Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:22 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,448 times

Advertisements

Currently i live in Seattle,washington alone as a single 36 year old white male. I moved to Seattle from Los Angeles in july 2015 all alone. So far in Seattle i have tons of friends,social groups and book clubs.

Here in Seattle im also enjoying the concerts,events,seattle operah,jazz clubs,kyacing and the nice secenery seattle has to offer.

There are 2 things about seattle that concern me. One is the increasing cost of apartment and housing prices. Another is Seattles competetive job market. I have been unemployed in Seattle since march 2017.

My apartment rent in seattle for a one bedroom 610 square foot apartment with no air conditioning and built in 1987 was $1100 a month plus utilities from july 2015 to august 2016. Then from August 2016 to july 2017 my rent went to $1200 a month. Then from august 2017 to july 2018 my rent is currently $1300 a month.

Our minum wage here in Seattle is $15 an hour while las vegas has an $8 an hour minimum wage.

My area of seattle is a good safe area like sumerlin or green valley henderson. If i would move to las vegas i wouldn't want to live in spring valley or near the strip.

In LA i drove from 1998 until july 2015. Currently here in Seattle i dont own a car becuase the bus system goes everywhere just like in San Francisco.

My question is if i lived in sumerlin or green valley and rented a one bedroom apartment and had to make car payments and car insurance would i save any money living in las vegas verses Seattle??

In all honesty id rather live in seattle over las vegas anyday. The air in seattle is much cleaner and seattle has more to do and offer.

I dont want to move back to los angeles again. Los Angeles is too expensive and the people are rude there.

In january 2009 i almost moved to picolle ranch las vegas but changed my mind.

Even though i have a BA degree from California state University northridge it hasnt helped me get jobs better than retail.

The job market here in seattle is competetive. How is the job market in las vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 03:28 AM

Also i forgott to mention that i have aspergers. Here in Seattle i go to 3 aspergers social groups for adults and have made wonderful friends at these groups
Does las vegas have tons of asperger people??

Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 AM

Im currently using my savings account money to pay rent in seattle.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:37 AM

Im not into gambling,drugs or drinking

Old 08-17-2017, 05:01 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
What is your BA degree in? That's a pretty important question before answering your question.

However in the main I think it makes little sense to move. You have a support network in place - why leave that? I suspect your difficulty in finding/retaining a job has a lot to do with your Aspberger's . Moving won't change that. Fix your problems in situ before moving. Most likely the place is not the issue.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:25 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
My question is if i lived in sumerlin or green valley and rented a one bedroom apartment and had to make car payments and car insurance would i save any money living in las vegas verses Seattle??
I don't think you would save any money in Las Vegas. While the cost of living may be a bit lower, the added cost of a car (say, $20,000 for gently used good quality car) plus the cost of automobile insurance (by reputation, we have very high car insurance rates) would unfortunately more than make up for it.

In which field had you worked?

Old 08-17-2017, 01:34 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,551,499 times
Don't come to Vegas. I went to Seattle recently and I liked the change of weather and that Seattle is walkable in downtown. Perhaps you can't live in downtown anymore as it's getting expensive. Try moving to a cheaper suburb?

Old 08-17-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
What is your BA degree in? That's a pretty important question before answering your question.

However in the main I think it makes little sense to move. You have a support network in place - why leave that? I suspect your difficulty in finding/retaining a job has a lot to do with your Aspberger's . Moving won't change that. Fix your problems in situ before moving. Most likely the place is not the issue.
My degree is in radio tv film.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Don't come to Vegas. I went to Seattle recently and I liked the change of weather and that Seattle is walkable in downtown. Perhaps you can't live in downtown anymore as it's getting expensive. Try moving to a cheaper suburb?
I dont live in downtown Seattle. I live in northgate seattle 7 miles north of downtown seattle. For me to get to pike place market i walk 2 blocks and take a bus that takes 10 minutes to get to pike place market.

Walking distance from my northgate seattle apartment is a target,best buy, large shopping mall called the northgate mall.

Also a qfc market is within walking distance of my apartment. Qfc is owned by kroger which also owns smiths market in las vegas.

The northgate mall has a barnes and noble,macys,nordstrom and jcpenny.

There is also a staduim movie theater within walking distance of my apartment.

I love my location in seattle.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I don't think you would save any money in Las Vegas. While the cost of living may be a bit lower, the added cost of a car (say, $20,000 for gently used good quality car) plus the cost of automobile insurance (by reputation, we have very high car insurance rates) would unfortunately more than make up for it.

In which field had you worked?
I have tried to tell my friends in LA and my x girlfriend who still lives in LA that i wouldnt save any money by living in las vegas verses Seattle. As a matter of fact it may even cost me more to live in las vegas. My x girlfriend and friends dont understand that i tell them that me living in seattle would even out price wise with las vegas.

Not to hurt anyones feelings on this forum but i actuallly hate las vegas as a place to live as i find it depressing.

Im very very happy living in seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: