U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:47 PM

8,014 posts, read 5,347,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
<>You can get quotes from local installers and decide if the payback on the capital investment is worth it?<>
What I was trying to get at was simple. Often left out of evaluating the project as worthwhile or not is the future value versus the present value of your money spent on home improvements.
The value of the capital investment for the improvement has to be the same or better than you can do just investing the money.
Here is a site with a simple explanation of my point.
https://www.mathsisfun.com/money/int...te-return.html
"and I did have one"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 06:19 PM

13,469 posts, read 24,310,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Both Ways View Post
Thank you Crashj007.

We plan to heat the pool with a gas heater, so we will need solar electric for the home. We are hoping to hear from more members here to see how solar electric is working out for them.
I would urge you to do more research. Solar is one of the best ever options for any pool. The whole thing can easily be run with DC power and a no maintenance brushless pump. You use the heated air exhaust to heat the water plus use black pipes wherever you can. If you choose to heat your pool in the winter it will cost you close to $300 per month in gas. And the pump runs whenever the sun is out and that's it.

A regular pool pump will cost you something close to $100 per month in electricity. You can trim that down some with a variable speed pump but it's still expensive. That pool is probably the easiest big ticket item you can take off the grid! A pool system is easy and you don't need to deal with NVEnergy to do it either.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:14 PM

8,014 posts, read 5,347,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I would urge you to do more research. Solar is one of the best ever options for any pool.<>
Is it feasible to recover some of the heat given off by the HVAC system? Maybe a big black PVC coil above the outside unit?
Also with a DC pump, could that be run off of a solar electric panel system? That would minimise the battery needed and eliminate the inverter?

Old 08-18-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Is it feasible to recover some of the heat given off by the HVAC system? Maybe a big black PVC coil above the outside unit?
Also with a DC pump, could that be run off of a solar electric panel system? That would minimise the battery needed and eliminate the inverter?
Yes. And all you need is one deep cycle battery and it's only used at startup if at all. And you got the reasoning for a DC pump too. No inverter because you don't need to convert to AC. And DC pumps are maintenance free workhorses. The pool makes so much sense, it's a no brainer!

The system I designed is similar to this. SunRay Solar Pool Pumps - Solar Powered Pool Pumps - Residential & Commercial Solar Energy Solutions - SunRay Engineering Mine will need 4 panels. I already had the solar heater on roof thing and I just took it down. It leaked consistently. Every time the wind blew, it leaked again. So I already have pipes up to the roof. I plan to use the heat generated by the pump and then take the water up to the roof through a 4 or 5in black pvc pipe. I have a valve to turn off the heat because in the summer, the pool can get too hot! I also have a gas heater I use for the spa. Solar is good, but not that good!

Next I am putting in adjunct 48V DC AC units in the office and master bedroom. I will use the AC when it's hot and just run the fan for the rest of the year. Solar & DC Air Conditioners | 48v DC Solar & Telecom Air Conditioner Heat Pump | Off-Grid Air Conditioning

None of this is grid connected or requires permits/permission from NVEnergy.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 PM

6 posts, read 4,582 times
Quote:
I would urge you to do more research. Solar is one of the best ever options for any pool. The whole thing can easily be run with DC power and a no maintenance brushless pump. You use the heated air exhaust to heat the water plus use black pipes wherever you can. If you choose to heat your pool in the winter it will cost you close to $300 per month in gas. And the pump runs whenever the sun is out and that's it.

A regular pool pump will cost you something close to $100 per month in electricity. You can trim that down some with a variable speed pump but it's still expensive. That pool is probably the easiest big ticket item you can take off the grid! A pool system is easy and you don't need to deal with NVEnergy to do it either.
Yellowsnow I didn't think about that. That's a brilliant idea!

Thank you.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:56 PM

12,870 posts, read 9,548,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas taco View Post
A or B shares??
Sadly, I only own B shares.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM

60 posts, read 70,907 times
Quote:
Yes. And all you need is one deep cycle battery and it's only used at startup if at all. And you got the reasoning for a DC pump too. No inverter because you don't need to convert to AC. And DC pumps are maintenance free workhorses. The pool makes so much sense, it's a no brainer!

The system I designed is similar to this. SunRay Solar Pool Pumps - Solar Powered Pool Pumps - Residential & Commercial Solar Energy Solutions - SunRay Engineering Mine will need 4 panels. I already had the solar heater on roof thing and I just took it down. It leaked consistently. Every time the wind blew, it leaked again. So I already have pipes up to the roof. I plan to use the heat generated by the pump and then take the water up to the roof through a 4 or 5in black pvc pipe. I have a valve to turn off the heat because in the summer, the pool can get too hot! I also have a gas heater I use for the spa. Solar is good, but not that good!

Next I am putting in adjunct 48V DC AC units in the office and master bedroom. I will use the AC when it's hot and just run the fan for the rest of the year. Solar & DC Air Conditioners | 48v DC Solar & Telecom Air Conditioner Heat Pump | Off-Grid Air Conditioning

None of this is grid connected or requires permits/permission from NVEnergy.
What does DC stand for?

Old 08-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD Hawaii98 View Post
What does DC stand for?
Direct current. Most of what we use here is AC, alternating current.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:05 PM

11,604 posts, read 22,758,040 times
Quote:

solar gains you a few extra months of swimming..you can't swim on new years.... get the gas heater.. heat the pool when you want to use it. in my opinion, solar heating for a pool is a joke. i spent $2500 for my heater... at new years, i put the pool upto 100 degrees.. like a spa... i have spa jets in the pool itself... my gas costs me about $30 for a weekend.

also get a variable speed pump (IT IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE). i recommend Pentair. Cost is about $1000 installed. My electric each month for my pool runs about 25 dollars at most... My electric bill for the whole house (october to may) averages $70. (jun to sept) $160. i keep the house at 72 during non prime hours june to sept

Old 08-20-2017, 03:40 PM

10,070 posts, read 8,523,529 times
What ever happened with the net-metering wars out there? Did that ever get settled? Can you put in solar, and get net metering at decent rates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas