. A recent attempt to annex a large set of properties failed when the property owners voted it down. The city of LV considers it a fairness issue and is motivated by a large number of expensive properties...more tax revenue. The locals resist because the general view is that the taxes are higher and the city is much more difficult to deal with then the county.
I see... that explains why it is not developed..
thank you so much for clarification!

Old 03-21-2018, 05:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectras View Post
I see... that explains why it is not developed..
thank you so much for clarification!
Actually it is pretty well developed but it is heavily balkanized (split into smaller parcels) and zoned for half acre minimum parcels in an RNP (Rural Neighborhood Preserve) which means no curbs, sidewalks or streetlights and no development other than low density residential.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam500 View Post
Isn't this area a few degrees cooler than downtown and Henderson area?

House pipes freezing sometimes in the winter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
That is the higher elevations in Summerlin.
True. We are a little over 3000 feet in elevation and it's always cooler here by a degree or two. Sometimes more depending on weather.

I made an insulated cover for our irrigation system out of left over 1" Styrofoam sheeting and duct tape. Cost about $1.00. I had left over insulation material so I was cheating a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas