Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 PM

29 posts, read 167,419 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I've been reading the posts on the Las Vegas forum for a couple of months in anticipation of a possible move. Now that the move has been finalized (well, as final as you can be with the military, that is...), we're starting to formulate a plan for house hunting.

I've been trying to decide which parts of town will make sense for us in terms of a doable commute to/from Nellis AFB. When I do a search on google - it tells me approximately 30 minutes from each location. That can't be right! Can anyone give me some estimates of the drive times from these communities for morning and late afternoon commutes?

Aliante
Centennial
Silverstone Golf Club
Silverado Hills
Summerlin
Henderson
Southern Highlands

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,877,945 times
aliante and centennial both are close to 215 so it is quicker..
summerlin, you need to take 95 (i think) to 215
the others i am unsure..

where will you be living?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 PM

697 posts, read 3,271,982 times
Nellis can be a chore to get to if you do not live nearby. I went up there to the commissary once when we first moved here and will never do that again. I drove from Henderson and it was over an hour to get there. I now work in North Las Vegas and live in Henderson and it is still 45 minutes to an hour each way.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:08 PM

Yikes! 45 minutes to an hour from Henderson?? I guess we can mark that community off of our list. Southern Highlands as well?

I'm guessing Summerlin may also get knocked off, depending on actual drive times from the north/northwest communities of Aliante and Centennial. Does anyone have stats for these two places? Is a commute of under 30 minutes even possible (assuming the areas I'm looking at)?

Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM

697 posts, read 3,271,982 times
Centennial would maybe 30 min on a good day. the worst part of Nellis is that it is in a corner of the city and not the greatest area as far as schools and crime. Go north of 215 up near Aliante and there are alot of new developments going in that look nice. I work for NLVPD and I can tell you first hand that those would be the easiest commutes for work, but not for shopping and amenities. Whatever you do, do not live somewhere where you would be forced to experience I-15. That would be a nightmare. Some of the neighborhoods north of Craig road are nice too. We really don't get much business in there.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:18 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,200,634 times
Aliante and El Dorado are the closest good commutes to Nellis. We have a lot of airmen and women out here in Aliante, and in El Dorado which is right next door.

Last edited by PinkString; 03-10-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: added more

Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Thanks for all the info! I'm guessing that Summerlin would be in the "45 minutes on a good day" commute? What route would be best from there?

We're going to be in town in early June to house hunt, and I just want to be prepared so we don't waste our time (or a realtor's) looking at houses in areas that are unrealistic.

We've visited Las Vegas MANY times over the years, and we usually end up staying out in the Summerlin area - rarely venturing down to the strip. I like that area just because it's the most familiar to us, and we know our way around. But we're open to other areas as well - I suppose we just need to get there and do some looking around.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,066,910 times
You basically have few choices if you want to do the half hour commute.

Stay north and west. El Dorado is the closest community that is in the very nice class and has a short commute. Be cautious on the schools though some are pretty good. There are some other very nice neighborhood off Craig and further west that also work pretty well. Along Craig you can go all the way to the 95 and do the half hour.

Next you can come down the 215. The run from the 215 to Nellis is 10 to 12 minutes however you do it. But 15 minutes on the 215 will take you all the way to Centennial Hills. But you have to be convenient to the 215. Aliante and the City of Las Vegas section on both sides of 215 all the way to Buffalo will work OK. But you need to stay near a 215 interchange. You can easily get more than 10 minutes from the 215...and the time will not work.

The military is very heavy in El Dorado, along Craig and in Aliante and the surround. There is also a new area east of Pecos and north of Ann that is nice though check out the schools carefully.

You really can't make it regularly from Summerlin or Henderson. The SW is worse than either of those. You can do OK in the NW as long as you stay reasonably near 215. You may even be able to go a little further north from 215 by using 95 perhaps to Durango or so. You may well be able to go out 215 to as far as Hualapai.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Thanks Olecapt - this is exactly the info I was looking for. You mention not being able to do it from Summerlin. What's the drive time from, say, Summerlin pkwy and Rampart going up 95 to catch the 215?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,066,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkd View Post
Thanks Olecapt - this is exactly the info I was looking for. You mention not being able to do it from Summerlin. What's the drive time from, say, Summerlin pkwy and Rampart going up 95 to catch the 215?
Around 11 minutes. Maybe a little more. Probably a little quicker to do Rampart north becomes Durango to 215.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas