U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:07 PM

3,671 posts, read 7,979,572 times

Advertisements

Most of the flat antennas are only good for UHF and have poor gain on VHF. The link below recommends the Mohu Leaf Glide for those who live in areas where stations broadcast on hi-VHF.

https://www.groundedreason.com/watch...antenna-guide/

Some elevation (thumbtacked high up on walk-in closet wall on second floor) and testing in several orientations enabled a crappy flat antenna to pick up all the OTA stations for me. Location is The Lakes. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 02:58 AM

1,542 posts, read 848,256 times
I thought you all were talking satellite OTA, which I used to do with a 200 dollar system from Dynasat Support. Blomberg and Breaking News, Singapore News, World and Asia - Channel NewsAsia are 100% free...check out Dawn Fan...looking good for 51. On the internet.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 PM

243 posts, read 135,347 times
To get the best reception pretty much anywhere in the valley, you have to have a rooftop antenna, I have an RCA branded (RCA is a brand and no longer a company) Yagi antenna, about $50.00 for the raw antenna which itself is maybe 30 inches in length and maybe 12 inches at the widest part. It is a aimed from my home in Summerlin south directly to Black Mountain and have a beautiful signal on all the channels except for the very high UHF channels which are worthless with regards to programming. The antenna is mounted to the eaves using the same type of "Direct TV" dish arm and the coax is connected to the cable TV coax. Fortunately, my house has four coax structured cable and have one dedicated for COX internet service which services one outlet for my cable modem. Most modern homes in Las Vegas that have structured wiring have at least two discreet coax lines.

I used Mr. Antenna and the whole thing was up and running within an hour or so. The antenna is small and discreet and can't be seen from the street.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Subur...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 PM

206 posts, read 297,854 times
We bought cheap antennas on Amazon for maybe $13 each. Had it stuck to the patio window on the first floor apartment we rented in Henderson. ABC was perfect. Had issues with FOX but all the other stations were fine. Loved watching the old 80's shows on Laff! Who doesn't love Drew Carey?!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:54 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,346,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
I have an RCA branded (RCA is a brand and no longer a company) Yagi antenna, about $50.00 for the raw antenna which itself is maybe 30 inches in length and maybe 12 inches at the widest part.
I have the exact same antenna and this amplifier. I didn't mount mine outside, but actually inside my attic. Pointed it using an Android app that helps you point towards the stations you want.

Put them in my attic in 2013, ran through a whole house splitter to 5 TVs. Still working great, get all the main stations and dozens I'll never watch. Honestly though, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube have almost completely replaced watching any broadcast TV. Too many commercials and too little content after you get accustomed to digital options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or