Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:18 PM

848 posts, read 648,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Disagree. Our family used the NYC selective schools for a couple of generations. My mother in fact was President of the PTA at Bronx High School of Science when my sister went there. The general view there was you could not make Ivy League unless in the top 20 and you would be better off going to a regular high school where you could be valedictorian rather than Bronx. Now understand these are kids with 750 plus SAT scores. So 780 SAT, Valedictorian and some other community service was considered far more likely to hit the Ivys than 75th at Bronx. Not that such a thing would get you into all the Ivys...but one or two.

And Asian and Jewish kids with 4.0s and 780s were routinely rejected by the Ivys.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I am an Ivy League grad, and what you have related above was not my experience when I was in college and what I hear now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. I am an Ivy League grad, and what you have related above was not my experience when I was in college and what I hear now.
Was involved in a discussion a couple of years ago about the kids in the current generation. Same story...and one of those involved was the retired head mistress of a feeder school to Columbia. All her kids went to Columbia on a faculty free ride. Her great grandkids were part of the subjects.

The consensus still was that the Ivy bias against the elite public schools was same as ever and the bias against orientals still active. I believe that bias has been well identified elsewhere. Some of the kids are half Korean and have a Korean surname.

I would note there are a number of studies have substantiated this bias and suits have been filed.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:35 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
I disagree that being a valedictorian at any school ensures your children can go anywhere they want. For example, Ivy League schools do pay attention to the schools your children attend, and not being the valedictorian at a prestigious school likely will not have a significant impact on admission provided your children did fairly well academically and took challenging courses. I think a more appropriate statement would be that if your kids get excellent scores on the SAT or ACT, they likely will be able to go anywhere they want.
There are too many high schools in the US and the world (international students) for the admission officer to know all. Besides some very well known schools, some goods schools in the suburb of Dallas or Detroit will not gonna give them ooh ah.

Last edited by Nn2036; 05-15-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:

I went to a non-Ivy but prestigious school and I have been working with admission officer as well as interviewing students as an alum. The school name won't hurt you but it doesn't impress us ( unless it is Phillips Exeter, etc..) . We are actually more impressed with excellent students coming from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:55 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Believe only half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear.
Daddy?! My old man used to tell me this all the time

I know some very successful Las Vegas public school educated kids. it isn't so much the schools as the parenting.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:04 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgoodies View Post
The best private high school in Nevada - The Meadows School - had not had a single student go to MIT or CalTech in the past 6 graduating classes. Coming from a highly educated background, this is not acceptable. I think we are moving before school age...
I understand your concern and it is valid. At the same time the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Our daughter went to a private school in Silicon Valley where 12% of its graduating class that year matriculated as freshman at MIT. One senior, accepted to Harvard, received a job offer from Facebook (where he worked as an intern) to skip college & instead just go to work full time. The offer was $125K for an 18 year old kid. He took the offer; now he makes nearly $300K as a 25 year old and his pre-IPO stock is worth a bundle. He's exceptional, of course, in every sense of the word. Stanford was the back-up school for many of my daughter's high school peers who set their sights on Ivys (my own kid chose an Ivy).

Please note that in Silicon Valley, it is called the HYPS syndrome: if a high school student isn't accepted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Stanford, it is almost an insult against their ancestors and a cause of shame for the parents.

While some of it is the school, most all of it is a combination of coming from the deep end of the gene pool, the family's values, and the local environment.

For most children, their most important role models are their own mothers & fathers, and the mothers and fathers of their close friends and relatives. In Silicon Valley, it is very common for both mom & dad to have PhDs in a technical discipline. When I asked my daughters friends and peers "what do you want to do when you grow up?" the answers I received were expected: "I want to be an engineer." "I want to be a scientist."

When my daughter matriculated as a freshman at Columbia, I recall taking the suite of students to dinner when I visited. These young women -- very bright, articulate, and polished -- mostly came from very affluent/wealthy families where dad worked on Wall Street (or a Connecticut-based hedge fund or private equity fund). When I asked them in an age-appropriate way "what do you want to do when you grow up?" the responses were amazing.

"Do? What do I want to do? Eventually, I'll get married to an investment banker, and we'll have 2 children, and I'll volunteer on the boards of a few charities."

These bright young women's role models were their own mothers and the mothers of their friends, and those adult mothers were married to investment bankers and sat on the boards of charities and took Pilates classes and tennis lessons.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

"Do? What do I want to do? Eventually, I'll get married to an investment banker, and we'll have 2 children, and I'll volunteer on the boards of a few charities."

These bright young women's role models were their own mothers and the mothers of their friends, and those adult mothers were married to investment bankers and sat on the boards of charities and took Pilates classes and tennis lessons.
What is so amazing about that answer? Married a banker, took Pilates classes, etc.

That is an answer of privileged girl that wants an easy life. I wouldnt want my daughter to think that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: