U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:28 PM

104 posts, read 78,222 times

Advertisements

A quick survey for those who have been living in Henderson/Las Vegas for more than 3 years..

How's the quality of life trend for you and why?

Has the city been improving and adding value to your overall quality of life, no change or are you noticing a reduction?

Economic Climate, Social, Traffic, etc.. etc..

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 06:35 AM

447 posts, read 343,099 times
I'm a bit frustrated with the lack of progress regarding infrastructure. People keep moving here but we're not doing anything to accommodate them.

The school district spent years allowing the schools go over capacity, switching to year-round schedules as a temporary solution. They're just now building new schools, all of them elementary, which isn't fixing the overcrowding in the upper grades.

Housing has become less affordable as we're not building enough homes for new residents. Everything that is being built doesn't have the community features/schools like Summerlin and Green Valley Ranch, which is why you don't see people in those communities listing their homes for sale, which contributes to the low supply of homes that is currently fueling the price increases. The cities keep approving and building apartments and cookie cutter two-story homes on postage stamp lots.

Traffic on the 215 in rush hour gets worse every year. It's still not bad traffic for a major city, but it's annoying when what was a 20 minute drive is now taking 35 min.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,389,796 times
^^^ agree with lots of this. No kids but have been hearing issues around the schools.

I'm wondering who is going to live in all these apartments - they are everywhere. Is that what people are going to have to live in to be able to live here?
Frankly I'd rather the stability of home ownership (with my house not increasing in value ) than a transient population of apartment dwellers.
I'm in my forever home in Summerlin, so how much it appreciates will only affect our heirs. We are seeing record amounts for sales prices, higher than even 2005 and more of them. And we have record low listings.

I avoid 215 from about 3pm till 7pm. Thank God its not mandatory I use it. Last time we took it was 2 years ago for a dinner on the other side of town. Showed up about 30 minutes late and some who were suppose to attend were much later or called and said they'd never make it, stuck on 215.

Something's have gotten much better than when we moved here 17 years ago. Lots more great dining off the strip. Better doctor choices. And of course when you get established in an area, more friends.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:09 PM

26,890 posts, read 38,133,169 times
Security can be an issue even in Sun City. We have a neighborhood watch and security patrols.

A while back I was sent an email from our neighborhood watch person stating that two different homeowners had reported someone in their yards after midnight. They called security and got a "don't want to bother with it" response. The police had the same attitude.

I'm paying for all this why?

Ass for quality of life. Meh. It was certainly better in Iowa. About the only thing I find that is better here is entertainment. Pretty much everything else is subpar compared to our previous location.

Except winter...

Old 08-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Security can be an issue even in Sun City. We have a neighborhood watch and security patrols.

A while back I was sent an email from our neighborhood watch person stating that two different homeowners had reported someone in their yards after midnight. They called security and got a "don't want to bother with it" response. The police had the same attitude.

I'm paying for all this why?

Ass for quality of life. Meh. It was certainly better in Iowa. About the only thing I find that is better here is entertainment. Pretty much everything else is subpar compared to our previous location.

Except winter...
Do you feel the "entertainment" value has increased and is getting better over the years, and makes up for the possible decline in "security" you feel?

Old 08-16-2017, 06:12 PM

10,710 posts, read 3,742,867 times
Virtually everything has improved over the past three years. Visitors are up. Employment is up. Underwater homes are down and it appears we are returning to a normal RE market.

Housing prices are up but still less relatively than most cities. Some places are approaching the 2008 peak but the more expensive places are still a ways off it.

The water thing has backed away from the brink. I think Las Vegas is actually in pretty good shape even if it goes the wrong way. But nicer to simply have the problem fade out some.

All in all we are looking into a multi year high growth situation. Looks good to me until at least 2020 barring a US recession.

TekFreek. You should talk to the Commander of the Security Patrol. While Metro routinely brushes off light prowler calls. The security patrol in Sun City Summerlin normally responds immediately. One problem in SCS is you have lots of night walkers...the old who can't sleep and wander down golf courses and common passages in the middle of the night.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam500 View Post
Do you feel the "entertainment" value has increased and is getting better over the years, and makes up for the possible decline in "security" you feel?
Not increased really. Just better than we had before moving here. We do find that we go to a lot of shows through Houseseats. Went to Man of LaMancha last night. Great show. Surprised at how cool it got at 3700 feet elevation. Next one is, I think, Young Frankenstein.

And my security comment was poorly written. We don't feel less secure. Our concern is more for those in the area that haven't taken the security of their home as seriously as we have. We have our house secured well enough that anyone wanting in will get tired of trying and go next door.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:08 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,425,981 times
My quality of life has increased. Great restaurants. Great entertainment. Lots of ways to have fun.

Traffic is getting worse, which is normally a sign more people are working. Thank goodness it is still far from LA traffic or Bay Area traffic.

If I were in charge, I'd opt for a moratorium on all new residential construction. We have plenty of housing right now.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
My quality of life has increased. Great restaurants. Great entertainment. Lots of ways to have fun.

Traffic is getting worse, which is normally a sign more people are working. Thank goodness it is still far from LA traffic or Bay Area traffic.

If I were in charge, I'd opt for a moratorium on all new residential construction. We have plenty of housing right now.
Good to know the city has IMPROVED over the past 3 years for you...

Hope the trend continues... save the increase in traffic....

Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not increased really. Just better than we had before moving here. We do find that we go to a lot of shows through Houseseats. Went to Man of LaMancha last night. Great show. Surprised at how cool it got at 3700 feet elevation. Next one is, I think, Young Frankenstein.

And my security comment was poorly written. We don't feel less secure. Our concern is more for those in the area that haven't taken the security of their home as seriously as we have. We have our house secured well enough that anyone wanting in will get tired of trying and go next door.
Tonight we went to The Space on Polaris and saw Phat Pack Entertainment. Really great show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or