Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:02 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,808,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboman55 View Post
... vanity license plates. What a waste of money but people pay the extra money to do it.
At my daughter's condo building parking lot this weekend, there is a beautiful new 2017 Rolls Royce Wraith with the vanity license plate "HITMAN." Must be a coincidence that Mayweather fought McGregor this weekend. Yeah, just a coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
If that were the case, The Harmon Hotel would not have been imploded
I can't rep you without being more promiscuous in my reping so I'll just give you a for correctly using the subjunctive mood. Far too many people don't use it nowadays.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:44 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,502,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The Harmon was not imploded. It was disasssembled. And that was a negotiated outcome...not one driven by the facts. Far more money than physics involved.
Exactly on the disassembled.

It was taken down because of faulty building. Which why it was never built as tall as the plans called for. Missing rebar, etc. MGM proved that in court.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

It was taken down because of faulty building. Which why it was never built as tall as the plans called for. Missing rebar, etc. MGM proved that in court.
Just curious: where did you get your structural engineering degree?

Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,258,506 times
Quote:

Nope. The Harmon was settled and no one ever admitted or was found liable.

There were clearly defects in the construction. Whether fatal will never be known. And a big item was certainly that MGM knew they did not want a tower of condominiums at that point in time.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Just curious: where did you get your structural engineering degree?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are just being curious.

Now if I saw it as you being a know it all smart ass, I'd say what rock did you live under when this was all going on. Seriously its that big a deal to you? Really you live this way asking people this crap cause you don't know something?

But again I'll be nice and go with the first one.

How long have you lived here? BTW It was never imploded, but taken down over a period of time.

It was all over the news constantly what the problem was. Diagrams were shown, etc. It dominated the local news for months if not longer.

Lots of the guys working there were filmed getting loaded across the street and going back to work.

The MGM never paid for it. So someone was at fault. Professional witnesses said they'd never go into the building as it was. The builder stated they'd fix it an MGM said no, take it down.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 08-28-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. The Harmon was settled and no one ever admitted or was found liable.

There were clearly defects in the construction. Whether fatal will never be known. And a big item was certainly that MGM knew they did not want a tower of condominiums at that point in time.
MGM never paid for it. In a round about way the builder said they'd fix it, to me that says they were at fault.

MGM was smart to not want a tower of condos on top of a faulty building. Professional witnesses said they wouldn't even go into it.

Did you not see the reporting on the news about this?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:20 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,258,506 times
Quote:
MGM never paid for it. In a round about way the builder said they'd fix it, to me that says they were at fault.

MGM was smart to not want a tower of condos on top of a faulty building. Professional witnesses said they wouldn't even go into it.

Did you not see the reporting on the news about this?
You are misstating the actual outcome. The facts were never tried and there were expert witnesses on both sides. There were large insurance claims paid but who got what is still not clear...the actual settlement was confidential. However MGM did pay the builder...

MGM Resorts is paying a total of $153 million to Tutor Perini, including $72 million MGM Resorts had in escrow from CityCenter condominium sales.
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2014/de...awed-strip-ho/

Simply a negotiated settlement. Nobody was actually willing to try it.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:25 PM

497 posts, read 480,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
LOL what?! There won't ever be an earthquake in Vegas. It's nowhere near a fault line. What are you smoking?!
There are fault lines all over Vegas, and there have been earthquakes. Google is your friend.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:14 PM

^^^^ true

https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...-harmon-hotel/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas