U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 PM

272 posts, read 136,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Being that Las Vegas still has this stuck-in-the-60's, car-centric mentality, in 20 years, hopefully they'll move on to being stuck-in-the-80's!

Stuck in the 60's? A proposal to build an elevated expressway from the Airport to the Convention Center, and meanwhile, they're tearing these eyesores down in other parts of the country.
I think one of the best things LV could do for LV would be to relocate the airport somewhere outside the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 PM

10,698 posts, read 3,738,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
I think one of the best things LV could do for LV would be to relocate the airport somewhere outside the city.
As a thirty year user of Las Vegas before I moved here that is the last thing Las Vegas should consider. Even when I got to the position of having a corporate airplane to take me home each evening I would still want the 15 minutes to the airport.

It should further integrate the airport into the strip. Should have run the monorail down the middle but blew that one. And I am not sure the new expressway is a bad idea...in 10 or 20 years all those automated cabs will make it a quick trip to get to the strip or even elsewhere in town.

The strip is the Las Vegas steel mill...and will be for the next few decades at least.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
As a thirty year user of Las Vegas before I moved here that is the last thing Las Vegas should consider. Even when I got to the position of having a corporate airplane to take me home each evening I would still want the 15 minutes to the airport.

It should further integrate the airport into the strip. Should have run the monorail down the middle but blew that one. And I am not sure the new expressway is a bad idea...in 10 or 20 years all those automated cabs will make it a quick trip to get to the strip or even elsewhere in town.

The strip is the Las Vegas steel mill...and will be for the next few decades at least.
The area where the airport is located would be much better suited to a ground transportation hub (light rail, monorail, subway, high speed rail, driverless busses, etc.). The airport is already at carrying capacity for air traffic with no room for expansion. While it was once south of the populated sections of the city, it is now right in the center of it.

Extending an elevated highway through the middle of Las Vegas is a recipe for disaster. One need look no further than Baltimore City and the effects of the installation of 83 and the subsequent death of the extension project for I70 for an example of what happens when you cut a city in half with a highway.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The area where the airport is located would be much better suited to a ground transportation hub (light rail, monorail, subway, high speed rail, driverless busses, etc.). The airport is already at carrying capacity for air traffic with no room for expansion. While it was once south of the populated sections of the city, it is now right in the center of it.

Extending an elevated highway through the middle of Las Vegas is a recipe for disaster. One need look no further than Baltimore City and the effects of the installation of 83 and the subsequent death of the extension project for I70 for an example of what happens when you cut a city in half with a highway.
And you do not seem to understand Las Vegas. No one is suggesting A highway that would have any effect on Las Vegas. If the discussed elevated route has any bad impact it will be on the strip. And most of the area impacted might be better turned to strip use or parking lots.

I personally do not know enough to support or oppose the project. It is counter cyclic but sometimes that is bright. And the real answer depends on what happens over the next 25 years.

And I would note one of the dumber things every done by NYC was killing the west side highway.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
And you do not seem to understand Las Vegas. No one is suggesting A highway that would have any effect on Las Vegas. If the discussed elevated route has any bad impact it will be on the strip. And most of the area impacted might be better turned to strip use or parking lots.

I personally do not know enough to support or oppose the project. It is counter cyclic but sometimes that is bright. And the real answer depends on what happens over the next 25 years.

And I would note one of the dumber things every done by NYC was killing the west side highway.
If anything they should be tunneling traffic below Las Vegas Blvd and reclaiming the above ground space for pedestrian traffic/monorail tying it onto the transportation hub where McCarran used to be

Plenty of empty space for a new airport out by the new 11/ Boulder City

Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
If anything they should be tunneling traffic below Las Vegas Blvd and reclaiming the above ground space for pedestrian traffic/monorail tying it onto the transportation hub where McCarran used to be

Plenty of empty space for a new airport out by the new 11/ Boulder City
Again irrational. We have effectively infinite space. It is however important where the space is.

We do not plan or even hope to be Loa Angles or even Phoenix. We simply do not have the resources.

But land we got. With little trouble we could probably map out a dozen airports all better than Denver did.

Below LV Blvd is a vast and complex set of utilities and a relatively shallow aquifer.

And somewhere along the line we might narrow the Boulevard and widen the sidewalks.

But none of this effects Las Vegas residents in any big way. This is tourist stuff.. Most of us avoid the strip. I have been on it only twice in the last year. My wife three or four times.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:00 PM

9,952 posts, read 8,438,330 times
McCarron isn't going anywhere within the next 30 years. At some point, they might build an overflow / cargo airport out along the 15 toward the Cali line. But I wouldn't be holding your breath for that to hapoen.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:21 PM

104 posts, read 78,172 times
They can always build a 2nd airport for larger international flights.. and reserve the current airport for domestic flights.

And build a railway that connects the new international airport to the city center..

Many cities have done this...

Now.. whether this is fiscally reasonable.. I don't know...

Old 08-23-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam500 View Post
They can always build a 2nd airport for larger international flights.. and reserve the current airport for domestic flights.

And build a railway that connects the new international airport to the city center..

Many cities have done this...

Now.. whether this is fiscally reasonable.. I don't know...
They will eventually need to do something. The airliners keep getting larger, and McCarran's expanded runway is only large enough to barely handle the current generation of jumbo jet. My line of thought is that the existing infrastructure at McCarran could be easily repurposed for ground transportation. Railroad track already comes to the property, there are already terminals, highway access, and parking. Whether planes will continue to land on the same property, I don't know, but I think the days are numbered for large passenger jets.

Its been carrying passenger traffic since 1949, which is quite a run for any airport. The 8L/26R runway is the only one large enough to carry the current gen jumbo jets. The 8R/26L runway has not been expanded (I don't know that it can be). The 1L/19R, and 1R/19L are rarely used now because they are not long enough for many of the jets to take off/land on and cannot be expanded. There is also another runway at McCarran that was already decommissioned due to being too small. As it is, the 8L/26R has jets taking off or landing approx every 3 minutes during peak times/seasons.

McCarran's capacity is 55 million passengers per year, last year the airport carried 47,435,640 passengers. Over the last 3 years, the traffic at the airport has been increasing by an average of 4.3% a year - this is in-line with pre-recession numbers as well. If traffic continues to increase in line with the current average, the airport will be at full capacity in approx. 4 years.

In fact, legislation was signed on October 28, 2000, allowing Clark County to purchase land for the planned Ivanpah Valley Airport as a relief airport for McCarran, so I don't think prior statements about my thoughts on the matter being irrational are well founded. While this project was suspended in 2010 due to the recession, I think it may be time to take another look.

There was also a project to bring the monorail to the airport that was also suspended, and I think this is a mistake. I will point out that the monorail already goes through the future convention center(old Riviera) site.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
They will eventually need to do something. The airliners keep getting larger, and McCarran's expanded runway is only large enough to barely handle the current generation of jumbo jet. My line of thought is that the existing infrastructure at McCarran could be easily repurposed for ground transportation. Railroad track already comes to the property, there are already terminals, highway access, and parking. Whether planes will continue to land on the same property, I don't know, but I think the days are numbered for large passenger jets.

Its been carrying passenger traffic since 1949, which is quite a run for any airport. The 8L/26R runway is the only one large enough to carry the current gen jumbo jets. The 8R/26L runway has not been expanded (I don't know that it can be). The 1L/19R, and 1R/19L are rarely used now because they are not long enough for many of the jets to take off/land on and cannot be expanded. There is also another runway at McCarran that was already decommissioned due to being too small. As it is, the 8L/26R has jets taking off or landing approx every 3 minutes during peak times/seasons.

McCarran's capacity is 55 million passengers per year, last year the airport carried 47,435,640 passengers. Over the last 3 years, the traffic at the airport has been increasing by an average of 4.3% a year - this is in-line with pre-recession numbers as well. If traffic continues to increase in line with the current average, the airport will be at full capacity in approx. 4 years.

In fact, legislation was signed on October 28, 2000, allowing Clark County to purchase land for the planned Ivanpah Valley Airport as a relief airport for McCarran, so I don't think prior statements about my thoughts on the matter being irrational are well founded. While this project was suspended in 2010 due to the recession, I think it may be time to take another look.

There was also a project to bring the monorail to the airport that was also suspended, and I think this is a mistake. I will point out that the monorail already goes through the future convention center(old Riviera) site.
As always, there are no responses once I post actual data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or