Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,689 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking at homes in the Vegas area. I had heard that it was ideal to purchase a home that was built after 2005, as homes built before then tended to be less energy efficient and often had insulation issues.

That was the plan, but one of the areas of town I'm looking at doesn't really have "newer" homes. Am I being overly concerned about buying a newer home? My current apartment complex was built in 1999 and I don't seem to have any problems, but I don't know if it would be different in a single family home.

I'd hate to get a good deal on a home and then have to spend a fortune in the summer keeping it cool or warm in winter.

Anyone go through a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:54 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextguy View Post
I'm currently looking at homes in the Vegas area. I had heard that it was ideal to purchase a home that was built after 2005, as homes built before then tended to be less energy efficient and often had insulation issues.

That was the plan, but one of the areas of town I'm looking at doesn't really have "newer" homes. Am I being overly concerned about buying a newer home? My current apartment complex was built in 1999 and I don't seem to have any problems, but I don't know if it would be different in a single family home.

I'd hate to get a good deal on a home and then have to spend a fortune in the summer keeping it cool or warm in winter.

Anyone go through a similar experience?
Varies widely. A containable risk with reasonable care. Our 3,000 SF home was built in the mid 1980s and is not energy efficient. Our big drawback is 25 year old AC units which likely double our energy bill in the high summer. So we peak at around $450 of which $250 is AC. This is an all electric house lacking gas so all heat related utilities are relatively expensive. We have good windows and reasonable insulation in the attic. When we finally change out the AC units we may revise the duct work heavily which will have significant impact. The other technique is a reflective barrier up near the roof. All done you can cut the AC by about 2/3.

Any given house may have some of this done. Our AC units for instance are ancient...virtually all similar units will have been replaced. And we see many homes with extensive revision to the duct work and attic which makes things much better.

The homes after 2005 are better but you can probably get most of the same effect in any home without spending huge sums. AC units are expensive but that is luck of the draw. Mid 2000 homes may well be reaching the end of their AC unit lives...so you take that into consideration. And all homes with older AC should have a home warranty which provides AC coverage.

Most home inspectors can give you a reasonable feel for this and Nevada Energy will give you the last years billings. Give you a good view if the house was occupied.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:44 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Mid '80's is considered ancient out there. I find that funny I grew up in a 1952 era house in metro NYC, which I sold a few years ago. And it wouldn't be too hard to find pre-wars.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Mid '80's is considered ancient out there. I find that funny I grew up in a 1952 era house in metro NYC, which I sold a few years ago. And it wouldn't be too hard to find pre-wars.
Mid 80s are not bad. Often retrofit-able to more modern taste. The big problem is ceiling height...as you hit the 70s the ceiling height drops to 8 feet. And the 40s and 50s homes can be worse. Virtually everything before 70 is masonry. Nowadays lots of them fake it with siding. Ours is pretty good though we did not remove the dropped ceiling in the kitchen. May do that one of these days. Similar house next door did it and very effective.

70s houses often have margin insulation in the walls and single pane windows. They really were not built with AC in mind...or a swamp cooler is anything. Again though many have been retrofitted, Even had a friend who picked up the MIL old home near the Scotch 80s...gorgeous but early 70s. Actually popped the roof a couple of feet and added a 1500SF addition to a house that was already 3500.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:51 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

My house in PA was built in 1880. The guy we bought it off installed new siding and insulation in it along with double sealed/insulated windows. It kept temps really well, better than the mid 90s house I am in now.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,907,759 times
Our house was built in 2004, 1928 sq ft. Heat and stove are gas. Summer electric bill about $150, winter about $50 a month

Old 03-15-2017, 07:09 PM

You can get into that in a big way. Had a friend when I was relatively young in Rochester NY. The old section of his house was buit in the late 17th century. Had doors that required my 6'2" frame to duck.

Use to frequent a place in Welyn Hall north of London called the New Pub. The Old Pub burned down in the early 1400s. The New Pub was built in 1450 or so. Had to duck to walk across the bar room to the bar. Well less than 6 foot beams.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:53 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
My house was built in 1998, R19 insulation in the ceiling, contractor who recently did some work said that it is well built.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Myself, I wouldn't buy any home built later than 1975!

My home: 1971, outside stucco so thick you need a concrete drill to hang anything on the walls! Well, well built!

If I could afford it, I'd move to Huntridge or Paradise Palms!

Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,099 times
I love paradise palms I like the older houses myself.

I like the look of them and can only dream of living somewhere like the Scotch 80's

You can pretty much always find ways to be more energy efficient timer on your water heater, mister on the AC unit it's all a matter of how far you want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas