U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:46 AM

10,683 posts, read 3,738,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
University hospital in 15 minutes - by helicopter. Most people are not going to need their ER unless they are shot, a tiger bites them in the neck or a really horrible car accident. Another hospital would stablize them and fly them there if that was needed.

Southern Hills in the SW is voted best hospital in Vegas.

Springs Preserves and Smith Center are 15 minutes apart.

I agree that we have a world class city here, for dining and entertainment. But the arts - no way. That is what a week trip is for - going to NYC, Boston Washington DC.

And yes we don't have the traffic of LA, NYC, San Fran.

There might be half acre lots left in the Ridges. Really one wants a septic system? That would be at the top of my rejection list. I laugh when people brag about them. I'm from the midwest, had friends that had them, things went bad and never again.
As to hospitals there are 3 three star hospitals. Southern Hills, Summerlin and St. Rose Rose of Lima.

I would note that my internist who has been practicing here does not believe Summerlin is a hospital of choice even though she was primarily there for 20 years. First choice out our way is Mountain View. So that gives you a clue...the star system picks hospitals with good patients not good medicine.

I would also think any condition threatening immediate death would be UMC. My cardiologist had his very badly damaged son sent there and stabilized before air ambulancing him to Stanford.

There is a vast difference in septic here versus the Midwest and East. In general the ground is well suited to septic here and is not a problem. The only septic problem I have come across is a 10 bed assisted living facility that is overloading their field. Other than that they work fine. In fact a client checked out a 40 year old one that was fine. There are fewer septic systems in the newer build as sewers are now available in most of the RNP. Our home for instance could be connected and would be if we had a septic failure. The newer septic system are a fancier design then the old ones and are even less likely to have a problem.

A half acre in the Ridges will run most of a million dollars. Vacant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 11:35 AM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
As to hospitals there are 3 three star hospitals. Southern Hills, Summerlin and St. Rose Rose of Lima.

I would note that my internist who has been practicing here does not believe Summerlin is a hospital of choice even though she was primarily there for 20 years. First choice out our way is Mountain View. So that gives you a clue...the star system picks hospitals with good patients not good medicine.

I would also think any condition threatening immediate death would be UMC. My cardiologist had his very badly damaged son sent there and stabilized before air ambulancing him to Stanford.

There is a vast difference in septic here versus the Midwest and East. In general the ground is well suited to septic here and is not a problem. The only septic problem I have come across is a 10 bed assisted living facility that is overloading their field. Other than that they work fine. In fact a client checked out a 40 year old one that was fine. There are fewer septic systems in the newer build as sewers are now available in most of the RNP. Our home for instance could be connected and would be if we had a septic failure. The newer septic system are a fancier design then the old ones and are even less likely to have a problem.

A half acre in the Ridges will run most of a million dollars. Vacant.
Ridges is not cheap. I had a half acre with grass etc. Hated the $1,000.00+ water bills.

My husband suffered a HUGE sub dermal hematoma. (my grammer check shows tomato for hematoma.) 80% die. He went to Southern Hills, no issue not going to UMC. Sound like you cardio's son was in some kind of accident. Agree that is the place to go for stuff happening most of us will never suffer from.

I'm with your internist. Know first hand stupid mistakes that were made on friends there.

Ok I trust you on knowing more about septic systems here. I still wouldn't want one. Our water is tested several times a day. I have a RO system and a true purification system.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Ridges is not cheap. I had a half acre with grass etc. Hated the $1,000.00+ water bills.

My husband suffered a HUGE sub dermal hematoma. (my grammer check shows tomato for hematoma.) 80% die. He went to Southern Hills, no issue not going to UMC. Sound like you cardio's son was in some kind of accident. Agree that is the place to go for stuff happening most of us will never suffer from.

I'm with your internist. Know first hand stupid mistakes that were made on friends there.

Ok I trust you on knowing more about septic systems here. I still wouldn't want one. Our water is tested several times a day. I have a RO system and a true purification system.
The wells out in your area or that far west are as deep as a thousand feet. Ours goes to 450 though we pump from 250 feet. The well water is much nicer than city water...it spent a couple of thousand years passing under the Spring Mountains. It is very hard though - those thousands of years again. There is actually a shallow aquifers above the level where we all pump from. So contamination from a septic field is very unlikely.

And we pay $50 a month for water.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:15 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,388,601 times
You pay more than me (But I'm close) except in the summer. 1/4 acre now, no grass, lots of established olive trees. No grass now. Highest bill this summer was $75.00

Do you have that reclamation yearly bill?

Does the Red Rock hotel have a well? Most of the hotels on the strip have their own systems correct?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You pay more than me (But I'm close) except in the summer. 1/4 acre now, no grass, lots of established olive trees. No grass now. Highest bill this summer was $75.00

Do you have that reclamation yearly bill?

Does the Red Rock hotel have a well? Most of the hotels on the strip have their own systems correct?
I have 3000 SF of lawn. Go over 1,000 gallons a day in the summer.

No bills. The well guy may get one but I don't.

I doubt Red Rock has one though they might. They can be bought. They are common on the strip and run with the properties mostly. The neighborhoods to the west of Rancho and south of Alta often have an Association with wells for landscape water as well as municipal water for interior use.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 PM

620 posts, read 444,730 times
Most hospitals in this city give poor, sometimes acceptable care, despite how many "stars" they are awarded or other recognition they receive. I work at several hospital campuses in town, and was shocked how lacking healthcare is here compared to the state I was previously in. There are some very lazy hospital providers here (yes, meaning physicians), at ALL of the hospital systems. God bless if you are hospitalized in Las Vegas NV.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:53 AM

11,573 posts, read 22,669,562 times
i still recommend Summerlin (i had my open heart surgery there) - no complaints

Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 AM

243 posts, read 135,143 times
Lovely homes!!!!!!! I think that the Spanish-Tuscan "look" is a bit 2004 -pre crash style of living. Please, no more tile roofs, fake stucco, acres of arches, weird little windows and all that. Give me a modern style "Palm Springs" box.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 AM

Have you not seen the soon to be finished sometime in 2018 CC-215 and Ann Road interchange? They are working on some of the little stuff now for the soon to be widened Ann Road "Freeway" between CC-215 and Durango. Glad I got out when I did and am seeing more and more getting out as well. The same will be for Lone Mountain between CC-215 and Durango when they too will get rid of the sawtooth roadways.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:17 AM

In those areas, of septic tanks, there are wells, and no access to natural gas apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or