U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-25-2017, 08:14 PM
 
272 posts, read 136,385 times
Reputation: 178

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You are mischaracterizing the areas involved. Both are in fact majority upper middle suburbs by area if not population. Both have lower level housing as well. Sections of 89149 built relatively late were pretty tight smaller lot places. But Providence is reasonably nice and up a few notches. There are also nicer tracts in 89129 including Spanish Springs, The Shadow developments and others. Both zips continue to develop with high end in fill housing at the moment.

I feel no need to explain my accomplishments to you as you have no particular standing to ask. Been here a little of 20 years and have been quite active in local issues. That is all you have any right to know.
Well, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence in my book. Thats all I have to say about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
 
10,699 posts, read 3,742,867 times
Reputation: 4683
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Well, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence in my book. Thats all I have to say about that.
That will be as welcome change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2017, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
951 posts, read 1,112,344 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Also, Summerlin is not necessarily all its cracked up to be. Sure, it looks nice, but you'll have to deal with Nazi HOAs and the weed police, make sure your doors and windows and landscaping and everything else is the right color, and type, etc. It sounds more like a communist stazi paradise to me. I would also add that a number of people I have met from that area have a pompous and snooty attitude simply because they live in "Summerlin" (as though anyone anywhere in the entire US even knows what/where that is as though it were Beverly Hills or something). Summerlin looks like any other HOA/Master planned community I've seen back east. Personally, I embrace the more Libertarian undercurrents of Las Vegas, but now I'm just ranting.....

I stopped at a grocery store in Summerlin several years ago. There were two people in front of me in line. The one in front apparently lived in Summerlin. For no apparent reason, she started tearing into the woman who was between us in line, saying that she was just going through Summerlin to enjoy all of the parks and amenities that other people were paying for. I asked her if this was a special show for strangers, or of she was a total ***** all of the time. That quickly ended the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Vienna
222 posts, read 113,808 times
Reputation: 155
Would you say centennial hills is a better or worse community compared to the lone mountain community in regards to crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 12:25 PM
 
285 posts, read 160,276 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I stopped at a grocery store in Summerlin several years ago. There were two people in front of me in line. The one in front apparently lived in Summerlin. For no apparent reason, she started tearing into the woman who was between us in line, saying that she was just going through Summerlin to enjoy all of the parks and amenities that other people were paying for. I asked her if this was a special show for strangers, or of she was a total ***** all of the time. That quickly ended the conversation.
The whole "Summerlin" facade and appeal is man-made, a "must have" brand that people want to buy into probably because things get run down so quickly in Vegas that developers can exploit the opportunities at the expense of reality. There is a relatively new shopping center they put up over at Sahara and Hualapai. All I see is the same exact shopping center being built over and over again with nearly identical chains. It was bought and sold by EHB, the same company that is about to give the former Badlands golf course the treatment it so desperately needs. More density, more apartments, more houses squeezed into every last square inch of land that is available.

Build it and they will come alright. Just look at the Summerlin Sprouts and glance around at the decor if you ever end up in there. The store opens up to an artificial overture of Summerlin being some type of heavenly place where the Gods reign down and bestow the "Sprouts at Summerlin" with a top notch bounty of farm fresh produce.

Same thing at Trader Joes up near Red Rock. Get real. The fact is that a vast majority of the produce coming into Vegas is CA and/or Mexico mass produced and there is nothing different about what goes into that specific Sprouts inventory simply because it exists in Summerlin. People are dumb and will buy into anything, especially idiots with cash. Eventually Summerlin will become like North Vegas and the process will start all over again until the city has expanded to maximum potential, which is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 02:40 PM
 
2,953 posts, read 1,389,796 times
Reputation: 5292
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
That area isn't too bad, but given the opportunity I would much rather live in Summerlin.
OH watch out you'll be called a snob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 PM
 
272 posts, read 136,385 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I stopped at a grocery store in Summerlin several years ago. There were two people in front of me in line. The one in front apparently lived in Summerlin. For no apparent reason, she started tearing into the woman who was between us in line, saying that she was just going through Summerlin to enjoy all of the parks and amenities that other people were paying for. I asked her if this was a special show for strangers, or of she was a total ***** all of the time. That quickly ended the conversation.
I've had a few run-ins with long-time residents of Summerlin that were not positive experiences. In fact, I haven't had any positive experiences with people from Summerlin. I'm not saying everyone is like that, but this has been my experience. As I said before, its pretty much "anytown" master planned community anywhere in the US, but for some reason, the people there think their **** doesn't stink. Realistically, yes, some areas are better than other parts of Vegas, but they're really not _that_ much better IMHO.

The only areas that truly have that kind of provenance besides maybe a couple of gated communities in Summerlin are all located in Henderson or Lake Las Vegas, or maybe in the boonies in Enterprise or as far out as Blue Diamond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 PM
 
272 posts, read 136,385 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Would you say centennial hills is a better or worse community compared to the lone mountain community in regards to crime?
Probably better. I'm not terribly familiar with Lone Mountain. Las Vegas in general can be very "good block - bad block".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2017, 08:58 PM
 
272 posts, read 136,385 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
The whole "Summerlin" facade and appeal is man-made, a "must have" brand that people want to buy into probably because things get run down so quickly in Vegas that developers can exploit the opportunities at the expense of reality. There is a relatively new shopping center they put up over at Sahara and Hualapai. All I see is the same exact shopping center being built over and over again with nearly identical chains. It was bought and sold by EHB, the same company that is about to give the former Badlands golf course the treatment it so desperately needs. More density, more apartments, more houses squeezed into every last square inch of land that is available.

Build it and they will come alright. Just look at the Summerlin Sprouts and glance around at the decor if you ever end up in there. The store opens up to an artificial overture of Summerlin being some type of heavenly place where the Gods reign down and bestow the "Sprouts at Summerlin" with a top notch bounty of farm fresh produce.

Same thing at Trader Joes up near Red Rock. Get real. The fact is that a vast majority of the produce coming into Vegas is CA and/or Mexico mass produced and there is nothing different about what goes into that specific Sprouts inventory simply because it exists in Summerlin. People are dumb and will buy into anything, especially idiots with cash. Eventually Summerlin will become like North Vegas and the process will start all over again until the city has expanded to maximum potential, which is?
I would argue that it already is. Since I've been here, the crime has been slowly creeping west on Sahara, Flamingo, and Trop past Buffalo into the formerly "pristine" Summerlin neighborhoods. As I said before, no place in Vegas is immune to this. Things got so cheap during the downturn that the riff-raff moved everywhere, including Summerlin.

There are definitely a few folks on this board that have an agenda. I'm not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2017, 09:00 PM
 
272 posts, read 136,385 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
OH watch out you'll be called a snob.
You don't have to be a snob to live in Summerlin, but there are plenty of snobs living there, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top