Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,639 times

Advertisements

You bring up a valid concern, but I honestly don't see the school structured in that matter. I think the first thing we need to find out by contacting the school is how and at what grade level the Spanish curriculum is portrayed. I did notice a Spanish teacher, grade 5-12, but not one for lower grade levels. I don't think they are assuming students that register to have a bi-lingual background. This is just a guess, but maybe they gradually introduce the 2nd language as with any subject. Have you had an opportunity to talk to the administration about curriculum for your Kindergartner?

About the 'friend of the friend'? She is from Hispanic heritage, but doesn't come from a spanish speaking home. I'm still trying to find out why she "loves it". That's they whole craziness of this. I can't get enough word of mouth info and I think it may be for one of two reasons. The school is only in its second year, and public school alternatives are out of the norm. You have to really search to get this information.

I've got two CCSD parent group meetings this week and will be asking my question that I've been asking for the last 5 days now, "Do you know anything about Innovations International Charter School of Nevada?" I'm hoping to get more feedback. I am planning to call for a tour of the school next week with a few more questions. They have been very open to answering any questions or concerns. The one thing they did mention was that their parent involvment wasn't as strong as they like. I can see here two parents that are pretty involved already

I've heard good things about the Muzzy program. My kids are on track break for two weeks and may be something fun to check out at the library. Good idea at any rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 49,493 times
Oh, I'm glad you're going on a tour. I would love to, but am a stay at home mom with three children under five with no babysitter in place. I learned my lesson from trying to take them with me on the tours of the private schools! Good luck with that and with the CCSD meetings. I didn't even know about those. I'm very impressed with your research skills, and am glad to have met you!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
Default Innovations intl charter school

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMom View Post
Two good opinions. Thanks for the input.
I will be visiting the school on friday. My son is 5 and will be starting kindergarden this coming school year. Still searching for a school. I have read the negative comments as well. And will ask questions and observe the children and staff.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 PM

10 posts, read 49,493 times
Please let me know your impressions after your tour. I have had others relay their positive impressions after touring the school, and so now feel more confident.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
I am looking for a Charter school for my son who is currently in a school that 95% Hispanic. This does not work out well for him because he is multiracial and looks Asian. He gets picked on everyday. I was looking into Innovations as well but I am hesitant because of his experiences at his current school. I can't find anything but negative feedback either, and there doesn't seem to be many options. We moved here from Torrance, California where the schools aren't even half as bad as what I have seen here in Vegas. I just feel so discouraged.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:47 AM

40 posts, read 69,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeko16 View Post
I am looking for a Charter school for my son who is currently in a school that 95% Hispanic. This does not work out well for him because he is multiracial and looks Asian. He gets picked on everyday. I was looking into Innovations as well but I am hesitant because of his experiences at his current school. I can't find anything but negative feedback either, and there doesn't seem to be many options. We moved here from Torrance, California where the schools aren't even half as bad as what I have seen here in Vegas. I just feel so discouraged.
We have three kids at Innovations. We moved here from Nebraska last summer. The kids were in a catholic school there. As you can imagine, moving from NE to Las Vegas is a huge change. Two of our kids are in the Mohave High zone. We heard nothing but bad things about it so we searched for an alternative. We found Innovations. I'd say that for all your choices in Las Vegas, this school is pretty good. Little violence, kids seem to be learning and the staff is pretty good with them. I'd say that he probably wouldn't get picked on here. The school is somewhat diverse. I have three kids half Irish and half Hispanic. The youngest has reddish brown hair, light complexion and freckles. He has no problems fitting in. I think you'd be fine at Innovations.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,179 times
I do not recommend IICSN especially for Elementary School Children. I should know because my child attended there and we pulled my child out of there because i couldn't bare to see my child in that school any longer.They are over crowded, the classrooms are really small and they have no control of the children. Also, i think they have a sewage problem because the kindergarten and first grade classes had a really bad sewer odor. Also, DO NOT get fooled into believing that the great programs that they have and offer are a part of the curriculum because they are not. If you want the martial arts, skateboarding ect. they are held after school and they start almost two hours after school and are one -two hours long. They are free tho but the little kids are already going to school for almost 8hrs plus they want them to take extra classes after school for another two extra hours is crazy. We thought that the martial and skateboarding classes were gonna be during school, like kids take art, music and library time. Also, the teacher drops off the kids at the cafeteria door and they are on their own. there are monitors there but they do not do anything because later i found out that my kid wasnt eating the whole lunch or drinking the milk because he could find someone and ask for help for them to help open some of the stuff. That really broke my heart, especially the kindergarteners because its all new to them and they get no help. The staff is horrible and the monitors are ok and the teachers seem overly stressed. This school is not what i expected AT ALL!!!! I say take a tour of the school and make sure you meet the teacher before hand too. Oh and the website for the school is not updated either so dont be fooled by what is says call and ask questions and you will see. Also, look for their facebook page on facebook, this one was made by the high school student of iicsn. Nothing nice to read on there its crazy. http://www.facebook.com/groups/128275107266003/

Last edited by lasvegasreviewer; 09-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: added source

Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,995,639 times
if THATS the way you teach your kiddies to write, I want no part of y our schoolscam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas