U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:33 PM

10,712 posts, read 3,748,229 times

Advertisements

One can try... the most likely are expensive and new ones where the builder gets greedy. In general the established 55+ reserve the 20% for the special cases where a person passes leaving an underage spouse. In general the boards tend to favor those close to the age limit and decline those further away.

And you have to be careful of the exact language in the CC&Rs. Otherwise the builder can let you in and then the HOA throws you out when the residents take over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,752,885 times
You're expectations of a senior community are excessively inaccurate. They are not cheaper but more expensive to live in. Crime does not happen to be any lower. They are not all bliss and peace. I live in one. Grandchildren come to visit so there are kids. Not everyone gets along. Many seniors are bitter about how their lives turned out and you get handed this when you encounter them. Many of them have given up on life and never leave their homes. Very few work in their yards. Many do not care and many hire workers to do the basics. If the community has a golf course, monthly hoa dues will be high for their maintainence. And also there are very stict hoa regulations. I.E. what gate you walk out of at the pool, if you have sat on a pool step, what you can being to the pool, when you can swim, etc., and it is very hard to be an adult at least 55 and be treated like a kindergartner.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:08 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,389,796 times
^^^ Do you live in one? Not everyone gets along no matter where one lives.

Why should one work in their yard when you can pay someone to do that?

Many seniors that are bitter about their lives can't afford to live in an 55+ community.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:20 PM

64 posts, read 81,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
One sight that I won't forget is an elderly gentleman sitting on one of those old fashioned aluminum patio chairs with the nylon webbing in his open garage, no shirt, man boobs down his waistband with a clip board and pen writing down the license plate numbers for all cars coming and going.
I can't wait to live the dream...

Old 08-28-2017, 08:53 PM

429 posts, read 266,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
You're expectations of a senior community are excessively inaccurate. They are not cheaper but more expensive to live in. Crime does not happen to be any lower. They are not all bliss and peace. I live in one. Grandchildren come to visit so there are kids. Not everyone gets along. Many seniors are bitter about how their lives turned out and you get handed this when you encounter them. Many of them have given up on life and never leave their homes. Very few work in their yards. Many do not care and many hire workers to do the basics. If the community has a golf course, monthly hoa dues will be high for their maintainence. And also there are very stict hoa regulations. I.E. what gate you walk out of at the pool, if you have sat on a pool step, what you can being to the pool, when you can swim, etc., and it is very hard to be an adult at least 55 and be treated like a kindergartner.
Would the seniors mind if I see out on my patio doing bong hits?

Old 08-29-2017, 09:58 AM

^^^^^ they'd probably join you!

We are talking baby boomers who dominate these communities, not their parents. Free love generation, make love not war. Not the people behind reefer madness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbjHOBJzhb0

Old is a state of mind.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:53 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,752,885 times
Old is a state of how little or how much medical conditions have affected one's body. It might be interesting to see how many people 55 and older are no longer mobile. I would venture to say at least 25% of the inhabitants in S.C. use walkers or crutches.

Someone asked why people would work in their yards when they can afford to pay someone? The answer to that question is, many people are wise enough to know they must get physical exercise or they lose it and can end up with a humungous beer belly and man boobs.

And bitterness does not only come from lack of money. Many retirees are bitter because they are trapped in loveless marriages or have had many go wrong or the kids they dedicated their lives to grew up to be worthless or now, no longer have a place for them in their lives.

It's okay to have theories but live the life and you can talk from experience.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:39 AM

Many 55+ communities have work out facilities. Why be in the heat and searing sun to get exercise? I did all the yard work I wanted when I was younger and couldn't afford to pay someone. I want to sweat indoors or doing activities like hiking or traveling.

People perception that 55+ communities are God waiting rooms. Most people in are healthy people, younger than 80.
In fact most lately that have moved in are 55 to 60. The sick ones or older are selling and going to a home or moving near their children where they are from.

I live a great life, probably been exposed to more of the nice things in life than 95% of people.

People choose to stay in a loveless marriage. Life is a choice, you can be thankful every day your wake up or live in your first world problems.

Today with what is going on in Houston, I can't complain about the heat in Vegas.

Again life is a choice.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:58 PM

12,685 posts, read 9,432,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
It might be interesting to see how many people 55 and older are no longer mobile.
I'm well past 55 and I typically ski 750,000 to 1.25 million vertical feet each winter. But it is hard to walk the length of the parking lot in ski boots.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:27 PM

Past 55 too. I had a hard time walking in ski boots in my 20's! Weird angle.

A friend of ours last year was snow boarding (over 60) and really screwed up his arm, breaking it in several places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or