Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 AM

469 posts, read 491,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One more complaint I would have added to the OP's list is living in a Walled City. Walls, walls, walls everywhere, hundreds of miles of them! And Sheriff's departments have stated that burglars love walls!

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd allow street artists to add some much-needed color to them, but gray, tan, brown, brown, brown! Oh please! I'll be the happiest Las Vegas resident when our potential 6.8 quake strikes here, and the walls come tumbling down! And won't that give Las Vegans a big scare, being able to see their neighbors for the first time!
I love walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:11 AM

23,130 posts, read 28,863,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post

Speaking of downtown, what is the neighborhood with old houses, but beautiful very green, lots of old trees, long driveways If I'm remembering correctly. It almost doesn't look like it belongs in Las Vegas? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
It could be Scotch 80's to the west of the Freeway and Rancho Drive. Lots of older, large ranch style homes of the 50's/60's, which is where our Mayor Goodman resides. Pretty dark over there at night with few street lights and many streets, with no sidewalks. But those homes have gotten very pricey, some nearing $1 million.

Otherwise, to the east is Huntridge bordered by Charleston, LV Blvd, Sahara and Eastern. To the east is an historical district with narrow streets, some streets without sidewalks.

I've walked that entire area at night, with walks with my ferret.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:36 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,262,081 times
I have to totally disagree with "no sense of community", and I feel really sorry for someone who lived there for 13 years and made no friends.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:42 AM

621 posts, read 537,067 times
Once he said there is nothing to do within a few hour drive unless you go to California I stopped reading. That's patently false and anyone who believes that is just a negative person and there is no point in engaging them in a debate.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM

472 posts, read 376,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I have to totally disagree with "no sense of community", and I feel really sorry for someone who lived there for 13 years and made no friends.
In the year I'm living in Vegas I know all my surrounding neighbors well. We take in each other garbage pails if someone isnt home, sat out on the street together for the 4th of july, and we're planning a block party next spring. We're 5 households. It's really been great. I don't worry about someone taking my packages on at home deliveries. We compare notes when strangers ring doorbells. A great sense of community. Not at all what I expected, but serendipitous to find.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:55 AM

927 posts, read 877,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickydim View Post
In the year I'm living in Vegas I know all my surrounding neighbors well. We take in each other garbage pails if someone isnt home, sat out on the street together for the 4th of july, and we're planning a block party next spring. We're 5 households. It's really been great. I don't worry about someone taking my packages on at home deliveries. We compare notes when strangers ring doorbells. A great sense of community. Not at all what I expected, but serendipitous to find.
That's awesome. I must have bad luck, since I've had new neighbors to my left, right, across the street, and behind me in the last 2 years.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:15 AM

472 posts, read 376,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
That's awesome. I must have bad luck, since I've had new neighbors to my left, right, across the street, and behind me in the last 2 years.
Maybe good neighboring starts with you. It's got to start somewhere.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,502,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wind? Hah! Try Iowa in a blizzard at 10 degrees.
BEEN there done that.

When I was in college, 1981. I remember 70 degrees below zero.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I went out to Barnes and Noble 2 weeks ago, trying to hunt down some Surrealist Painters, like Max Ernst, and there were only 4 small shelves of Art books. The clerk apologized for the scanty Art book selection, but he told me they were scaling down the Art book selections. Not surprising at all for this city! But I did get a hold of Taschen's Kahlo and Bosch books.
There is this new company on line called Amazon. www.Amazon.com Most of us buy lots of stuff from them.
If it's a book they have it.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Note that the suicide rate in NV outside of Las Vegas is higher than in Clark County. So Vegas is not even the suicide capital of Nevada. Nevada is about 8th on the suicide rate trailing WY, AK, MN, NM, UT, CO, ID. The pasttern is pretty clear...don't live in the low population density regions.
Why do we care about the suicide rate? AS long as they aren't taking anyone else with them.
In the US we have freedom to make choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas