U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:32 PM

1,153 posts, read 715,235 times

Advertisements

Today on my early morning walk I heard something running down the middle of the street. I glanced over and saw a young coyote out for a run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:10 PM

13,432 posts, read 24,204,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank702 View Post
Yellow, I thought we lived in the same neighborhood? Blows my mind that you have seen coyotes around here!
We do live in the same area and they live here too!

But I am out and about at odd hours. I have 3 big dogs who need their exercise so I am out on the street in the middle of the night all summer long because it's too hot during the day. If you ever see someone walking a doberman, weimaraner, and a GSP, that's me!

Old 08-18-2017, 05:48 PM

10,703 posts, read 3,742,867 times
The Coyotes need cover. That is why they like golf courses. I have seen a half dozen around Sun City Summerlin. And one very big and obviously nursing female just inside the gates at Spanish Trail. She declined to yield right of way and made us stop as she sauntered across the road. Then ducked down and vanished into a golf course culvert.

Use to see them on occasion behind Lone Mountain before the 215. It was pretty wild open desert back that way.

They are rare where we are as there is virtually no cover. Just walled yards and empty desert lots. And the lots are all walked on and ridden on by the kids on bikes and dirt bikes.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:46 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
This is off topic but we used to live in La Canada when I was growing up. We lost cats all the time.
They would just disappear.
I'm a little stunned that you can say that in such a matter-of-fact way. "We lost cats all the time, no big deal."

I would think that after the FIRST one "disappeared," you would learn to keep them indoors.

My mom had a dog torn apart by a pack of wild dogs. I don't know if they were coyotes or what. This was in Pahrump. I love my mom, but even all these years later there is a part of me that cannot forgive her for knowing her fence was broken (which is how her dog got out) and doing nothing about it. I can only imagine the horror her dog went through before dying.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm a little stunned that you can say that in such a matter-of-fact way. "We lost cats all the time, no big deal."

I would think that after the FIRST one "disappeared," you would learn to keep them indoors.

My mom had a dog torn apart by a pack of wild dogs. I don't know if they were coyotes or what. This was in Pahrump. I love my mom, but even all these years later there is a part of me that cannot forgive her for knowing her fence was broken (which is how her dog got out) and doing nothing about it. I can only imagine the horror her dog went through before dying.
Sadness on your loss. Even after 8 years I still mourn my dog. Lost to a carcinoma.

And the dog may have loved it. What a way to go. Mine shed his mortal coils in my arms in a very pleasant room in a vet hospital. He would much rather have gone killing a horde of rodents. It was what he lived for.

And much of Pahrump would volunteer to go out with teeth biting into the throat of the others.

Dogs are canine. Not human. And the ones I have known well would have preferred to check out with snapping jaws in combat... not in friendly arms in a vet hospital .

Old 08-22-2017, 03:07 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,739,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sadness on your loss. Even after 8 years I still mourn my dog. Lost to a carcinoma.

And the dog may have loved it. What a way to go. Mine shed his mortal coils in my arms in a very pleasant room in a vet hospital. He would much rather have gone killing a horde of rodents. It was what he lived for.

And much of Pahrump would volunteer to go out with teeth biting into the throat of the others.

Dogs are canine. Not human. And the ones I have known well would have preferred to check out with snapping jaws in combat... not in friendly arms in a vet hospital .
It is absolutely impossible to me to think of a pet dog being torn apart by a pack of wild dogs being a "better" death than dying at home or at the vet's, peacefully (as all of my animals have gone).

Sorry, I know you meant well, but no, my mom's pet dog did not enjoy the horrendous way he died.

And I can't write any more or I will be bawling again, even though it has been years. He was a sweet, sweet dog and deserved SO much better.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:31 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,263,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
My mom had a dog torn apart by a pack of wild dogs. I don't know if they were coyotes or what.
Coyotes aren't pack animals

Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Coyotes aren't pack animals
Around here no. Pairs or singles. But they apparently do pack up in other places...The national forest up behind Pasadena has had trouble with Coyote packs for years.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 PM

981 posts, read 704,724 times
Wow if you are still carrying that after 8 years you may want to get some counseling.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:20 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,389,796 times
The term wild dogs refers to a specific pack animals in Africa. The are quit beautiful. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...th-Africa.html Gorgeous pics.

A group of dogs here that team up are livin' the thug life. Gone rogue. There are no bad dogs only bad owners.

After 40 some safari's in my life, I laugh when people are scared of coyotes. Take care of your pets. Even if they are in the yard a coyote can get them very quickly.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 08-23-2017 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas