U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 12:45 PM

45 posts, read 28,899 times

Advertisements

I'd dreamt about moving from Florida to the west coast for a good ten years. Circumstances permitted me to make the move almost two years ago. It was always going to be LA or Vegas. Went with LA because I wanted to be closer to the water and all that. Love the vibe and scene of LA living, but I barely make the trek to the coast with traffic, and more importantly, haven't made any headway in my career goals.

The plan was to get a bartending job at a nightclub, and leave my daytime hours free to work a second job (for fun and extra income) at a motorcycle shop (doing custom builds, fabrication, etc.). Super long term goal is to open up my own fabrication/bike shop and work on my own stuff.

What I didn't anticipate moving to the second largest US city, though, is that the "club" scene in LA is not really there. It's more of a "bar" type city. Watering holes, dive bars, small lounges, etc. Proper, large nightclubs are few and far between, so it's been tough going trying to land a job in one of these places. I've been bartending at a restaurant/cocktail lounge and have made decent money, but my working hours prevent me from picking up that daytime job as planned. I want to work later hours, get away from food altogether, and maximize the money I can make in the least amount of time. Leave my days open to pursue my passion.

18 months in, I've decided I've had enough. I'm moving to Vegas, where there are more job opportunities in my chosen field. I've done the research about union clubs, and plan on taking the five month course to get my pour card. I understand I won't be able to bartend at a union place until I get that card. I'm not averse to picking up extra hours or a second job until I do.

Not really concerned about expenses as I make the transition. I live below my means. I came out to LA with $20k in savings, and expect to move with $40k. Don't mind being unemployed for a while if I have to (though I don't anticipate it with the high concentration of places I can apply at). I've also mapped out places of interest (grocery stores, banks, DMV, storage facilities, crime statistics, etc.) so I have a good idea of what parts of the city are good to live in. Drink very rarely and only on social occasions (odd for a bartender, I know), and I don't gamble or do drugs, so not worried about the city's vices.

Never would have guessed that all this time, LA was only practice for Vegas. Very excited to start this new chapter in my life and finally make progress with my goals and dreams...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 01:47 PM

583 posts, read 251,361 times
Best of luck! I hope you enjoy it here! You're smart to have enough money built up in savings to tide you over until you finish your course and can find work. I always give myself a giant facepalm when I read new threads about people who are super excited to move out here and want to know if $500 is enough to last them for three months until they find a job.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Best of luck! I hope you enjoy it here! You're smart to have enough money built up in savings to tide you over until you finish your course and can find work. I always give myself a giant facepalm when I read new threads about people who are super excited to move out here and want to know if $500 is enough to last them for three months until they find a job.
Thanks! When I first moved out to LA I didn't know a soul out here, and I didn't have a job or place to live lined up. Just had all my research, and plenty of money saved. That was ballsy enough as it is, imo. Moving to a new city with just a few hundred saved is another level entirely!

Right now the big dilemma that I'm trying to decide between are the following two options.

Option 1:
Move into a 1-bedroom apartment ($650-$750 monthly), and keep all my tools and shop stuff in storage ($60 monthly). Wouldn't have space to work on my bike stuff in this scenario. After one year of working and acquiring stability, reevaluate my living options.

Option 2:
Lease an extended stay suite for just a month or two ($200 weekly). During that time scout out commercial space (warehouse units) that would be perfect for a small bike shop (HVAC, concrete floor, roll-up door, bathroom with toilet and sink). Lease the commercial unit ($850-$1100 monthly) while citing the motel as my residence, then surreptitiously move in when the 1-2 month lease is up. Live in the warehouse unit while not being overt about it. Get a mini fridge, microwave. Join a 24-hour gym with shower facilities. Use a laundromat to wash clothes.

In the second scenario, I can work on my stuff during the day, so it would appear as though I'm keeping shop hours. Most of the nightclubs I'd be applying at would have me working from 10pm - 4am. So that means I'd be leaving the unit for work around 9pm. To an outside observer it would look like I've closed up shop for the night. I'd return around 5:30am-6am, which would be consistent with someone coming in to start a work day.

It's dishonest, but I'm just a guy trying to work on some projects and keep my expenses down. I'm not in a relationship (career would come first anyway), don't have kids or pets, and don't plan on throwing parties at the shop or having people over to hang out. I don't see myself drawing undue attention to myself.

The big concern, though, is of a random inspection, etc. that might alert the managers of someone living in the commercial unit. At which point I'd be looking at violation of lease terms, maybe fines and/or eviction.

Going to be reaching out to some property managers and hoping I find one who only cares about monthly rents being paid and doesn't concern themselves too much with what the tenants do in their units...

Old 08-17-2017, 03:31 PM

1,798 posts, read 976,621 times
Vegas is much much cheaper than LA for cost of living so you should be fine. Lot of people move to Nashville to work in the bars/clubs and tourist industry but it is still nothing like Vegas. Good Luck man

Old 08-17-2017, 06:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
Your option #2 is done here. We have had units in several different locations and have seen guys doing this very thing.

Right now I pay $140.00 per month for a 10x15 swamp cooled.

Don't get a pet, it really complicates getting a place to live. Can run up the COL. Or get some fish or frogs.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:58 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
I'd think you'd probably be fine with #2, honestly. It's not something I'd want to do in the long-term, though.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:05 AM

4,317 posts, read 5,265,036 times
This thread cracked me up because I learned much the same thing about LA the hard way. There is zero nightlife for such a big city. It's so boring for that! There's tons to do in a general sense don't get me wrong, but wow at night LA sucks. The other shocking thing to me is they're mostly cretins. It's gotten better but uhh yeah. The snooty attitude they had of being in The Big City sure didn't do any of these people any good when it comes to alcohol taste. I moved there and I almost wanted to be like, "Hi, my name is Jonathan. I come from an enlightened future time period (ok, Portland) where Bud Light is NOT a good beer and, no, Heineken is not an "import of choice" for anyone with taste. Also craft beer doesn't mean Blue Moon you bought at Safeway (which you strangely call Vons but whatever)." I couldn't find a good beer in LA in 2007. It was all garbage. It has finally gotten better but it's still laughable to anyone from Portland, Denver, Seattle, Bend, etc. They also don't even know hard alcohol. It's like oh yeah let's have some high quality tequila like Don Julio Silver! Umm yeah like that's ok to shoot but you SIP fine tequila and it's called anejo not silver. That's mixing tequila. Absinthe? Nope they never heard of it. Bottom line LA is a huge city but with a small hickish town taste in alcohol and night life. Not sure why this is but they're clueless. It's better now than 2007 but as long as you have a lame 2 am closing time and most places closing at 1 then you have Sleepyville, USA. Not sure you could find a more boring major city if you tried.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
^^^ Boring cities - you been to the midwest?

Hakkason didn't work in LA. That to me shows its not a night life kind of town. (Spell check doesn't even have the word Hakkason. My apologies if its wrong.)

Old 08-18-2017, 08:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,725,773 times
If you're really, really good with building bikes, you might want to check in with Danny Koker (Kounts Kustoms) when you get here.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Your option #2 is done here. We have had units in several different locations and have seen guys doing this very thing.

Right now I pay $140.00 per month for a 10x15 swamp cooled.
Wow, do you have to do much sneaking around to do that? I imagine it would be harder to disguise living in a 150 sq. ft unit versus a 1000 sq. ft unit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'd think you'd probably be fine with #2, honestly. It's not something I'd want to do in the long-term, though.
My end game is to own a warehouse building and have an ultra-modern loft apartment upstairs, with the motorcycle shop downstairs! My little slice of heaven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
This thread cracked me up because I learned much the same thing about LA the hard way. There is zero nightlife for such a big city. It's so boring for that! There's tons to do in a general sense don't get me wrong, but wow at night LA sucks.
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say that it sucks at night, but it definitely dies down early. I love the DTLA area, but I hate how dead it gets at night. There's literally no one walking around. Entire blocks and streets are devoid of life. All shops closed up, etc. Nothing going on there. I'd thought briefly about living in a loft downtown but couldn't see myself making any money bartending in such an area.

Ironically, my hometown of Orlando, FL has a pathetically small downtown area that is maybe four square blocks, but it gets slamming busy almost every night. Like, shoving through the crowd kind of busy. I thought LA would be that, (except on a bigger scale) but no. It's so spread out you don't really get those kind of crowds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Hakkason didn't work in LA. That to me shows its not a night life kind of town.
That's interesting, I didn't know that Hakkasan was originally in LA. I find it funny that all the billboards out here are advertising clubs in Vegas. Never understood why, but I guess it shows you how bad the night scene is in LA, that the local clubs don't even bother to compete for ad space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
If you're really, really good with building bikes, you might want to check in with Danny Koker (Kounts Kustoms) when you get here.
Thanks, I definitely plan to. If things go right I'll be living in the vicinity of his shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas