U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 05:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,338,376 times

Advertisements

We are having quite a few coyote attacks on small pets in my area (Anthem). Anybody know where to source coyote warnng signs? I don't know if the HOA's would be willing to have them installed but if they do, I want to have a source. I've looked on the internet and haven't found a stock, mass produced sign suitable for our needs. Most signs are "coyote parking", "coyote crossing" etc. I need something more serious. Thanks for helpful suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 05:48 PM
EA

5,472 posts, read 4,661,911 times
Do you think Coyotes can read?

Old 08-09-2017, 05:52 PM

3,480 posts, read 1,419,774 times
Default They're hard to see, though

Here ya go:

See https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...=10&ajaxhist=0

Old 08-09-2017, 07:28 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
Are those small pets on leashes.

We have invaded coyotes territory. And small pets are food for these animals.

Keep you pets on a leash at all times or in the house.

We got coyotes and bobcats over here in the higher elevations of Summerlin. Lots of missing pets become food. Our guards say they find the collars off the pet taken as food.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:33 PM

26,881 posts, read 38,123,724 times
Every so often we hear what we are certain is a dog or cat being taken by a coyote. God, what a sound! Sun City Summerlin.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM

818 posts, read 483,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Do you think Coyotes can read?
Watch Looney Tunes' Wiley Coyote--he not only reads, but receives routine shipments of over-sized objects from Acme, apparently a mail order company specializing in all sorts of anti-roadrunner gear.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 AM

13,295 posts, read 7,277,975 times
When I lived in Colorado, (Denver burbs) our new neighbors from outside the area would let their cats roam the neighborhood freely. I would warn them about the Coyotes, and they'd just give me a funny look. In a week or two, their would be a sign up on the mailbox cluster "Missing Cat, Fluffy, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx if you find her." Fluffy was not missing. Fluffy was breakfast/lunch or dinner. Even dogs would go "missing" occasionally.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 AM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Kind of interesting. It has always been a problem in Sun City Summerlin. The rough on the golf course is referred to as the "coyote buffet". The primary game is rabbits which live there in significant quantity.

Get over into Lone Mountain and it does not appear to be a problem. Our cul de sac has at least 4 outdoor cats and has had some roaming for the last 20 years. For 12 years we had a feral living on our patio. At present our big male wanders the yard though he does not leave the property.

Neighbors lost a chihuahua and another dog was injured but both of those were the work of another neighborhood dog.

The local theory is that the coyotes don't go over the walls. Not that they can't but that they don't because some of the walls contain creatures that can easily eat a coyote.

Had friends in La Cañada in southern CA. who backed to the national forest. The theory there were cats were fine until they they reached their teens when they lost the half second they used to get up a tree or on a garage roof to escape. So outdoor cats were common but no old ones.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:04 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,741,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Kind of interesting. It has always been a problem in Sun City Summerlin. The rough on the golf course is referred to as the "coyote buffet". The primary game is rabbits which live there in significant quantity.

Get over into Lone Mountain and it does not appear to be a problem. Our cul de sac has at least 4 outdoor cats and has had some roaming for the last 20 years. For 12 years we had a feral living on our patio. At present our big male wanders the yard though he does not leave the property.

Neighbors lost a chihuahua and another dog was injured but both of those were the work of another neighborhood dog.

The local theory is that the coyotes don't go over the walls. Not that they can't but that they don't because some of the walls contain creatures that can easily eat a coyote.

Had friends in La Cañada in southern CA. who backed to the national forest. The theory there were cats were fine until they they reached their teens when they lost the half second they used to get up a tree or on a garage roof to escape. So outdoor cats were common but no old ones.

This is off topic but we used to live in La Canada when I was growing up. We lost cats all the time.
They would just disappear.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 PM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
This is off topic but we used to live in La Canada when I was growing up. We lost cats all the time.
They would just disappear.
your cats a lttile slow? Over weight? My friend's point were all outdoor cats eventually disappeared. He claims his vanished only after they got older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas