Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM

28 posts, read 34,906 times

Advertisements

I work in broadcast news, and have taken a transfer from my current station in San Antonio (lived here a year and 9 months, before that North Dakota, Tulsa, and Chicago and my wife is from New Jersey. We move around a lot) to a station over in Vegas that I start in three weeks. I don't really know anything about the area, and the station is around North Las Vegas. Curious because they're going to start me on the early morning shift there (2am)

So questions:

1. Where could I find apartments in a decent area within 750-960$ per month, within a 20 minute or so radius to where I'll be working? I'm not picky about apartments, nothing extravagant, just a safe area is fine. Also pet friendly, and reasonable apartment is fine.

2. What do you all think of Horizon Ridge, Deep Summerlin, Aliante, and Henderson? They've all been recommended but I"m not sure if they're high class areas, regular areas, or what?

3. Are there any good apartment locator agencies you can recommend we could use?

4. My wife has Crohn's disease and dealing a lot with that and recommendations on a decent hospitals and clinics, because where we're at here is a nightmare(seriously, its amazing anyone is alive here) Basically whats up with the healthcare?

5. Any recommendations on grocery stores? Food?

6. How bad is the crime in North Vegas? What are the more safer areas there? Like here the best place to live is north of the 1604 Loop, second best is north of 410, West/North West SA, South SA, East/Northeast SA are either sketchy or really bad. (we live Northwest, kinda sketchy) I know crime it just really depends, and to just be aware of your surroundings and so on. But its nice to just be informed, also what kind of crimes around that area in North LV?

7. Also, do places contract out designers and artists for different things?

We have everything budgeted out, am aware it'll be tight for a while, don't have any vices like drinking or gambling or drugs or swinging, etc. We don't eat out or party constantly. So money isn't something I"m going to start worrying about as we're pretty frugal.

So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 02:07 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times
Yes there are places that fit your budget and criteria. Call a realtor up and ask them to show you some rentals the next time you're in town. Have all your documents ready to put in an application(letter of job transfer, pay stubs going back two months, copy of your IDs and app fees).

Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Pot is legal here and I have read it helps people with Crohn's. Best of luck!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicshroom View Post
I work in broadcast news, and have taken a transfer from my current station in San Antonio (lived here a year and 9 months, before that North Dakota, Tulsa, and Chicago and my wife is from New Jersey. We move around a lot) to a station over in Vegas that I start in three weeks. I don't really know anything about the area, and the station is around North Las Vegas. Curious because they're going to start me on the early morning shift there (2am)

So questions:

1. Where could I find apartments in a decent area within 750-960$ per month, within a 20 minute or so radius to where I'll be working? I'm not picky about apartments, nothing extravagant, just a safe area is fine. Also pet friendly, and reasonable apartment is fine.

2. What do you all think of Horizon Ridge, Deep Summerlin, Aliante, and Henderson? They've all been recommended but I"m not sure if they're high class areas, regular areas, or what?

3. Are there any good apartment locator agencies you can recommend we could use?

4. My wife has Crohn's disease and dealing a lot with that and recommendations on a decent hospitals and clinics, because where we're at here is a nightmare(seriously, its amazing anyone is alive here) Basically whats up with the healthcare?

5. Any recommendations on grocery stores? Food?

6. How bad is the crime in North Vegas? What are the more safer areas there? Like here the best place to live is north of the 1604 Loop, second best is north of 410, West/North West SA, South SA, East/Northeast SA are either sketchy or really bad. (we live Northwest, kinda sketchy) I know crime it just really depends, and to just be aware of your surroundings and so on. But its nice to just be informed, also what kind of crimes around that area in North LV?

7. Also, do places contract out designers and artists for different things?

We have everything budgeted out, am aware it'll be tight for a while, don't have any vices like drinking or gambling or drugs or swinging, etc. We don't eat out or party constantly. So money isn't something I"m going to start worrying about as we're pretty frugal.

So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Be a little careful. The only station I know of that claims an NLV home is not operating in NLV. Simply where it has its transmitter tower. That is KNXT which actually operates out of the far SW sat least 10 or 12 miles from NLV.

So if you want hints on where to live we need an address or cross streets.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Be a little careful. The only station I know of that claims an NLV home is not operating in NLV. Simply where it has its transmitter tower. That is KNXT which actually operates out of the far SW sat least 10 or 12 miles from NLV.

So if you want hints on where to live we need an address or cross streets.
Its on Foremaster Lane.

Its probably not NLV, I just assumed.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
Quote:
Its on Foremaster Lane.

It may well be in NLV but it is really in the northern end of downtown. So your real choices for reasonable living are the downtown area - sometimes known as Zapposville or head well west on the 95 to the SW or Summerlin. Impractical to go north or east...the very bad parts of town unless you go a long way. Would not want that on a 2AM shift. Note though that you can come a long way in Vegas at 2AM.

I would suggest Downtown or west side on Summerlin Pkwy. Watch you DM.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:16 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Once you are here, let us know. We can point you to some fun and affordable things to do, and give you practical tips for daily living.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,151,950 times
Do you do the weather?

Old 08-23-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It may well be in NLV but it is really in the northern end of downtown. So your real choices for reasonable living are the downtown area - sometimes known as Zapposville or head well west on the 95 to the SW or Summerlin. Impractical to go north or east...the very bad parts of town unless you go a long way. Would not want that on a 2AM shift. Note though that you can come a long way in Vegas at 2AM.

I would suggest Downtown or west side on Summerlin Pkwy. Watch you DM.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
Do you do the weather?
Nope, just an editor.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:36 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,055,878 times
Quote:
Its on Foremaster Lane.

Yeah, uhm. Don't live there, or anywhere near there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas