U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 12:16 PM

244 posts, read 321,889 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain me process of buying a used car from California from dealership.
I found some older posts here from 2013 but I wonder if anything changed since then.

If anyone here recently went trough this process please explain me if there is something I need to know. (other then what is on dmv site)

We want to buy certified vehicle, 2 yr old
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 12:19 PM

I understand I can choose to pay California tax or here in Nevada . If I pay it in Ca will it cost much more?

Old 07-30-2017, 03:50 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,725,059 times
If you buy a car in California, you have the choice of paying the Calif sales tax or getting a transfer permit that will allow you to take it to Nevada without paying the tax there. If you choose to pay the Calif. tax, then when you go to dmv, they will figure what the tax would be here and only charge you the difference if it is more. If the tax is more in California, I don't know if there is a procedure to get a refund from California. You would need to compare the tax rates at the dealership in Calif. (depends on if there is a county or city sales tax in Calif) against the tax rates here. The license fee would only be paid here, which includes the personal property tax, would only be paid here. I believe that is the current situation.

Also, you will need to have the car inspected at the dmv if used and purchased outside the state.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
If you buy a car in California, you have the choice of paying the Calif sales tax or getting a transfer permit that will allow you to take it to Nevada without paying the tax there..
thanx for response !!

When you say "getting a transfer permit " that means I need to truck the car to NV , right?

Old 07-30-2017, 07:25 PM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
thanx for response !!

When you say "getting a transfer permit " that means I need to truck the car to NV , right?
No you can drive it.

IF it is going to be an NV car get a transfer permit and do it all in NV. Regardless of the dollars, which will end up similar, you will be better off. Virtually all the CA dealers on the east side of LA know exactly how to do it.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:59 PM

42 posts, read 106,204 times
This is my 2013 post but I believe is still accurate. Bought 2 new cars in So. Calif. 2012 and 2014 and both were very easy transactions. Pretty sure the process is the same for new and used. I also called the NV DMV prior to the the purchase(s) to confirm correct process.

I live in Henderson and bought a new car in California earlier this year. The CA dealer will write you a one way pass for $23 that permits you to drive the car to Nevada and if you were stopped you would show the pass to law enforcement. The one way pass is meant to permit you to drive from the selling dealer directly to the Nevada DMV and register the car. The DMV was closed by the time I got back, so I went and registered it the next day. At the DMV they checked the paperwork and I paid Nevada sales tax and registration only (no payment in CA except for the $23). I had some registration time credit left on my previous NV car that I sold so that amount was deducted from the total NV registration. The NV DMV gave me my NV plates and I was all done. Pretty easy actually.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:14 PM

283 posts, read 411,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
I understand I can choose to pay California tax or here in Nevada . If I pay it in Ca will it cost much more?
Let us know how the process goes for you. I've been wondering about this myself. Also, try not to get hosed on the amount they want to charge you for doc fees. I can't believe some dealers charge over $500 for doc fees. Some states have limits on the "doc fees" they can charge but not always followed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richzx14 View Post
This is my 2013 post but I believe is still accurate. Bought 2 new cars in So. Calif. 2012 and 2014 and both were very easy transactions. Pretty sure the process is the same for new and used. I also called the NV DMV prior to the the purchase(s) to confirm correct process.

I live in Henderson and bought a new car in California earlier this year. The CA dealer will write you a one way pass for $23 that permits you to drive the car to Nevada and if you were stopped you would show the pass to law enforcement. The one way pass is meant to permit you to drive from the selling dealer directly to the Nevada DMV and register the car. The DMV was closed by the time I got back, so I went and registered it the next day. At the DMV they checked the paperwork and I paid Nevada sales tax and registration only (no payment in CA except for the $23). I had some registration time credit left on my previous NV car that I sold so that amount was deducted from the total NV registration. The NV DMV gave me my NV plates and I was all done. Pretty easy actually.

Richzx14: Did you have to pay any doc fees besides the $23?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 PM

I copy the contract details to my computer for every vehicle purchase over the years.

Here is a copy/paste from my California contract details re: dealer fees.

California Tire Fee - $8.75
Electronic Vehicle Reg. - $29
Document Fee - $80 - Limited to this amount by CA law at this time (7/2014). I agree NV charges $499 to $799. Pure dealer add-on - profit and I believe the NV dealers are in collusion on this fee as many states are.
Tax on Doc fee - $7.20

Buying in California provides access to a significant number of more dealers due to the much larger population base vs. southern NV. For example - there are I think there are 4 ford dealers here and at least 50-60 in So. California which provides for more pricing competitiveness.

Dealer polices may vary as to whether to pay sales tax in CA first and then reconcile the amounts when you register in NV. I suggest contacting the final dealers you narrow down the selection process to and ask their policy.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:04 PM

BTW: The first CA 2012 purchase was for myself and my neighbor (We both both same vehicle) and we each saved the NV dealer doc fee of $599 (minus CA $80 fee) - so we each saved $519. The 2014 purchase, I bought a cheap 1-way ticket to LAX and the fleet manager picked me up at LAX and we did the deal at the dealership close to LAX and I drove it home. Plus a larger discount than I could have got in So. NV.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,262,611 times
any NV residents have experience with getting lease deals in CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or