Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:12 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

One of the few pluses of Las Vegas is the cheap week day air fares where you can fly back to L.A. for $39 one way on Southwest, get your TAP card, and ride the rails to Santa Monica and enjoy the beach for an afternoon, and catch the late flight back to Vegas.

Imagine what the night life would be like here without our tourists!!!! Closing time 1 AM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 12:14 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,014,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
This thread cracked me up because I learned much the same thing about LA the hard way. There is zero nightlife for such a big city. It's so boring for that! There's tons to do in a general sense don't get me wrong, but wow at night LA sucks. The other shocking thing to me is they're mostly cretins. It's gotten better but uhh yeah. The snooty attitude they had of being in The Big City sure didn't do any of these people any good when it comes to alcohol taste. I moved there and I almost wanted to be like, "Hi, my name is Jonathan. I come from an enlightened future time period (ok, Portland) where Bud Light is NOT a good beer and, no, Heineken is not an "import of choice" for anyone with taste. Also craft beer doesn't mean Blue Moon you bought at Safeway (which you strangely call Vons but whatever)." I couldn't find a good beer in LA in 2007. It was all garbage. It has finally gotten better but it's still laughable to anyone from Portland, Denver, Seattle, Bend, etc. They also don't even know hard alcohol. It's like oh yeah let's have some high quality tequila like Don Julio Silver! Umm yeah like that's ok to shoot but you SIP fine tequila and it's called anejo not silver. That's mixing tequila. Absinthe? Nope they never heard of it. Bottom line LA is a huge city but with a small hickish town taste in alcohol and night life. Not sure why this is but they're clueless. It's better now than 2007 but as long as you have a lame 2 am closing time and most places closing at 1 then you have Sleepyville, USA. Not sure you could find a more boring major city if you tried.
So that's why they all come to Las Vegas to party and the nightlife, interesting.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:38 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,011 times
Quote:
This thread cracked me up because I learned much the same thing about LA the hard way. There is zero nightlife for such a big city. It's so boring for that! There's tons to do in a general sense don't get me wrong, but wow at night LA sucks. The other shocking thing to me is they're mostly cretins. It's gotten better but uhh yeah. The snooty attitude they had of being in The Big City sure didn't do any of these people any good when it comes to alcohol taste. I moved there and I almost wanted to be like, "Hi, my name is Jonathan. I come from an enlightened future time period (ok, Portland) where Bud Light is NOT a good beer and, no, Heineken is not an "import of choice" for anyone with taste. Also craft beer doesn't mean Blue Moon you bought at Safeway (which you strangely call Vons but whatever)." I couldn't find a good beer in LA in 2007. It was all garbage. It has finally gotten better but it's still laughable to anyone from Portland, Denver, Seattle, Bend, etc. They also don't even know hard alcohol. It's like oh yeah let's have some high quality tequila like Don Julio Silver! Umm yeah like that's ok to shoot but you SIP fine tequila and it's called anejo not silver. That's mixing tequila. Absinthe? Nope they never heard of it. Bottom line LA is a huge city but with a small hickish town taste in alcohol and night life. Not sure why this is but they're clueless. It's better now than 2007 but as long as you have a lame 2 am closing time and most places closing at 1 then you have Sleepyville, USA. Not sure you could find a more boring major city if you tried.
So your whole LA experience is based on alcohol and closing time at the bars?

Such depth, I must say...

Yeah, you'll fit right in, in Vegas!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:40 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
So your whole LA experience is based on alcohol and closing time at the bars?

Such depth, I must say...

Yeah, you'll fit right in, in Vegas!
Uhh do you want to start? Really? Did I say that was my whole experience?

Let me start, you finish by telling me what you've ever accomplished in your life how does that sound?

In Los Angeles I directed 4 music videos and 2 short film, work that went to more than 40 film festivals nationwide and won numerous awards.

I wrote and directed a distributed feature film you can find on iTunes, Amazon, previously on Hulu, CinemaNow, still on XBox, and many other digital platforms that won Best Comedy Feature 3 times and another several nominations. I also joined the Directors Guild of America on this film and can still walk into my guild where every major director in North America is a part any day I want.

I started a nationwide corporate video production company that celebrated 9 years in business last week and over 700 videos produced for clients like Charter Spectrum, Paul Mitchell, Grant Thornton, Brookdale Senior Living, and Perricone MD among dozens and dozens of midsized and small companies.

That's what *I* did in LA! I worked my butt off. What have YOU done, in general, ever?! Oh and I also promoted the two books I wrote when I first moved to the city. You know, because unlike you, my name shows up online; I'm not hard to find.

PS: I haven't drank in 18 months. I've been too busy working on my 300 pound bench press and keeping my body and mind in shape. What do you look like? I look like a fitness model, on top of what I wrote above intellectually. If I had to guess there's nothing you can do that I can't do better.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Uhh do you want to start? Really? Did I say that was my whole experience?

Let me start, you finish by telling me what you've ever accomplished in your life how does that sound?

In Los Angeles I directed 4 music videos and 2 short film, work that went to more than 40 film festivals nationwide and won numerous awards.

I wrote and directed a distributed feature film you can find on iTunes, Amazon, previously on Hulu, CinemaNow, still on XBox, and many other digital platforms that won Best Comedy Feature 3 times and another several nominations. I also joined the Directors Guild of America on this film and can still walk into my guild where every major director in North America is a part any day I want.

I started a nationwide corporate video production company that celebrated 9 years in business last week and over 700 videos produced for clients like Charter Spectrum, Paul Mitchell, Grant Thornton, Brookdale Senior Living, and Perricone MD among dozens and dozens of midsized and small companies.

That's what *I* did in LA! I worked my butt off. What have YOU done, in general, ever?! Oh and I also promoted the two books I wrote when I first moved to the city. You know, because unlike you, my name shows up online; I'm not hard to find.
So, you want plaudits or something?

Ooooooooh, your name "shows up online"? And, let me guess, people weren't tripping over themselves to roll out the red carpet for you and that must have just ticked you off, royally I'll bet?

L.A. outgrew douchebags about a decade ago, so yeah, you probably don't feel at home here, I'm guessing?

Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Yeah I see you have nothing of substance to say. When you act judgmental to other people, and then you literally have NOTHING to say about what you've ever accomplished or done. Do you know why? Because you've done nothing. You can't do anything but fling baseless insults at people that really have no merit. It's sad, you must have very low self esteem.

I'll still be waiting on any sort of answer for what you've done with your time. I think I was pretty thorough in addressing your baseless statement. You? Not so much, content to be a keyboard warrior I guess. And I don't live in Las Vegas yet. When I move there, you'll be able to find me in a gated community of Summerlin. You wouldn't be able to afford my zip code sadly.

PS: I get my plaudits from people who matter, like film festivals, paying clients, and others who actually know what they're doing. The last thing I need is plaudits from a loser on an Internet forum.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah I see you have nothing of substance to say. When you act judgmental to other people, and then you literally have NOTHING to say about what you've ever accomplished or done. Do you know why? Because you've done nothing. You can't do anything but fling baseless insults at people that really have no merit. It's sad, you must have very low self esteem.

I'll still be waiting on any sort of answer for what you've done with your time. I think I was pretty thorough in addressing your baseless statement. You? Not so much, content to be a keyboard warrior I guess. And I don't live in Las Vegas yet. When I move there, you'll be able to find me in a gated community of Summerlin. You wouldn't be able to afford my zip code sadly.

PS: I get my plaudits from people who matter, like film festivals, paying clients, and others who actually know what they're doing. The last thing I need is plaudits from a loser on an Internet forum.
You know what, Sweety? Most people who actually DO things with their time don't go around talking about them...they just do them. They don't expect to be noticed, they don't expect awards or ceremonies or their name on a marquise. They, in all honesty, don't even expect to be paid. It's a values thing. Perhaps this is your biggest disconnect with L.A. and life in general? People with your mentality come to L.A. and expect to be venerated. That may have been true in decades past, but the city has matured significantly since then.

I don't need to live in a "gated community in Summerlin", because I like where I live here in L.A., I like my eclectic neighborhood and I am very comfortable here. I love that I live in California and that we value things like education, health care and the environment. I don't mind paying more in taxes to see those things through. I don't need a "gate" around my house to make me feel like a better person, or more superior, because I don't have an inferiority complex and the need to demonstrate a superficial sense of superiority. Again, it's a values thing, Sweety! What was it you were saying about me having low self-esteem? Oh, the irony.

If I want a stuccoed beige or tan home with a gate around it, there's plenty of it nearby in Santa Clarita, Thousand Oaks or the Inland Empire and, yes, I can afford it. So, no thanks! I'm not interested.

I don't need to tell you about money, because....honestly...money comes and money goes. I come from a family where one side has been wealthy for five generations now. The other side came from nothing. Money may make your life more comfortable for the time being, but it doesn't always bring happiness. That's one of the hardest lessons you'll realize as someone who self-professes to be nouveau riche.

I think you sort of bit off more than you could chew here, on multiple levels.

Last edited by kttam186290; 08-26-2017 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: ,,,

Old 08-28-2017, 04:59 AM

2,538 posts, read 2,735,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolus413 View Post
I'd dreamt about moving from Florida to the west coast for a good ten years. Circumstances permitted me to make the move almost two years ago. It was always going to be LA or Vegas. Went with LA because I wanted to be closer to the water and all that. Love the vibe and scene of LA living, but I barely make the trek to the coast with traffic, and more importantly, haven't made any headway in my career goals.

The plan was to get a bartending job at a nightclub, and leave my daytime hours free to work a second job (for fun and extra income) at a motorcycle shop (doing custom builds, fabrication, etc.). Super long term goal is to open up my own fabrication/bike shop and work on my own stuff.

What I didn't anticipate moving to the second largest US city, though, is that the "club" scene in LA is not really there. It's more of a "bar" type city. Watering holes, dive bars, small lounges, etc. Proper, large nightclubs are few and far between, so it's been tough going trying to land a job in one of these places. I've been bartending at a restaurant/cocktail lounge and have made decent money, but my working hours prevent me from picking up that daytime job as planned. I want to work later hours, get away from food altogether, and maximize the money I can make in the least amount of time. Leave my days open to pursue my passion.

18 months in, I've decided I've had enough. I'm moving to Vegas, where there are more job opportunities in my chosen field. I've done the research about union clubs, and plan on taking the five month course to get my pour card. I understand I won't be able to bartend at a union place until I get that card. I'm not averse to picking up extra hours or a second job until I do.

Not really concerned about expenses as I make the transition. I live below my means. I came out to LA with $20k in savings, and expect to move with $40k. Don't mind being unemployed for a while if I have to (though I don't anticipate it with the high concentration of places I can apply at). I've also mapped out places of interest (grocery stores, banks, DMV, storage facilities, crime statistics, etc.) so I have a good idea of what parts of the city are good to live in. Drink very rarely and only on social occasions (odd for a bartender, I know), and I don't gamble or do drugs, so not worried about the city's vices.

Never would have guessed that all this time, LA was only practice for Vegas. Very excited to start this new chapter in my life and finally make progress with my goals and dreams...
Personally I think you will like Las Vegas a lot better than SoCal. I could go on a whole rant about this.

I have lived most of my life in Ca. I don't really know about the bar/night club scene. There are other reasons that I can't wait to get out of Ca. I have watched the quality of life deteriorate over the years in Ca. It used to be alright back in the 80s and 90s but has gradually lost that attraction. I think mainly because of overpopulation and high prices of living here. The main attraction is the weather and beaches. It is bad enough going to the beach on a regular weekend but try going on a holiday weekend like the one coming up. So what is left?

The traffic here is the worst in the country. Rush hour used to start around 4pm like normal states. Now it starts around 2pm maybe earlier. I have to plan my life around the traffic.

We bought a house in Las Vegas around 2011 and have been living there part of the year. We never go to the strip or night clubs. Our neighborhood looks like any neighborhood in Ca. I have met very friendly people. There is traffic on the freeway when you would expect it around 5pm.
I have to adjust when I come back to Ca.

You will like it here a lot better than Ca. You should have no problem getting a job since there are many clubs around even off the strip. You will pay less rent and if you buy a house it will be a lot less than Ca.

As soon as the right time comes we plan on retiring here and that can't come soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas