U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:05 AM

213 posts, read 104,911 times

Advertisements

Dept. of Wildlife holding coyote meeting tonight - Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
This is why hunting coyotes is so popular. They not only eat pets but young deer as well.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,391,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank702 View Post
Think the coyotes will show up Dang varmits.

They are all over the higher altitude of summerlin, if there's a golf course. Keep the bunny population under control.

Seen 2 bobcats in our HOA, love living with the wild life.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:07 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,339,382 times
Our HOA is reluctant to post coyote warning signs, but is willing to post a coyote awareness in our quarterly newsletter. Someone pointed out to me that if the HOA posted warnings signs about coyotes, next would be requests for signs warning of scorpions and black widow spiders. I called the Nevada Department of Wildlife and there are two licensed trappers in the valley who dispose of (not relocate) coyotes.

Last edited by skugelstadt; 08-17-2017 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 AM

1,945 posts, read 2,116,599 times
It doesn't seem like the coyotes are doing a good job with cat population control in my neighborhood. Supposedly, they are around but I haven't seen one in my neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:36 PM

13,433 posts, read 24,210,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
It doesn't seem like the coyotes are doing a good job with cat population control in my neighborhood. Supposedly, they are around but I haven't seen one in my neighborhood.
Coyotes don't usually get cats except for the very old and or sick. The cat will just climb a tree and get up too high for the coyote to follow. Now that chihuahua is another story. But even a chi is big prey for them.

I have seen 4 in my urban neighborhood usually late at night. The first few times I saw them it was dark and I thought they were dogs until I got closer. Now I have seen them several times and they look quite healthy and well fed. I would bet they get plenty of palm rats, mice, and rabbits. And that's not a bad thing. They are getting rid of pests and controlling their population. They are opportunistic hunters and as long as the pests are plentiful and easy to catch, that's what they will eat. Whatever is easiest is fine with them.

The ones in my neighborhood don't seem to be interested in trash/garbage cans. I saw them on trash night once and they were not interested in all the trash cans on the curb. I think they were hunting rats.

They are shy, avoid people, and tend to hunt at night, evening, and very early morning. Other than not letting my tiny dog run free, I wouldn't worry about it!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:05 PM

1,945 posts, read 2,116,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Coyotes don't usually get cats except for the very old and or sick. The cat will just climb a tree and get up too high for the coyote to follow. Now that chihuahua is another story. But even a chi is big prey for them.

I have seen 4 in my urban neighborhood usually late at night. The first few times I saw them it was dark and I thought they were dogs until I got closer. Now I have seen them several times and they look quite healthy and well fed. I would bet they get plenty of palm rats, mice, and rabbits. And that's not a bad thing. They are getting rid of pests and controlling their population. They are opportunistic hunters and as long as the pests are plentiful and easy to catch, that's what they will eat. Whatever is easiest is fine with them.

The ones in my neighborhood don't seem to be interested in trash/garbage cans. I saw them on trash night once and they were not interested in all the trash cans on the curb. I think they were hunting rats.

They are shy, avoid people, and tend to hunt at night, evening, and very early morning. Other than not letting my tiny dog run free, I wouldn't worry about it!

Too bad. My cat sneaks out the dog door. I'm surprised she is still around at her age.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:47 AM

2,505 posts, read 993,993 times
So a chihuahua would be big prey for a coyote? Some of the rabbits they catch on the golf course are bigger than that. We have a 35 pound Boston Terrier. He's medium size for dog but big for a Boston. I'm not too worried about coyotes with him.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:44 AM

213 posts, read 104,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Yellow, I thought we lived in the same neighborhood? Blows my mind that you have seen coyotes around here!

Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM

8,676 posts, read 8,857,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
So a chihuahua would be big prey for a coyote? Some of the rabbits they catch on the golf course are bigger than that. We have a 35 pound Boston Terrier. He's medium size for dog but big for a Boston. I'm not too worried about coyotes with him.
Depends on the size of the chihuahua. Mine are 6 and 9 pounds. My girl (6 lbs) is probably the size of a large rabbit and is more slender built. My boy (9 lbs) is bigger and more solid. My boy would be large prey, I would think.

I don't let either out unsupervised, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas