U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2017, 07:55 PM
 
30 posts, read 26,651 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Hi,

I was offered an administrative position at a casino in Vegas and am waiting on the background check before I get offer letter. the 2 offenses I have on my record are traffic related, a DWI from 6 years ago and a driving while license suspended from 5 years ago. I also have mediocre credit, some defaulted student loans that I am now making payments to the IRS for.

I am in another state so can someone educate me on what type of license if any I need for an office job? Will these blemishes from my past create a problem? I work for a Government body right now so I would be real surprised if any of this created a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:00 PM
 
9,322 posts, read 11,242,312 times
Reputation: 5964
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi View Post
Hi,

I was offered an administrative position at a casino in Vegas and am waiting on the background check before I get offer letter. the 2 offenses I have on my record are traffic related, a DWI from 6 years ago and a driving while license suspended from 5 years ago. I also have mediocre credit, some defaulted student loans that I am now making payments to the IRS for.

I am in another state so can someone educate me on what type of license if any I need for an office job? Will these blemishes from my past create a problem? I work for a Government body right now so I would be real surprised if any of this created a problem.
Is this a large well-known casino or a smaller local-place? It is hard to know if a DUI and driving offense would affect your being hired. Lower credit score, I have heard some companies check your credit worthiness. Perhaps others can chime in on what they look for in hiring...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 05:01 PM
 
329 posts, read 215,262 times
Reputation: 572
I am not sure about your background, but am absolutely flabbergasted you're able to nab a casino job, while being an out of state resident. Please tell me your secrets?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 07:29 PM
 
30 posts, read 26,651 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7freak7 View Post
I am not sure about your background, but am absolutely flabbergasted you're able to nab a casino job, while being an out of state resident. Please tell me your secrets?!!
Experience and college my friend. As I said, this is not a gaming job, but an administrative job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2017, 07:31 PM
 
30 posts, read 26,651 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Is this a large well-known casino or a smaller local-place? It is hard to know if a DUI and driving offense would affect your being hired. Lower credit score, I have heard some companies check your credit worthiness. Perhaps others can chime in on what they look for in hiring...
thanks

Last edited by enjoi; 08-12-2017 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 12:01 AM
 
395 posts, read 250,255 times
Reputation: 351
Lying on your resume helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 07:42 AM
 
2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
Reputation: 5292
College helps here, maybe why she got it. Maybe OP has excellent work history.

Small business NOT a casino- If you aren't handling money or doing bookkeeping we don't care about credit scores. After hiring people I found out about not paying child support or IRS debt. Which cost me time an money to make sure these are paid. I would never hire someone who doesn't pay child support. Mine was an overall sh#t#y person. If your skills are exceptional, IRS debt I could care less about. Hubs might feel different. Again this BS cost s me time and money when hiring these types.

We aren't a casino. Somehow our hired back ground checker would call you and probably asking about your drinking situation today.
Are you attending AA, do you drink now etc? If you can pass a drug test, you might be OK as many locals can't.

This is an at will state and business owners use it to their advantage. Keep that in mind. But I think most states are at will anyway.

If you are average, don't do drugs, pay bills, no record of violence, college helps but not mandatory. You will find a job. Many people moving here are retired or very wealthy and are coming here for the low taxes.

My business owner friends all need employees and are having trouble finding them or keeping them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 11:40 AM
 
395 posts, read 250,255 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
My business owner friends all need employees and are having trouble finding them or keeping them.
They probably might be paying their employees low wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2017, 07:11 PM
 
2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
Reputation: 5292
^^^ I know one does pay low. Hubs told him he was paying $60,000 + 30 years ago for the position he thought he could get $15.00 per hr for.

The rest seem reasonable in their pay structures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 11:11 AM
 
395 posts, read 250,255 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^ I know one does pay low. Hubs told him he was paying $60,000 + 30 years ago for the position he thought he could get $15.00 per hr for.

The rest seem reasonable in their pay structures.
What company and positions are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top