U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:04 PM

13,438 posts, read 24,222,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
If there's a two year program, horticulture. Grow some marijuana.
I thought about pot school but then I decided those hot and humid growing conditions would make for a pretty miserable work environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:37 PM

496 posts, read 215,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I thought about pot school but then I decided those hot and humid growing conditions would make for a pretty miserable work environment.
I hear $3000/lb, and they can't get enough.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:51 AM

2,575 posts, read 1,897,275 times
In Nevada the buy in is 4 million for a despensary in LV. They told me about it here in Oregon where the buy in and permit for a dispensary is 4 thousand. Oregon also has the highest quality for the least amount of money and the lowest prices out of all the legalized recreational pot States.

To have a professional grow also costs a lot of money according to my friend who has a pot farm in Colorado that she just sold. She's a multi-millionaire now and she only did it a couple of years. Also had a friend in Washington that had a grow and told me she paid for two nice Harley Davidsons that way. I had no idea she did that. Neither of them that had businesses in it smoked it either.

Lot of money if your good at business and it practically sells itself but you gotta deal with the bureaucracy now. Plus they're saying California is producing 7 times what consumers in their State use. Which they're also suggesting that means it will be black market smuggled across State lines.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:47 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,118,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I know several people who have become medical coders through a correspondence course at an accredited two-year university. They could do it at their own pace even and some did it full time in 11 months getting their certifications while others did it part-time and completed it in two years while working full time else where. It was a sort of transition period for them between careers but it was well worth it. Once they were certified they were immediately employed at hospitals as coders making $25 - $26 an hour. Then after some experience like a year or two, they could become traveling coders. Where they travel the country as a coder where ever they are needed for a couple weeks or months and they make $35 an hour and have all their expenses paid. Of course, they'd have to live in hotels but they get to go out to eat all the time and they have an expense account and they get to live different places for awhile and try out living there while working. Their off time was still theirs. Their plane tickets were covered for the most part except vacations but by then they racked up airline points they could use with frequent flyer miles.

One online school for coders is called Andrews School. https://www.andrewsschool.com/coding/

Another online school for coders can be found as some local Universities. It's under Health Information Management. One coder I know got her two-year associates and then the doctors office she worked for wanted to send her to Seattle every week for classes to get her four-year degree in coding. She didn't want to do that because that would mean she would be doing a different job than she was hired for and she didn't want to that. Which would be more coding than managing. She liked what she did.

Anyways, that's one option. I also knew a gal that did dental assisting or hygienist. I guess there are separate paths there with different pay grades. The gal I knew was going to do a two-year program and make $16-$17 an hour in 2003 in Texas. I had a cousin in Boise who did the two-year degree program and she made $22 an hour at the most in the early 2000's. I have a couple friends that did Medical Assisting. Which I guess can be 11 months or two years. One of them made $13 an hour part time in Boise. Another one works full time for an Orthocenter making $16 an hour as an MA in Boise.

They all paid way less for two years than I did to receive a traditional four-year degree. They all made more money to start out with after completing their degree than I did having a four-year degree. However, their wages are capped at a certain level that is lower than mine as mine has a higher earning potential in the long-term, but I too have a cap unless I expand my skillset laterally. I can go in four or five different paths with mine. Which I have done one lateral move so far that interested me and increased my ceiling, but I'm considering another option to go more creative and outside of an employer and freelance for myself. I dipped my toes in Vegas but that's another story. So my point is that it's not my first career change and I get what you mean about spring chickens and stuff. It didn't hinder me to go back to school though it's not the same field you're talking about. You'll come well seasoned with life experience. There is nothing wrong with attempting to improve your lot in life while improving yourself.

You don't need an associates degree for Medical or dental assistant and both pay around the same. You can finish those programs in 6 months-1 year depending on the school. Dental Hygiene is the associates degree and pays great but CSN only takes a small number of students. You need to complete pre-req's plus the 2 year program.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:08 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,393,316 times
Friend whose used to be a hygienist said many dentists here are too cheap to hire a real hygienist to clean teeth. (She went to nursing school to be a BSN after years of hygienist. )
They use a Assistant and keep the money themselves. So you aren't getting what you pay for.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:34 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,118,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Friend whose used to be a hygienist said many dentists here are too cheap to hire a real hygienist to clean teeth. (She went to nursing school to be a BSN after years of hygienist. )
They use a Assistant and keep the money themselves. So you aren't getting what you pay for.
I've never heard that but it isn't my field. I know 1 hygienist and she makes $65 an hour. I do know some have problems getting enough hours or getting into an office with benefits.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:20 PM

2,575 posts, read 1,897,275 times
Yay I think some of them are certificates rather than degrees. Based on the time you're willing to put into getting them which adjusts to your schedule. It can be accelerated or drawn out. They're also marketed more by the for profit campuses which some of them aren't even accredited.

I'm shocked about the dental hygienists $65 an hr wage, and dentist not really paying for certified ones and passing them off as they are.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 4,331 times
I moved to Las Vegas about 5 years ago with some college credits already. Enrolled at CSN and finished up my 2 year associates in general studies. At the time I was serving in a restaurant and have had no prior experience except for restaurant work. After acquiring my degree I started applying to places that had bachelors degree preferred. After about 3 months and 10 interviews I was able to land a purchasing agent job in procurement. There was definitely a learning curve as is with any new job with learning policies, a new system, new people, ect. Once I got the hang of it the job itself was easy, but over time I have accumulated different roles and additional tasks. Extremely happy with my job as it is providing me excellent on the job skills and experience. Hoping that when I get my bachelors in 2 years that I can move up and learn contracts. Starting pay for my position is about $45k - $50k a year.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:30 PM

272 posts, read 136,754 times
Quote:
Lot of money if your good at business and it practically sells itself but you gotta deal with the bureaucracy now. Plus they're saying California is producing 7 times what consumers in their State use. Which they're also suggesting that means it will be black market smuggled across State lines.
It already been happening for quite some time.

I would love to get involved on the ground floor of this industry, but when I looked up Nevada's licensing requirements.........

Old 08-23-2017, 06:32 PM

272 posts, read 136,754 times
Quote:
I'm shocked about the dental hygienists $65 an hr wage, and dentist not really paying for certified ones and passing them off as they are.
Oh c'mon, this is Las Vegas we're talking about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or