Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 08:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times

Advertisements

THere may be a place for graffiti downtown, but no, I don't want to see that crap all over Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I picked up a couple books, in L.A., last week, fully illustrated, of the graffiti/street art murals around the world, with the most spectacular being in Europe, and given this is the Walled City, with hundreds of miles of walls through the Las Vegas Valley, I got to thinking, take some of that $30 million we spend painting over graffiti, and spend the money having graffiti artists create murals throughout the Valley.

Afterall, we have no full-fledged museum in this city, so why not bring the art work out to all our neighborhoods, rather than restricting it to the Arts District?

What do you think? Some cities even have graffiti mural tours of their cities, and with all our walls, who could possible compete with us, as in many cities, they have no walls to paint on.
That's how this started: https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...h=478&dpr=1.25

Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
^^^^

Clicking on that upload, as you can see, very little of it I would classify as crap! A great way to add some color to our Beige Neighborhoods and walls.

But as someone uploaded, last year, most conservative cities 250,000 and over, recall where Sinless City was on that list! A notch more conservative than Phoenix, which I will not argue!

Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 PM

245 posts, read 168,981 times
I think there is a difference between wall art and graffiti. Wall art, the kind you see around downtown is some of the most beautiful in the world. The gang tagging graffiti is crap that we should spend $30M/year to remove.

So if you mean the first, then I think it should be confined to the downtown. It does really well there. I don't think it's a good fit with the Strip.

So in other words, I think the status quo is great.

P.S. Maybe we should have wall art tours in downtown and Arts District for the tourists.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Not sure that wall art/graffiti does anything positive in areas that aren't either highly urban or industrial. In most areas of suburban population density it just either looks out of place or worse.

Having lived in BIG cities most of my life I do have an appreciation of the stuff in the right application. NYC had some spectacular subway cars for example.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM

496 posts, read 365,832 times
Quote:
^^^^

Clicking on that upload, as you can see, very little of it I would classify as crap! A great way to add some color to our Beige Neighborhoods and walls.

But as someone uploaded, last year, most conservative cities 250,000 and over, recall where Sinless City was on that list! A notch more conservative than Phoenix, which I will not argue!
I'm not an art critic, but it looks like crap to me too. If I want to look at my Fillmore posters I'll pull them out, but I don't want to be forced to look at this.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Given this city is so addicted to walls and the color beige, how about graffiti murals just using Las Vegans favorite conservative earth colors in the murals? Then, no complaints?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Given this city is so addicted to walls and the color beige, how about graffiti murals just using Las Vegans favorite conservative earth colors in the murals? Then, no complaints?
Yes conservative murals would be excellent. How about some nice portraits of patriotic Americans, President Trump, and his administration would be a good start painted by real artists.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
THere may be a place for graffiti downtown, but no, I don't want to see that crap all over Las Vegas.
Yes, Little Tia Wanna would be a good place for this.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
Yes conservative murals would be excellent. How about some nice portraits of patriotic Americans, President Trump, and his administration would be a good start painted by real artists.
Yes, Yes, Yes!!! Paint them on some of our endless walls in the Valley, and then let the Graffiti artists add the finishing touches, poco a poco!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: