U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
 
28 posts, read 27,267 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

I work in broadcast news, and have taken a transfer from my current station in San Antonio (lived here a year and 9 months, before that North Dakota, Tulsa, and Chicago and my wife is from New Jersey. We move around a lot) to a station over in Vegas that I start in three weeks. I don't really know anything about the area, and the station is around North Las Vegas. Curious because they're going to start me on the early morning shift there (2am)

So questions:

1. Where could I find apartments in a decent area within 750-960$ per month, within a 20 minute or so radius to where I'll be working? I'm not picky about apartments, nothing extravagant, just a safe area is fine. Also pet friendly, and reasonable apartment is fine.

2. What do you all think of Horizon Ridge, Deep Summerlin, Aliante, and Henderson? They've all been recommended but I"m not sure if they're high class areas, regular areas, or what?

3. Are there any good apartment locator agencies you can recommend we could use?

4. My wife has Crohn's disease and dealing a lot with that and recommendations on a decent hospitals and clinics, because where we're at here is a nightmare(seriously, its amazing anyone is alive here) Basically whats up with the healthcare?

5. Any recommendations on grocery stores? Food?

6. How bad is the crime in North Vegas? What are the more safer areas there? Like here the best place to live is north of the 1604 Loop, second best is north of 410, West/North West SA, South SA, East/Northeast SA are either sketchy or really bad. (we live Northwest, kinda sketchy) I know crime it just really depends, and to just be aware of your surroundings and so on. But its nice to just be informed, also what kind of crimes around that area in North LV?

7. Also, do places contract out designers and artists for different things?

We have everything budgeted out, am aware it'll be tight for a while, don't have any vices like drinking or gambling or drugs or swinging, etc. We don't eat out or party constantly. So money isn't something I"m going to start worrying about as we're pretty frugal.

So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2017, 02:07 PM
 
2,132 posts, read 2,191,051 times
Reputation: 1301
Yes there are places that fit your budget and criteria. Call a realtor up and ask them to show you some rentals the next time you're in town. Have all your documents ready to put in an application(letter of job transfer, pay stubs going back two months, copy of your IDs and app fees).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,436 posts, read 24,216,791 times
Reputation: 24749
Pot is legal here and I have read it helps people with Crohn's. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 PM
 
10,748 posts, read 3,753,820 times
Reputation: 4698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicshroom View Post
I work in broadcast news, and have taken a transfer from my current station in San Antonio (lived here a year and 9 months, before that North Dakota, Tulsa, and Chicago and my wife is from New Jersey. We move around a lot) to a station over in Vegas that I start in three weeks. I don't really know anything about the area, and the station is around North Las Vegas. Curious because they're going to start me on the early morning shift there (2am)

So questions:

1. Where could I find apartments in a decent area within 750-960$ per month, within a 20 minute or so radius to where I'll be working? I'm not picky about apartments, nothing extravagant, just a safe area is fine. Also pet friendly, and reasonable apartment is fine.

2. What do you all think of Horizon Ridge, Deep Summerlin, Aliante, and Henderson? They've all been recommended but I"m not sure if they're high class areas, regular areas, or what?

3. Are there any good apartment locator agencies you can recommend we could use?

4. My wife has Crohn's disease and dealing a lot with that and recommendations on a decent hospitals and clinics, because where we're at here is a nightmare(seriously, its amazing anyone is alive here) Basically whats up with the healthcare?

5. Any recommendations on grocery stores? Food?

6. How bad is the crime in North Vegas? What are the more safer areas there? Like here the best place to live is north of the 1604 Loop, second best is north of 410, West/North West SA, South SA, East/Northeast SA are either sketchy or really bad. (we live Northwest, kinda sketchy) I know crime it just really depends, and to just be aware of your surroundings and so on. But its nice to just be informed, also what kind of crimes around that area in North LV?

7. Also, do places contract out designers and artists for different things?

We have everything budgeted out, am aware it'll be tight for a while, don't have any vices like drinking or gambling or drugs or swinging, etc. We don't eat out or party constantly. So money isn't something I"m going to start worrying about as we're pretty frugal.

So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Be a little careful. The only station I know of that claims an NLV home is not operating in NLV. Simply where it has its transmitter tower. That is KNXT which actually operates out of the far SW sat least 10 or 12 miles from NLV.

So if you want hints on where to live we need an address or cross streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 PM
 
28 posts, read 27,267 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Be a little careful. The only station I know of that claims an NLV home is not operating in NLV. Simply where it has its transmitter tower. That is KNXT which actually operates out of the far SW sat least 10 or 12 miles from NLV.

So if you want hints on where to live we need an address or cross streets.
Its on Foremaster Lane.

Its probably not NLV, I just assumed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 PM
 
10,748 posts, read 3,753,820 times
Reputation: 4698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicshroom View Post
Its on Foremaster Lane.

Its probably not NLV, I just assumed.
It may well be in NLV but it is really in the northern end of downtown. So your real choices for reasonable living are the downtown area - sometimes known as Zapposville or head well west on the 95 to the SW or Summerlin. Impractical to go north or east...the very bad parts of town unless you go a long way. Would not want that on a 2AM shift. Note though that you can come a long way in Vegas at 2AM.

I would suggest Downtown or west side on Summerlin Pkwy. Watch you DM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Paranoid State
12,685 posts, read 9,438,208 times
Reputation: 14942
Once you are here, let us know. We can point you to some fun and affordable things to do, and give you practical tips for daily living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 AM
 
Location: In a secret bunker under the Cannery
981 posts, read 705,681 times
Reputation: 635
Do you do the weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 12:11 PM
 
28 posts, read 27,267 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It may well be in NLV but it is really in the northern end of downtown. So your real choices for reasonable living are the downtown area - sometimes known as Zapposville or head well west on the 95 to the SW or Summerlin. Impractical to go north or east...the very bad parts of town unless you go a long way. Would not want that on a 2AM shift. Note though that you can come a long way in Vegas at 2AM.

I would suggest Downtown or west side on Summerlin Pkwy. Watch you DM.
Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Do you do the weather?
Nope, just an editor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2017, 06:36 PM
 
272 posts, read 136,650 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicshroom View Post
Its on Foremaster Lane.

Its probably not NLV, I just assumed.
Yeah, uhm. Don't live there, or anywhere near there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top