U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:50 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times

Advertisements

The third antenna is the charm. The first 2 I bought must have been garbage. At last I found a good one, a Mohu Leaf 50. It's an indoor antenna with an amplifier. I hooked it up yesterday and I was shocked when the scan said I had 60 channels. And most of them are watchable.

NBC and CBS are great and they are actually in HD. But ABC and all the other # 13 channels are so pixelated they can't be watched. I looked up the transmitter and I think it's on Black Mountain. Do you get ABC on your antenna? I am trying to figure out if this is a common problem or something specific to my location! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 PM

395 posts, read 250,591 times
Why watch Fake News?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:45 PM

272 posts, read 136,527 times
I consistently have problems with Channel 13. Channel 13 actually broadcasts on VHF channel 13, so if you can feed in a dipole antenna specifically cut to size for Channel 13, it may help. Any off-the-shelf antenna you buy is going to be a compromise antenna for VHF-HI and the center frequency of said antenna is likely to be in the middle of the frequencies for channels 7-13, which means that it will receive the worst reception of all the VHF-HI channels on channels 7 & 13.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I consistently have problems with Channel 13. Channel 13 actually broadcasts on VHF channel 13, so if you can feed in a dipole antenna specifically cut to size for Channel 13, it may help. Any off-the-shelf antenna you buy is going to be a compromise antenna for VHF-HI and the center frequency of said antenna is likely to be in the middle of the frequencies for channels 7-13, which means that it will receive the worst reception of all the VHF-HI channels on channels 7 & 13.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2017, 04:26 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,339,382 times
I get ABC easily, but it's line of sight from my house (Anthem area) I have trouble getting Fox and NBC that are not line of sight.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:22 PM

10,736 posts, read 3,748,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The third antenna is the charm. The first 2 I bought must have been garbage. At last I found a good one, a Mohu Leaf 50. It's an indoor antenna with an amplifier. I hooked it up yesterday and I was shocked when the scan said I had 60 channels. And most of them are watchable.

NBC and CBS are great and they are actually in HD. But ABC and all the other # 13 channels are so pixelated they can't be watched. I looked up the transmitter and I think it's on Black Mountain. Do you get ABC on your antenna? I am trying to figure out if this is a common problem or something specific to my location! Thanks!
There are two things that work with these flat antennas. Get them high and facing the TV source. People also claim good results against windows.

I am at least ten miles further away then you and get all major channels cleanly. What I have is an ancient log periodic at about thirty feet. Even has one element broken off. So it is pretty much always a height issue. And they call these thing multi-directional. What that tells you is they receive from all directions but not uniformly...so play around. If you can reasonably get to the attic that often works great.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There are two things that work with these flat antennas. Get them high and facing the TV source. People also claim good results against windows.

I am at least ten miles further away then you and get all major channels cleanly. What I have is an ancient log periodic at about thirty feet. Even has one element broken off. So it is pretty much always a height issue. And they call these thing multi-directional. What that tells you is they receive from all directions but not uniformly...so play around. If you can reasonably get to the attic that often works great.
I am holding out on the attic thing as a last resort because I hate putting holes in the ceiling but I can if I have to. I have a ladder in the room and I am moving it a bit every day but still no improvements on the #13 transmitter.

I think you are also at a higher elevation than me!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:37 PM

32 posts, read 25,075 times
I get all of the available 2-13 channels with just a small indoor antenna 2 doesn't come in well but all of the rest are good ...... I'm near sunrise Mt.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,339,382 times
Our antennas are in the attic but it does negatively affect signal strength. Some things to consider:
Even very small adjustments to your antenna can affect your ability to pick up a signal.
Not all antennas pick up VHF stations, especially the small flat indoor antennas.
A signal amplifier might help. Get a good one. I wasted money on a cheap one that was useless.
There are web sites that will help you to determine where the broadcast antennas are in relationship to where you live.
To get the best signal, you want line of sight to the broadcast antennas.
If you install an antenna in your attic, avoid metal ducting, pipes, stucco wire etc that can degrade your signal. I mounted our antennas as high as I could, pointed through the roof (as much as I could anyway)

Old 08-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Our antennas are in the attic but it does negatively affect signal strength. Some things to consider:
Even very small adjustments to your antenna can affect your ability to pick up a signal.
Not all antennas pick up VHF stations, especially the small flat indoor antennas.
A signal amplifier might help. Get a good one. I wasted money on a cheap one that was useless.
There are web sites that will help you to determine where the broadcast antennas are in relationship to where you live.
To get the best signal, you want line of sight to the broadcast antennas.
If you install an antenna in your attic, avoid metal ducting, pipes, stucco wire etc that can degrade your signal. I mounted our antennas as high as I could, pointed through the roof (as much as I could anyway)
The first 2 I bought were useless. I learned the hard way! The Leaf 50 does have an amplifier that plugs into a USB port on the TV. I have been moving it around every day to see if it makes a difference but so far no luck on ABC.

If that's the best I can can do, that's OK. I mostly wanted local news and weather anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or