U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2017, 12:45 PM
 
285 posts, read 160,378 times
Reputation: 225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I would argue that it already is. Since I've been here, the crime has been slowly creeping west on Sahara, Flamingo, and Trop past Buffalo into the formerly "pristine" Summerlin neighborhoods. As I said before, no place in Vegas is immune to this. Things got so cheap during the downturn that the riff-raff moved everywhere, including Summerlin.

There are definitely a few folks on this board that have an agenda. I'm not one of them.
I agree 100%. Many years ago the riff-raff spread into each and every crack and crevice and only now is the impact being realized.

Back before the economic slump I used to live near Flamingo and Durango. At the time is was a half decent, middle class area. A few years ago I drove by the street I used to live on and felt like I was going to get shot just driving down it. Shirtless lost souls meandering the drive, some appeared to be living with their doors open and beer cans in hand at 2 PM. Some had inflatable pools and other unbelievable crap stuffed onto their 5x10 balconies. You could count the abundance of lifted trucks just stacking the street it was unrecognizable. The houses on that street were all built in 2006-2007 and they are so run down now they look like they are war-torn.

Game over. There is no coming back from that, especially when half the block I've found out to be owned by Chinese investors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2017, 03:45 PM
 
10,713 posts, read 3,748,229 times
Reputation: 4694
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
I agree 100%. Many years ago the riff-raff spread into each and every crack and crevice and only now is the impact being realized.

Back before the economic slump I used to live near Flamingo and Durango. At the time is was a half decent, middle class area. A few years ago I drove by the street I used to live on and felt like I was going to get shot just driving down it. Shirtless lost souls meandering the drive, some appeared to be living with their doors open and beer cans in hand at 2 PM. Some had inflatable pools and other unbelievable crap stuffed onto their 5x10 balconies. You could count the abundance of lifted trucks just stacking the street it was unrecognizable. The houses on that street were all built in 2006-2007 and they are so run down now they look like they are war-torn.

Game over. There is no coming back from that, especially when half the block I've found out to be owned by Chinese investors.
Just on a quick lock the homes within a mile of Flamingo and Durango are presently rising at a rate exceeding 20% per year and will surpass their 2008 pricing within 6 months. That is a situation that is virtually certain to lead to vast increases in owner occupancy as investors cash out.

Oriental ownership is around 1/3. Virtually all Californians. Who will all sell as the rentals begin to yield far less. They have actually been trapped by low value and driven to stay by good rent yields. That is changing fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 04:47 PM
 
10,713 posts, read 3,748,229 times
Reputation: 4694
Perhaps a bit of reality for the doom guys. AG Sessions is one who has been crying about an increase in crime. That just got him four Pinocchios from the WaPo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2c48b4fabf72
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2017, 09:00 PM
 
1,945 posts, read 2,116,599 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
You don't have to be a snob to live in Summerlin, but there are plenty of snobs living there, that's for sure!

Everyone loves talking bad about Summerlin area and the residents. Call them all snobs but at least the area is clean and landscape is maintained. They pay to keep that area beautiful. At least they don't have to look at neon blue and pink houses, cars parked in the front yard, ridiculous amounts of graffiti- and what does pop up is covered right away. It's not the only nice community but it is definitely up there as one of the best. You don't like it, stay away less traffic for us in the area.

I don't live in Summerlin, I've been in Peccole Ranch since 2003, but we have noticed a huge increase in petty crime like car and house break-ins. If I was going to rob a house or steal a car I'm going to go where there is something worth stealing. You think I"d waste my time around NE Las Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 01:58 AM
 
272 posts, read 136,527 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Just on a quick lock the homes within a mile of Flamingo and Durango are presently rising at a rate exceeding 20% per year and will surpass their 2008 pricing within 6 months. That is a situation that is virtually certain to lead to vast increases in owner occupancy as investors cash out.

Oriental ownership is around 1/3. Virtually all Californians. Who will all sell as the rentals begin to yield far less. They have actually been trapped by low value and driven to stay by good rent yields. That is changing fast.
I agree with lvmensch on this. We are seeing the Chinese investors cashing out in SW... the rents are rising, and some of the riff-raff that had moved in is now moving out. We also had 20%+ property value increases year over year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 02:12 AM
 
272 posts, read 136,527 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Everyone loves talking bad about Summerlin area and the residents. Call them all snobs but at least the area is clean and landscape is maintained. They pay to keep that area beautiful. At least they don't have to look at neon blue and pink houses, cars parked in the front yard, ridiculous amounts of graffiti- and what does pop up is covered right away.
Graffiti is prevalent everywhere in the valley. Down here in SW, it is also painted over quickly. To me, this speaks to the number of home owners who are invested in the area that don't want to see a decline than anything else.

My area does not have a full HOA... yep, some of the rental properties have yards that leave something to be desired. They aren't REALLY bad, but they're not great either. You can always tell who the homeowners are. On the flip-side, several of my neighbors have painted their houses, in color schemes that they wanted, without having to ask anyone about it, and you know what? They don't even look too bad, either.

Nope, its not cookie-cutter Summerlin, but its not Sunrise Mountain, either. I haven't seen too many problems with cars parked in the yard(there is this ONE house). Then again, these people aren't bothering me. We generally get along and don't have issues. Nobody is running around being the weed patrol and nobody is calling the cops on their neighbors for the occasional party or fireworks on the 4th of July.

