U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 02:36 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,267,646 times

Advertisements

Anyone here recently compete one of these and land a job quickly?

Please share your experiences, including what field, the difficulty, job satisfaction, and how long it took to find employment

I'm considering starting one to change careers but am also concerned that employers will favor others since I'm no spring chicken
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 04:06 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,118,356 times
Associates degree in what?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:05 PM

620 posts, read 447,124 times
Dental Hygiene is a hot field here in Las Vegas, and pays quite well. 2 year degree, numerous jobs around. Low stress for most part. Boring, even.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:45 PM

11,583 posts, read 22,689,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Anyone here recently compete one of these and land a job quickly?

Please share your experiences, including what field, the difficulty, job satisfaction, and how long it took to find employment

I'm considering starting one to change careers but am also concerned that employers will favor others since I'm no spring chicken
you are correct, in this town, spring chickens get first choice.. i don't really think an associates does much here..

Old 08-15-2017, 11:10 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,760,290 times
You have an associates degree? Repeat after me, "Would you like fries with that?" Just kidding, I don't have a degree, and I'm medically retired.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:24 AM

439 posts, read 492,170 times
paralegal and anything IT related is hot right now. You can also try bookkeeping.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:53 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,393,316 times
QB full charge bookkeeping is in very high demand.

Don't do that well if you will just do the ar or ap only. But it's a start.

You can get educated through QB. Buy the Business version and practice, practice practice. Build a fake business with the qb for practicing. Take the classes offered.

Small business owners need full charge. You will make at least $35.00 per hour, with experience. A CPA firm hires these people than charge the business owners $70.00 per hour, while paying you $20-$30. Many smaller CPA's have no bennies.
Work for a small business.

No one cares about age here. I know a few 70+ year olds with years of full charge experience, still working.

Or get an AA in bookkeeping. Find out if its QB as that is what most use.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:31 AM

243 posts, read 135,527 times
Maybe working as a cashier at Albertson's. Education is looked down upon here.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:35 AM

2,575 posts, read 1,897,275 times
I know several people who have become medical coders through a correspondence course at an accredited two-year university. They could do it at their own pace even and some did it full time in 11 months getting their certifications while others did it part-time and completed it in two years while working full time else where. It was a sort of transition period for them between careers but it was well worth it. Once they were certified they were immediately employed at hospitals as coders making $25 - $26 an hour. Then after some experience like a year or two, they could become traveling coders. Where they travel the country as a coder where ever they are needed for a couple weeks or months and they make $35 an hour and have all their expenses paid. Of course, they'd have to live in hotels but they get to go out to eat all the time and they have an expense account and they get to live different places for awhile and try out living there while working. Their off time was still theirs. Their plane tickets were covered for the most part except vacations but by then they racked up airline points they could use with frequent flyer miles.

One online school for coders is called Andrews School. https://www.andrewsschool.com/coding/

Another online school for coders can be found as some local Universities. It's under Health Information Management. One coder I know got her two-year associates and then the doctors office she worked for wanted to send her to Seattle every week for classes to get her four-year degree in coding. She didn't want to do that because that would mean she would be doing a different job than she was hired for and she didn't want to that. Which would be more coding than managing. She liked what she did.

Anyways, that's one option. I also knew a gal that did dental assisting or hygienist. I guess there are separate paths there with different pay grades. The gal I knew was going to do a two-year program and make $16-$17 an hour in 2003 in Texas. I had a cousin in Boise who did the two-year degree program and she made $22 an hour at the most in the early 2000's. I have a couple friends that did Medical Assisting. Which I guess can be 11 months or two years. One of them made $13 an hour part time in Boise. Another one works full time for an Orthocenter making $16 an hour as an MA in Boise.

They all paid way less for two years than I did to receive a traditional four-year degree. They all made more money to start out with after completing their degree than I did having a four-year degree. However, their wages are capped at a certain level that is lower than mine as mine has a higher earning potential in the long-term, but I too have a cap unless I expand my skillset laterally. I can go in four or five different paths with mine. Which I have done one lateral move so far that interested me and increased my ceiling, but I'm considering another option to go more creative and outside of an employer and freelance for myself. I dipped my toes in Vegas but that's another story. So my point is that it's not my first career change and I get what you mean about spring chickens and stuff. It didn't hinder me to go back to school though it's not the same field you're talking about. You'll come well seasoned with life experience. There is nothing wrong with attempting to improve your lot in life while improving yourself.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 AM

496 posts, read 215,237 times
If there's a two year program, horticulture. Grow some marijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or