County code enforcement can take care of those with "outside storage" issues. Not many, but you'll find this everywhere. I bet, even in Summerlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 02:15 AM
 
272 posts, read 136,527 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
Same thing at Trader Joes up near Red Rock. Get real. The fact is that a vast majority of the produce coming into Vegas is CA and/or Mexico mass produced and there is nothing different about what goes into that specific Sprouts inventory simply because it exists in Summerlin. People are dumb and will buy into anything, especially idiots with cash. Eventually Summerlin will become like North Vegas and the process will start all over again until the city has expanded to maximum potential, which is?
I figured I would mention, since many people don't know, Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi... which is the discount grocery chain of all discount grocery chains for those who don't know. You even have to pay to use a shopping cart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 AM
 
1,945 posts, read 2,116,599 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Graffiti is prevalent everywhere in the valley. Down here in SW, it is also painted over quickly. To me, this speaks to the number of home owners who are invested in the area that don't want to see a decline than anything else.

My area does not have a full HOA... yep, some of the rental properties have yards that leave something to be desired. They aren't REALLY bad, but they're not great either. You can always tell who the homeowners are. On the flip-side, several of my neighbors have painted their houses, in color schemes that they wanted, without having to ask anyone about it, and you know what? They don't even look too bad, either.

Nope, its not cookie-cutter Summerlin, but its not Sunrise Mountain, either. I haven't seen too many problems with cars parked in the yard(there is this ONE house). Then again, these people aren't bothering me. We generally get along and don't have issues. Nobody is running around being the weed patrol and nobody is calling the cops on their neighbors for the occasional party or fireworks on the 4th of July.

County code enforcement can take care of those with "outside storage" issues. Not many, but you'll find this everywhere. I bet, even in Summerlin.
Code enforcement is pretty responsive which is nice.

I have an HOA and I love it. I just got a letter about some weeds on one side of my yard that the neighbor's sprinklers keep over-watering. It's ok, the letter is worded nicely and they give you plenty of time to fix it.

I grew up on the NE side of town and don't have fond memories so, I hate that area. My mother still lives up on the mountain past Hollywood. She complains all the time about the area. I have a hard time feeling sorry for her when she could have bought anywhere at the time she picked that house. You can find some big, beautiful houses up there, but without an easier route who wants to drive forever just to get to the highway?

I really don't care if a neighborhood is old or new. You are right, how the houses and yards are maintained tells you a lot about the people living there. I just really can't stand houses over-run with cars, graffiti, peeling paint or neon colors. The perk to a good association is that the neighborhood stays looking good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 09:19 AM
 
1,945 posts, read 2,116,599 times
Reputation: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
The whole "Summerlin" facade and appeal is man-made, a "must have" brand that people want to buy into probably because things get run down so quickly in Vegas that developers can exploit the opportunities at the expense of reality. There is a relatively new shopping center they put up over at Sahara and Hualapai. All I see is the same exact shopping center being built over and over again with nearly identical chains. It was bought and sold by EHB, the same company that is about to give the former Badlands golf course the treatment it so desperately needs. More density, more apartments, more houses squeezed into every last square inch of land that is available.

Build it and they will come alright. Just look at the Summerlin Sprouts and glance around at the decor if you ever end up in there. The store opens up to an artificial overture of Summerlin being some type of heavenly place where the Gods reign down and bestow the "Sprouts at Summerlin" with a top notch bounty of farm fresh produce.

Same thing at Trader Joes up near Red Rock. Get real. The fact is that a vast majority of the produce coming into Vegas is CA and/or Mexico mass produced and there is nothing different about what goes into that specific Sprouts inventory simply because it exists in Summerlin. People are dumb and will buy into anything, especially idiots with cash. Eventually Summerlin will become like North Vegas and the process will start all over again until the city has expanded to maximum potential, which is?
Do you know how long Summerlin has been around? It will never be like N. Las Vegas- that is wishful thinking. Everyone knows Sprouts and Tj"s are nothing special but people like having plenty of shopping options. That can be said of any side of this city that is considered middle-upper. You just feel uncomfortable when you are in a nicer area and assume everyone is uppity. That isn't our problem, it's yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
93 posts, read 51,841 times
Reputation: 75
I live in 89143. My track is nice, neighbors are friendly, kids at play outside every day. Mostly retired people and middle age families, lots of contractors and so on. There are some really nice gated tracks further from the freeway. Near the freeway is older and I suspect where more of the scuz bags are located. Consider that a sprouts is going in. Companies like sprouts carefully use GIS to examine demographics when selecting a store location. Clearly, their research found there are enough middle and upper class people in the area to make it a profitable location. I do see some scum bags around when shopping, but I sure do not feel unsafe.

Summerlin is ok, my in laws live there. The problem with summerlin is no RV parking, small lots, and the shopping centers are very congested. Costco is just as bad as CA in summerlin. The costco near here is not nearly as busy and the drive there is very pleasant, passing through orchards and nice homes. If none of those things matter to you then you should definitely pick summerlin. The problem in 89143 is that there are limited places to eat and shop. In contrast, summerlin has every store you could think of and more places to eat than you could ever try.

I also like being so close to the edge of town too. 1 exit and it is open highway and wilderness basically all the way to canada. Just 20 minutes east, you are out of the city heading north on 15 to enjoy southern utah or take highway 93 to central and northern Nevada. If you do not like hunting and fishing etc, maybe this does not matter to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top